Where'd My Tolerance for Fat People Go?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
If you seriously HATE someone because of their bodyweight, you have some serious fucking issues that you need to address. Being fat is a choice that someone makes, just like being lean and muscular is. Even if they play it off like they cant help it, theyve made that choice and it in no way affects you. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

Personally, I dont like people with long hair. Fucking unkempt motherfuckers.[/quote]

You make a judgment on those who hate fat people, yet you ASSUME everyone with long hair is a “fucking unkempt motherfucker”. Looks like you need to put on YOUR big girl panties.

I have long hair, look great, am clean, strong and fit, and very well-kempt.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

You make a judgment on those who hate fat people, yet you ASSUME everyone with long hair is a “fucking unkempt motherfucker”. Looks like you need to put on YOUR big girl panties.

I have long hair, look great, am clean, strong and fit, and very well-kempt.

[/quote]

Your sarcasm detector is broken. Might wanna get it fixed.

My sarcasm detector may be broken, but my Douchebag Detector is full-on. lol

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
It does not and will not ever affect how I treat a person. They have to give me something more substantial than being overweight for me to treat them poorly or hate them.[/quote]

I agree with this whole-heartedly.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
My sarcasm detector may be broken, but my Douchebag Detector is full-on. lol [/quote]

Oh wow, clever there…Im impressed.

And now that I know I have to break out the big red crayons and make everything blatantly apparent for you, I was kidding. That was a weak retort.

Oh yeah… lol.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
If you seriously HATE someone because of their bodyweight, you have some serious fucking issues that you need to address. Being fat is a choice that someone makes, just like being lean and muscular is. Even if they play it off like they cant help it, theyve made that choice and it in no way affects you. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

Personally, I dont like people with long hair. Fucking unkempt motherfuckers.[/quote]

There is a growing body of research in the evolutionary psychology field that indicates that there is a biological / survival reason for people to dislike and be repulsed by fat people. Basically, bloated-ness is an indicator of illness and avoiding sick people serves a survival function. There isn’t much difference in the appearance of obese people and bloated people so our biology triggers a feeling of repulsion when we see someone who is very fat.

I have seen fat people whose eyes, face and movements are full of life and vitality and this tends to mitigate the negative feelings toward them.

On a more evolved level, it’s impossible not to see the correlation between food choices and appearance and I tend to regard those who make poor food choices (and all lifestyle choices) a little more negatively than the righteous FFB’s who believe just because they did it means everyone can. But both groups are making poor choices, it’s just that one group is suffering physically from it while the other group is suffering only from a superiority complex.

Honestly, I’m more “grossed out” by really skinny people.

I have awesome fat friends though.

I don’t hate fat people so much as I hate rationalizations as to why it’s “impossible” for them to be anything but fat. I hate quitters and the hopeless fat people I despise are those that have quit on themselves.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I don’t like long hair either, again I used to have long hair.

I think its just the nature of growing out of something that you didn’t like about yourself, therefore you don’t like it in others.

Hating them for it is a problem though.

It does not and will not ever affect how I treat a person. They have to give me something more substantial than being overweight for me to treat them poorly or hate them.[/quote]

Good point Swole, and good point made earlier by Stu. I don’t HATE overweight people, but if they are assholes, than yes I will. Same goes for an in shape person. They need to give me a reason to hate them. Do I hate the fact that they do NOTHING to better themselves, yes I do. There is no reason for someone to be morbidly obese. I hate the laziness and complete lack of self discipline that they show and then the bitching and moaning they do when they say they can’t lose weight.

Blasphamy

I hate Carnies, you know, circus people… very small hands -lol

S

[quote]jstines wrote:
I don’t hate fat people so much as I hate rationalizations as to why it’s “impossible” for them to be anything but fat. I hate quitters and the hopeless fat people I despise are those that have quit on themselves. [/quote]

Too true. On a similar note, what I dislike most about fat people - and this is being pushed in pop culture too - is those that revel in the whole “I accept who I am” and “big is beautiful” horseshit. No, big is NOT beautiful. The last thing I want to see is some 240 lb. blob of a woman strutting around in a halter top and mini-skirt like she’s Carmen f’ing Electra. It’s nauseating.

ANYONE (oustide of a VERY small minority who have legitimate medical issues) can lose fat if they want to. And I never feel revulsion towards a fat person I see in the gym - kudos to them for trying. But it’s far easier to eat pizza and ho-hos all day and rationalize it as “it’s who I am”, so you can guess what most people do. OK, fine. Make no effort to better yourself. Be fat. But I’ll continue to be disgusted by you.

How would you feel being called fatty by some 160 pound kid with 6% body fat? Not very nice eh?

[quote]doubleh wrote:
jstines wrote:
I don’t hate fat people so much as I hate rationalizations as to why it’s “impossible” for them to be anything but fat. I hate quitters and the hopeless fat people I despise are those that have quit on themselves.

Too true. On a similar note, what I dislike most about fat people - and this is being pushed in pop culture too - is those that revel in the whole “I accept who I am” and “big is beautiful” horseshit. No, big is NOT beautiful. The last thing I want to see is some 240 lb. blob of a woman strutting around in a halter top and mini-skirt like she’s Carmen f’ing Electra. It’s nauseating.

ANYONE (oustide of a VERY small minority who have legitimate medical issues) can lose fat if they want to. And I never feel revulsion towards a fat person I see in the gym - kudos to them for trying. But it’s far easier to eat pizza and ho-hos all day and rationalize it as “it’s who I am”, so you can guess what most people do. OK, fine. Make no effort to better yourself. Be fat. But I’ll continue to be disgusted by you.[/quote]

I used to tell myself it was ok to be at the weight/look I was and rationalized alot of stuff! Now it makes me sick seeing my before pics…in fact I found one from a friends myspace last night from Aug and it repulsed me.

I am not done with my transformation but damnit I have worked hard to earn my near 70lb loss and I too get sick of the excuses.

I try and stay humble when I can but the obvious excuse makers I just ignore.

[quote]MikiB wrote:
How would you feel being called fatty by some 160 pound kid with 6% body fat? Not very nice eh?

[/quote]

We get comments like this from quite a few on this site. One kid made a whole thread calling an off season bodybuilder “obese” when he had all abs visible and couldn’t have been more than 12% body fat.

I think some of these people are delusional.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
One kid made a whole thread calling an off season bodybuilder “obese” when he had all abs visible and couldn’t have been more than 12% body fat.[/quote]

These kids grow up, get grants, and compose those height/weight charts. lol

Well, look at off the rack suits. I believe there is a 9" drop between the jacket sizing and the pants sizing. That means that if you need a 48" jacket, you’re supposed to have a 39" pant size. Don’t ask me who the hell they use as models, but it’s rediculous that I have a difficult time buying clothes because I work out (And while I have built a decent physique, I’m far from being a “BIG” guy, how the hell do they shop?!)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Well, look at off the rack suits. I believe there is a 9" drop between the jacket sizing and the pants sizing. That means that if you need a 48" jacket, you’re supposed to have a 39" pant size. Don’t ask me who the hell they use as models, but it’s rediculous that I have a difficult time buying clothes because I work out (And while I have built a decent physique, I’m far from being a “BIG” guy, how the hell do they shop?!)

S
[/quote]

Only a 48"? You have no idea what “difficult” means until you literally can’t find clothes to wear without looking for a big and tall shop and then having them tailored to all hell. A 52-53" suit jacket means a 50" waist in pants.

I honestly have no problem with any fat person just because they’re fat. Now people who are intellectually lazy will piss me off all day.

After going from Obese (BMI of 30+, possible bf% of 25+) to what i am now (sitting around 12-15%) i dont hate fat people. I hate it when they whine about it, but i dont hate them. I feel sympathy for them. They must go through a lot, caus i know i did. They just need some help