Whey Protein Blues

I rely extensively on whey protein to reach my protein goals. After testing my body through eliminating and including whey (and other dairy) in my diet, it would seem I have two major effects

1. Staying smooth and bloated
  2. acne break outs

Anyone else experience this problem, if so what was your solution? If the answer is more flesh and less whey, recommendations on how to choke down 200-300g protein daily without supplements would be appreciated.

What do you mean you rely extensively on shakes? do you drink 4 or 5 a day?
It ain’t hard to get that level if you look at cottage cheese, chicken, steak… tuna, salmon… I seem to do ok… Just a little of each …+ 2 shakes a day…

Pink Salmon is canned, fairly palatable, cheap, and very nutritious. I eat about a half can every day.

Go buy a turkey breast (a turkey without wings and legs) and roast it. It should be no more than $1 a lb, and weigh 8-12 lbs. After roasting, debone the meat, trash the carcass, and store. Do more than one and freeze the breasts after cooking and deboning for easy reheating.

Eat cottage cheese when you wake up and before you go to sleep for the slow protein release (casein).

Have a shake between meals.

Hard boil a dozen and a half eggs, peel them, trash the yolks, and mix the shredded whites with fresh spinach (the frozen stuff tastes like metal to me).

You should be able to do 200+ g a day with no hassle if you have precooked poultry on hand, canned salmon, cottage cheese, and eggs. Those are the protein staples of my diet, since they are cheap and I’m a student. If you are feeling extravagant on some nights, throw a steak on the grill or in the cast iron pan.

By the way, what protein are you using? Problems like gas are usually associated with cheaper protein powders. Acne should not be affected by diet, unless it’s diet related stress causing acne.

[quote]CRisenhoover wrote:
I rely extensively on whey protein to reach my protein goals. After testing my body through eliminating and including whey (and other dairy) in my diet, it would seem I have two major effects

1. Staying smooth and bloated
  2. acne break outs

Anyone else experience this problem, if so what was your solution? If the answer is more flesh and less whey, recommendations on how to choke down 200-300g protein daily without supplements would be appreciated.[/quote]

Unless you simply don’t like to eat food, I don’t see how anyone could have much of a problem getting down 200gr of protein daily without any supplementation at all. If it is that difficult for anyone, I really have to question your concepts of how you should be eating and what results you expect by eating that way. One salmon filet has over 40gr of protein. The average chicken breast has close to 30gr. When gaining, I probably eat close to 2lbs of beef a day. That along with the rest of my meals usually keeps me from needing a protein shake aside from directly after training sometimes. Unless you are over 240-250lbs, there shouldn’t be that much of a problem. As far as you “staying smooth”, what are your goals? Do you expect to get leaner AND gain muscle at the exact same time? Are you saying you are dieting and whey keeps fat on you?

I thought by staying smooth he was talking about his bowel movements? shrug