T Nation

Whey and Acne

#1

I use to work out all the time. Take the whey protein. I had acne and at the time didn't seem to care.

Anyhow, I got off the whey protein and went on with my life. I had no acne during this time.

Just 3 days ago I began to get into building my body again. I started taking the whey.

As soon as I did my face broke out. It's not that bad, but it's damn annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem with whey protein?

I just find this very frustrating because I like having clear skin and I like to workout to make gains. It seems that I can't do both. I feel like I only have these choices.

1) I can have clear skin and just workout without taking the whey which serves little purpose since I am trying to make gains.

2) I can have messed skin and make gains while taking whey.

When I am on whey I make gains so quick, but get messed over on my face. When I am not on it I don't make gains at all.

This is so frustrating. Anyone else have this issue?

#2

There’s no reason in hell you won’t be able to make gains without whey. Just eat whole food protein- your gains will probably be better. Don’t trip.

The only thing you may be missing out on is the convenience factor of whey. But still, who gives a shit, you can still do fine without it.

#3

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
There’s no reason in hell you won’t be able to make gains without whey. Just eat whole food protein- your gains will probably be better. Don’t trip.

The only thing you may be missing out on is the convenience factor of whey. But still, who gives a shit, you can still do fine without it.[/quote]

If only most kids who log into here had that attitidue.

#4

Uh, no. But whey protein is just FOOD. You can have excellent gains on whole food. Eat meat. You don’t need whey protein.

#5

I chose option 2

But, I don’t think its the whey that gives me the acne, rather just the bb lifestyle in conjunction with my age. Apparently my family is acne prone anyways. I’ve settled in to it, but you might choose otherwise.

I saw the derm at one point, but she was absolutely useless. Gave me some random antibiotic, which did work for a little while, but it seems like they’re just salt pills now.

#6

Dude, it’s just protein, get your protein from another source (i.e. steak, chicken, fish, eggs, etc.) if whey protein is giving you grief (although I do find it strange that whey protein can give you acne, are you sure there’s not some other factor involved?).

#7

[quote]unearth wrote:
Dude, it’s just protein, get your protein from another source (i.e. steak, chicken, fish, eggs, etc.) if whey protein is giving you grief (although I do find it strange that whey protein can give you acne, are you sure there’s not some other factor involved?).[/quote]

That’s what I’d do if your worried about Acne.

#8

try different brands and different flavors… I breakout from the artificial flavors in some brands flavors…

#9

Try skipping the whey, I have a hard time believing it’s making you break out in acne.

Although all causes for acne are not known, there is a strong relationship between it and hormonal activity. I however doubt whey is messing with your hormones, unless of course it’s spiked with some pro-hormones or something?

Who knows, maybe it’s a weird reaction you’re having to the whey, but whatever, as the other posters here said it’s definitely not integral to making gains or not. The fact that you believe so makes me think you might have some misconceptions.

Once you’ve got your diet and training nailed down as best you can, you can start using supplements to get something that’s missing. I personally have protein powder, but rarely use it beyond post-workout, only when for some reason I’m having trouble getting my daily intake high enough.

#10

I posted this same thread on yahoo answers. One guy was telling me that the protein may be dirty or it may be cheap. I did buy it for 11.00$ US Dollars if that makes a difference. I think I also bought it at Wal-Mart. Is that maybe the issue of why I could be breaking out. It could also be because I upped the calorie intake in my diet or because I started eating ?crap? food again so I guess it may not be the protein.

Anyhow, thanks for all your posts. I do realize that I don?t have to take whey to get in my protein needs. It?s just really convenient to do so. Whey takes about a minute to make and drink. On the other hand something like eggs can take as long as 10 minutes to make and 5 to 7 minutes to eat.

What are some high protein foods that are time efficient besides protein bars. Unless you know of a kind that is cheap. I just need some hookups here. Maybe a good protein powder brand also. Thanks,

-Taylor

#11

[quote]topzzz wrote:
I use to work out all the time. Take the whey protein. I had acne and at the time didn’t seem to care.

Anyhow, I got off the whey protein and went on with my life. I had no acne during this time.

Just 3 days ago I began to get into building my body again. I started taking the whey.

As soon as I did my face broke out. It’s not that bad, but it’s damn annoying.

Has anyone else had this problem with whey protein?

I just find this very frustrating because I like having clear skin and I like to workout to make gains. It seems that I can’t do both. I feel like I only have these choices.

  1. I can have clear skin and just workout without taking the whey which serves little purpose since I am trying to make gains.

  2. I can have messed skin and make gains while taking whey.

When I am on whey I make gains so quick, but get messed over on my face. When I am not on it I don’t make gains at all.

This is so frustrating. Anyone else have this issue?[/quote]

Hopefully its lactose intolerance, just get lactose free whey. If your intolerant to casein or whey itself… good luck :).

#13

[quote]topzzz wrote:

I posted this same thread on yahoo answers. One guy was telling me that the protein may be dirty or it may be cheap. I did buy it for 11.00$ US Dollars if that makes a difference. I think I also bought it at Wal-Mart. Is that maybe the issue of why I could be breaking out. It could also be because I upped the calorie intake in my diet or because I started eating ?crap? food again so I guess it may not be the protein.

Anyhow, thanks for all your posts. I do realize that I don?t have to take whey to get in my protein needs. It?s just really convenient to do so. Whey takes about a minute to make and drink. On the other hand something like eggs can take as long as 10 minutes to make and 5 to 7 minutes to eat.

What are some high protein foods that are time efficient besides protein bars. Unless you know of a kind that is cheap. I just need some hookups here. Maybe a good protein powder brand also. Thanks,

-Taylor[/quote]

Whey? Maybe…but YOU did say “I started eating crap food again so I guess it may not be the protein.”

I don’t think it’s the protein man, its the crap food. In my cafeteria at school I for a little while (bout a month) started eating their spicy fries and chicken burger, cause it tastes real good. I then started breaking out on my face with pimples n shit. No one in my family has ever had acne or anything, I think it’s just the greasy foods if your eating any. If I eat it a little once in a while. Nothing, eat it everyday for a month. Pimples on my face n shit. Take a look at what your eating.