Whey Instead of BCAAs

First of all, a big hi to T-Nation, Im a long time reader and a first time poster here.

I was wondering about using Whey instead of BCAA in The Get Shredded Diet, my budget is currently low so I cant afford some BCAAs and ive got a few kgs of Whey at home…

So, how much Whey should I use instead of 5g BCAAs?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Typically around 5ish grams of bcaas per scoop of protein powder.

One scoop prior to your work out and two after.

Thanks, the diet suggests I should take BCAAs 4 times a day, so instead of each BCAA I should take a scoop of Whey?

[quote]Sunneh wrote:
Thanks, the diet suggests I should take BCAAs 4 times a day, so instead of each BCAA I should take a scoop of Whey?[/quote]

BCAA’s and whey are not the same thing. The BCAA’s are a part of the diet in order to preserve muscle mass. Whey protein doesn’t have the same effect. If your whey does have BCAA’s in it (which it probably does), you’re still taking in a lot of extra calories (for the GSD, that is) just to get the recommended amount of BCAA’s. Just buy the powdered stuff from Superior Nutraceuticals. It’s pretty inexpensive and lasts a while.

This is information that you should know if you plan on doing the GSD. You may want to evaluate if you’re ready for it.

Afaik, BCAA is just broken down proteins ready to enter your bloodstream. Dont see why Whey is such a problem to use instead of it ? (Unless my knowledge of BCAAs is wrong…). Im from Croatia and the supplements here cost up to 2-3x the price it does in the US so im not in the position of buying it. And yes my Whey does have BCAAs (Im using Designers) so i hoped using around 10 g instead of a 5g BCAA dose would be simmilar. (The only problem I think can occur is that Whey can be made into glucose and BCAA cant?)

Oh and one more question, are diet products ok for this diet (Coke Zero specifically)?

the main point is if your doing the GSD; its a limited calorie diet. adding all this whey to your daily caloric intake will drastically skew your results.

unless you calculate how many calories you would be taking in with the whey; and then subtracting that from the other parts of your diet.

however i do not suggest this. but that’s just my two cents…

good luck!

Ok im going to use 10 g of BCAA during training and thats it :slight_smile:

EDIT; Sorry I meant Whey :stuck_out_tongue:

BCAA’s are overrated.

I think replacing 10 grams of BCAA’s (as the diet suggests) with a scoop of whey would equal the same results.

whey has a bigger effect on caloric intake; so there will be differences…on some level.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
BCAA’s are overrated.

I think replacing 10 grams of BCAA’s (as the diet suggests) with a scoop of whey would equal the same results. [/quote]

You “think” wrong.

Sure, some whey protein can help, but you won’t get anywhere the same effect as using straight BCAA.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
BCAA’s are overrated.

I think replacing 10 grams of BCAA’s (as the diet suggests) with a scoop of whey would equal the same results.

You “think” wrong.

Sure, some whey protein can help, but you won’t get anywhere the same effect as using straight BCAA.[/quote]

Prove it. Seriously. Show me just SOME data that would support BCAA supplementation to be superior to a complete protein source such as whey, in a ketogenic state. Let’s not forget the essential amino acids present in whey that also have a very positive effect (duh) like BCAA’s do.

Great, thanks guys Ill try it, I dont need to get my bf down alot (2-3% and Im satisfied). So Ill be using 1/3 of a scoop in between meals.

don’t forget to train hard too!

BCAAs are a LOT faster acting than regular whey. You also ingest less crap when going the BCAA route.

That said, your question is pretty legitimate given the price difference between the two.

[quote]lixy wrote:
BCAAs are a LOT faster acting than regular whey. You also ingest less crap when going the BCAA route.

That said, your question is pretty legitimate given the price difference between the two.[/quote]

Crap?

Not trying to start a protein war, but peptides (di and tri) are actually more efficiently absorbed in the gut than AA’s…Just a little facto :slight_smile:

Seeing as how whey is in polypeptide form, though, it has to be broken down first…so it may be a moot point. I’m sure there’s some good research out there on it.

[quote]thebigbus wrote:
Not trying to start a protein war, but peptides (di and tri) are actually more efficiently absorbed in the gut than AA’s…Just a little facto :slight_smile:

Seeing as how whey is in polypeptide form, though, it has to be broken down first…so it may be a moot point. I’m sure there’s some good research out there on it.

[/quote]

I like your avatar. But, what did you mean by moot? Moot compared to what?

Btw no1 replied to the Coke Zero question, so is it ok? I mean it doesnt contain carbs so it shouldnt elevate my insulin level.

Yeah sure its ok in moderation, zero calories, obviously no sugars. However, more and more evidence is showing that diet sodas are some how linked to metabolic syndrome. Water is always the best beverage of choice.