Whey Protein Absorbtion with Flax

One of my meals I use on a regular basis is to take ground flax seed, nuke it with some water, and mix in Whey and fresh Blue Berries for a low carb breakfeast cereal.

I understand that fat/fiber will slow absobtion of nutrients. Does anyone have an idea of how much fat/fiber slows down the absorbtion of whey protein?

I handle whey well but other protein powders not as well. I am attempting to create a slow absorbtion protein by combining other elements.

Any thoughts?

I think you’re wasting your time.

Fats may slow digestion, but I don’t think they’ll change a protein’s rate of absorption significantly.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
I think you’re wasting your time.

Fats may slow digestion, but I don’t think they’ll change a protein’s rate of absorption.[/quote]

Hmmm, I presumed it would. I mean, since fats and fiber slow the digestion of the entire meal, then a steady stream of smaller amounts of all the nutrients would be exiting the stomach. And, since most of the nutrient absorption is done in the small intestine, I would think the rate of aborbtion would be slowed over time. Feel free to prove me wrong, if I’m incorrect, I want to know. :wink:

To the original poster: All in all, if whey is the only protein powder that you tolerate well, then stick with it. It’s much better to be eating something, even if it’s abosrbed faster, than be running to the toilet to get rid of the other stuff. :wink:

Your other option is whole foods.

thanks for the feedback. I tend to focus most of my diet on whole foods, eating my special concotion of ground beef and forzen veggies for a majority of my meals to keep it simple.

My interest in the absorbition level comes from a fundamental question I have: “how important is protein absobtion in a mixed nutrient environment?” Once you mix in fat and fiber, does everything become slow absorbition?

My intuition would say yes, I dont have any scientific facts on it.