T Nation

Where's the Mecca of BB in America?

I am going to move in the next year, I want to know where I could find THE place to get expert help at changing my body. Preferably in a BB type of look. If you live by an awesome gym let me know location, cost, and helpfullness of the trainers. I was just wondering if anyone has anything super great going on out there I can jump in on too. 

The Mecca of bodybuilding?

Gold’s Gym in Venice, CA.

That being said, it’s…admirable…that you are willing to shape your moving decision around where the best gym in the country is at.

metroflex in arlington texas home of 8x olympian ronnie Coleman.

[quote]anonym wrote:
The Mecca of bodybuilding?

Gold’s Gym in Venice, CA.

[/quote]

Spot On!

[quote]shizen wrote:
metroflex in arlington texas home of 8x olympian ronnie Coleman. [/quote]

Isn’t that Branch Warren’s place? If it is, this wouldn’t be a bad place to train.

Southern California used to be the true mecca for the hardcore bodybuilders. That “mecca” sense has softened a bit. But, I hear that it still largely qualifies as the center of “most things muscular”. Arnold Schwarzenegger was drawn here - and stayed. Venice Beach (also known as Muscle Beach) still attracts bodybuilding pilgrims, even though it is small and in kind of a grimy area these days.

San Diego has also become quite a draw in the weightlifting/bodybuilding world. But, that may be due in part to the short drive (1/2 hour) to Mexico where steroids can be acquired.

Many of the authors on T-Nation have their businesses/practices in the southern California area.

The Arnold Classic, probably the most well known fitness and sports festival in the US, is held in Columbus, OH. So, there’s a critical mass of real weightlifting gyms there.

any of the Curves locations are stellar

I need to find a place where the fitness life is more accessible. I live in the middle of No-Where Northwest Ohio. There is nothing to do here except drink and drugs and eat. Our only gym in 50 miles is 3 different YMCA’s, lifting at Y’s sucks.The trainers at the Y are all 150 pound marathon runner looking guys, they are a fucking joke.

This lifestyle is slowly killing me I am in a hell of a rut and need to get out. That is why when I move I want to find a bodybuilding culture and try to merge into it. I am by no means saying I am going to go pro or anthing but I want to look like a body builder.

[quote]SSC wrote:
shizen wrote:
metroflex in arlington texas home of 8x olympian ronnie Coleman.

Isn’t that Branch Warren’s place? If it is, this wouldn’t be a bad place to train.[/quote]

X2 (or 3)

Akshully both ronni and warren have trained there. So im sure its very (probably dangerusly) hardkore.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
any of the Curves locations are stellar[/quote]

Maybe the scenary would be stellar, but…nevermind…

Gold’s gym in venice, ca.

Milos Sarcev’s Koloseum gym in Fullerton, ca.

metroflex, arlington texas.

Bev Francis Powerhouse gym in Syosset(sp? lol) New York.

A few others but these are the top dogs…imo.

DG

But, at these places would an average joe fat guy get treated well, or accepted? I am not a body builder at all I have always lifted for strength and power. I never much cared how much I weigh or what I looked like now I want to take it in another way.

It’s not WHERE you train it’s HOW you train…

[quote]inthego wrote:
It’s not WHERE you train it’s HOW you train…[/quote]

True, so true.

[quote]inthego wrote:
It’s not WHERE you train it’s HOW you train…[/quote]

Training environment makes a huge difference. There’s a reason the best individual lifters and bodybuilders also look for the best environment.

I think the place you train has a direct effect on how you train. When I go to the Y and they are playing love songs my intensity takes a hit. Then when I get up to the weightroom and the 60 year old man is doing lat pulldowns for 5 sets of 20 reps with 20 pounds, while his wife is using the bench for 5 pound bench presses.

I can only hope some guy is not on the only squat rack they have, but if he is alteast let him be doing squats and not some f-n arm movement. That is like a normal day at the Y. It has to be better and easier somewhere.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Gold’s gym in venice, ca.

Milos Sarcev’s Koloseum gym in Fullerton, ca.

metroflex, arlington texas.

Bev Francis Powerhouse gym in Syosset(sp? lol) New York.

A few others but these are the top dogs…imo.

DG

[/quote]

Correct spelling. Syosset Bev Francis was where Dorian trained 3 to 4 months for the last few years of his heyday during pre contest prep and stayed at Steve and Bev’s place to prepare. I trained there for a year but the trip there (20 min without traffic was fine; 30 to 40 in traffic became not worth it for a gym) became annoying.

There are hardly any trainers there and most of the ones that are there, like most trainers, SUCK! Everyone who is somebody has trained there at least once. That’s the mecca of the East Coast.

New Jersey and all of Long Island have loads of bodybuilders. Long Island has Dave Palumbo, Colette Nelson, Kevin English, Johnnie Moya, Frank Sepe, Desmond Miller (might be in Queens though), Derek Anthony, and a whole slew of others. The well known lawyer of Milos Sarcev, Rick Collins, who deals with many steroid cases is also here. Old timers like Dan Lurie and Steve Michalik were LI boys too. Next week we will have the Jones Beach USA (www.jonesbeachusa.com).

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
inthego wrote:
It’s not WHERE you train it’s HOW you train…

Training environment makes a huge difference. There’s a reason the best individual lifters and bodybuilders also look for the best environment.[/quote]

Very true also. I wouldn’t be so much concerned with “where”, but rather make sure where ever you are it is filled with a lot of determined individuals. That makes a huge difference. Just the fact that they don’t want to stand around and blab between sets alone is huge.