T Nation

Whey Causing Insulin Levels to Rise?

[quote]i0like0dags wrote:
I had been trying the whole Berardi Theory about separating carbs and fat. If I understood it right, this was to have controlled insulin releases with the carb meals and the fat meals would help improve insulin sensitivity. After reading more I found out that ANYTHING you eat will cause an insulin release.

So I guess my question is, besides preworkout carbs, is there a reason to try controlling insulin releases?[/quote]

Seperating carbs and fats has less to do with insulin, and more to do with calorie restriction. Think about it, if you only consume two out of three macronutrients you are not going ingest as many calories.

Even if you increase the quantities of the other two macronutrients to make up for the absence of one, you are going to come up with decreased calories over the long term

Just to clarify… insulin is necessary to live… hence type 1 diabetics injecting to live…

Restricting carbs and nutrient timing to allow for greater fat recruitment and to take advantage of insulin spikes works… But avoiding insulin because it’s insulin doesn’t make sense.

I know some amino acids are ketogenic and others are glucogenic. Glucogenic amino acids are converted to glucose, inducing an insulin response and ketogenic amino acids are converted to ketone bodies which don’t.

This is an oversimplification, but was the basis for CT’s old low carb post workout glycine recommendation, to spike insulin without ingesting carbs.

Whey protein has a range of amino acids, I’m guessing from both groups. The casein blend makes digestion slower, probably leading to more of a steady titration of insulin release versus a bit of a spike.

I doubt it is of much consequence and you aren’t going to get fat off whey shakes.

Most newbs should be FORCING an insulin response, not running from it unless they are obese. How the hell do these guys think the rest of us got bigger?

This is why you don’t approach this as if you are trying to BOTH get ripped and gain a ton of size at the exact same time.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Most newbs should be FORCING an insulin response, not running from it unless they are obese. How the hell do these guys think the rest of us got bigger?

This is why you don’t approach this as if you are trying to BOTH get ripped and gain a ton of size at the exact same time.[/quote]

Wait so youre saying you cant go on a keto diet and inject 10 units of insulin pre workout and completely jacked and shredded?? I dont think you know what youre talking about anymore

My bad.

That insulin is what helps you build muscle mass. It’s not evil.

You guys need a biology book before you read another freaking article.[/quote]

recommend one.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:

That insulin is what helps you build muscle mass. It’s not evil.

You guys need a biology book before you read another freaking article.[/quote]

recommend one.[/quote]

Wikipedia will get you to what is apparently the minimal acceptable level around here. Be sure to copy and paste things directly while trying to make retarded arguments about how most glycogen is synthesized from triglycerides.

Or, you could get a textbook. This is the one I have:

I lol’d when I read the first post.

Sounds like the kind of thing that somebody 2 years into a bio program in college goes around pretending they’re an expert about, omitting that everything is about the context in which it’s applied.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

This is why you don’t approach this as if you are trying to BOTH get ripped and gain a ton of size at the exact same time.[/quote]

Wait so youre saying you cant go on a keto diet and inject 10 units of insulin pre workout and completely jacked and shredded?? I dont think you know what youre talking about anymore[/quote]

I am not sure it would be a good strategy to get shredded with insulin. 10iu will require to ingest about 100 grams of carbs. I do not think it would be such a good idea to do that during contest prep.

People can say what they will, but I have missed seeing posts like this.