T Nation

Whey and Fat

I make my protein shakes with cream and olive oil.Will the fat and protein somehow react in a negative way if I put the shake in the fridge the night before Im going to drink it and keep it in my bag for a few hours at school?

In hospitals they don't mix lipids with amino acids until just before feeding it to the patient because they somehow react to being mixed according to them.

In my experience, we'd avoid mixing anything simply to remove a potential variable from any studies or patient care.

Pre-mixing won't kill you, but it's not optimal. And it's not even the mixing that's an issue, it's the idea that everything is exposed to oxygen and then mild temperatures.

I don't think it's really a problem, but on the other hand, it's not optimal. How's that for equivocation?

Thanks!

One word: Eeew!

Have you actually tried this?
Mix up a protein shake (with or without fat), leave it overnight in the fridge and see what it looks like in the morning. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to drink it, especially after it's been sitting in your bag for a few hours.

Just take a water bottle and protein powder to school, and mix it up when you're ready to drink it. You might have to go with fish oil capsules rather than olive oil for shakes you're having while at school.