T Nation

Where Would You Immigrate?

Not to get into a political discussion of what is wrong or right with the USA, but if I were to immigrate, for whatever reason, from this country where should I go? I want low taxes, small government and the freedoms that were granted to us by our forefathers. And when I say us, I am not discounting the unequal rights and injustices minorities had fight against in this country for years.

Is there a country left that doesn’t oppress the freedom of all people and people can be as successful as their talents will allow them? Oh yah, the right to bare arms is important as well.

Monaco.

Bare arms are fine, bare butt, not so much.

I am looking into this exact same question right now.

Someplace warm; someplace cheap; someplace with a decent quality of life; someplace with internet access so I can continue to make an income. I am thinking Maldanado, Uruguay.

I have been on secondment in Perth Australia for the last year and a half and counting the good points: beautiful place very clean, great lifestyle, great climate by the sea.

The bad points: very expensive particularly property, tax is high, heavily regulated and very politically correct.

If you don’t mind cold winters and enjoying skiing and hot chocolate Switzerland could be an option.

[quote]JamFly wrote:
I have been on secondment in Perth Australia for the last year and a half and counting the good points: beautiful place very clean, great lifestyle, great climate by the sea.

The bad points: very expensive particularly property, tax is high, heavily regulated and very politically correct.

If you don’t mind cold winters and enjoying skiing and hot chocolate Switzerland could be an option.[/quote]

i lived in perth and it was awesome, great weather , pituresque , great lifestyle and coming from new zealand , great paying jobs.

Just hatedd the way they treated aborigines

estonia. One of the freeest nations in the world, and my ancestry traces back to there.

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
Not to get into a political discussion of what is wrong or right with the USA, but if I were to immigrate, for whatever reason, from this country where should I go? I want low taxes, small government and the freedoms that were granted to us by our forefathers. And when I say us, I am not discounting the unequal rights and injustices minorities had fight against in this country for years.

Is there a country left that doesn’t oppress the freedom of all people and people can be as successful as their talents will allow them? Oh yah, the right to bare arms is important as well.[/quote]

Arizona or Texas.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

hhmmm…good luck. as someone who emigrated TO the States, I couldn’t imagining relocating permanently out of the country at this point.

Now, on the other hand, I would love to spend a year or 2 living in another country with a different culture and language, but I would definitely come back to the USA.

And for those who said Australia, that government is probably worse than ours in regards to the issues that hoosegow mentioned, government mandated firewall anyone?

[quote]Ren wrote:
hhmmm…good luck. as someone who emigrated TO the States, I couldn’t imagining relocating permanently out of the country at this point.

Now, on the other hand, I would love to spend a year or 2 living in another country with a different culture and language, but I would definitely come back to the USA.

And for those who said Australia, that government is probably worse than ours in regards to the issues that hoosegow mentioned, government mandated firewall anyone?[/quote]

I agree the Australian government are control freaks and very nannyist - the public here don’t seem to mind it. I wouldn’t live here long term but for a few years it’s a nice change.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Iraq…

I heard the sandstorms were great for the skin…

Mufasa

Canada?

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Iraq…

I heard the sandstorms were great for the skin…

Mufasa[/quote]

They are hell on the lungs though. The women may be hot, but who knows. I am taking a leave of 22 days shortly. Can’t wait

Switzerland. The economy is better than most places because any one with cash around the world stashes it there, to keep it safe. Crime is low and I speak some (not much) German, so Zurich would be a good choice.

That or Zimbabwe… :>

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
Canada? [/quote]

Low taxes in a country with nationalized health care? Free to own a hand gun? No to both!

[quote]Ren wrote:

[/quote]

I agree with this. I have traveled a bit (including 2 years outside of the US) and things are just better here. I still love visiting other places though.

I have a trip planed to Fiji in August, so I might just change my mind.

For total freedom you have to head to a third world country. Not because laws don’t exist but because they don’t have the resources to catch you.

To chill out for a while, Zanzibar or Tanzania are good then to start making money head to Botswana or get into the mining or tourism business. Despite the bad press, Kenya isn’t bad either but has stricter gun laws i.e. the bad guys have them, the good don’t.

I had some good times in India, but it’s not for everyone…

Australia would be great if it wasn’t for the control-freak government (and the fact that the people don’t mind this).

The Mediterranean countries have nice weather and people, especially Cyprus so those are worth a look.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Switzerland. The economy is better than most places because any one with cash around the world stashes it there, to keep it safe. Crime is low and I speak some (not much) German, so Zurich would be a good choice.[/quote]

x2.

[quote]hoosegow wrote:

Is there a country left that doesn’t oppress the freedom of all people and people can be as successful as their talents will allow them? Oh yah, the right to bare arms is important as well.[/quote]

Switzerland meets these criteria. It’s cold, though.