T Nation

Whey Protein Beginner

So I went and picked up Whey Protein specifically Balance’s 100% Whey.

It was definitely out of my price range but a sacrifice I decided to make. I’ve got 2 months left of my current training (then I return to America) so I want to be in the best condition ever.

I’m hitting the gym about 3 times a week, running 3 times a week, and swimming once a week. To conserve protein powder I was thinking of taking it only on days when I go to the gym. But then the real question is should I take it after swimming as well? I’m a beginner at swimming so usually only swim for about 45minutes to an hour.

I do eat oatmeal so was thinking of doing protein drink after my gym time and protein oatmeal after swimming. Would that be a good way of doing it?

Then while at it I’m training primarily for the Marine Corps Officer Candidate School. I was told to be as lean as possible but wondering if I should try to add a bit of weight through lean muscle by taking a Lean Protein formula instead or maybe even the Mass Building Protein. Obviously I’m gonna finish this one first but for the next container. I weigh 150lbs and am 5’9

Oh and before I make an ass of myself shouldn’t the Balance container I bought come with some sort of scoop? It says 2.5 scoops (30g) but didn’t have any scoop device inside of it so I did the math of 4 Tablespoons = 25g and approximated my serving yesterday. Is this normal for there to be no scoop inside of it?

Look in the bottom; there’s almost always a scoop. Try searching around the bottom with a serving spoon or something.

As to conserving your protein powder: it doesn’t really matter. It is a SUPPLEMENT. If you can satisfy your protein requirements from food alone, then it isn’t necessary.

Do it on that basis alone.

Saying you are going to conserve protein powder is the same exact thing as saying you are going to conserve food. Protein powder is just a convenient way to get calories. It is not special in any way.

If you are short on cash you should be spending money on quality food.

If you want to gain some weight you need to eat more calories than you burn. ‘Lean protein formula’ and ‘Mass building protein’ are just funny names that don’t really make any sense. Protein is protein, essentially. Of course there are different types of whey and casein protein. And theres egg, soy, and a few other exotic proteins. But protein is just a macronutrient. It doesn’t know if you want to gain mass or become leaner. The amount of food you eat dictates that.

If you are talking about protein products that also have carbs in it, that’s a different story.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
If you are short on cash you should be spending money on quality food.[/quote]

I don’t know what most people are eating for protein, but protein powder works out to be one of my more economical sources of protein.

Then again, if you’re young and living with your parents, take advantage of all the good food they provide.

It’s protein powder. Do some basic research and bear in mind that it’s just food. Some protein powders have different purposes, but they’re not magic bullets.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
If you are short on cash you should be spending money on quality food.

I don’t know what most people are eating for protein, but protein powder works out to be one of my more economical sources of protein.

Then again, if you’re young and living with your parents, take advantage of all the good food they provide.[/quote]

The point is that a few pounds of ground beef goes further than a tub of whey powder. Whether it is concerning satiety for those try to shed a few or the extra macros for those trying to gain.