T Nation

Where were you???......

September 11th will ALWAYS be one of those days where you will remember where you were or what you were doing when you heard the news. So…where were you?

I was in Microbiology lab class doing experiments on some micrococcuses when my lab teacher walked back into the lab area and said, “What I am about to say may sound like something so unbelievable that you will think I am joking, but two planes have crashed into the World Trade Center and another into The Pentagon.” My lab partner instantly took off frantically cause her brother worked in the WTC (he ended up being fine). We all just packed up and left class.

I walked back home to my ex’s house and was glued to the tv for 2 straight days.

I stayed home from school “sick” and was sleeping when it happened. I woke up a bit before 10 am and turned on Howard Stern and heard all about it. I turned on the news to see it, but then I went into my room and just listened to him for the rest of the morning.

I just left the dentist office and turned on my truck to here the news. Thought man how can you fly into the trade center(the media reported a small plan crashed into one of the towers)
As soon as I heard the full story I tried to contact my Mom who lives in NY but took a while to get threw.

At a Doctors appt. I walked in and there was the TV showing a the first plane that had hit the towers. I remember thinking “What Idiot would hit the World trade center?” then the second plane hit while I watched and I knew it was no accident.

Phatman, that’s what I thought too - “Someone crashed a plane into the WTC? What kind of f’n idiot doesn’t see that building coming?”

I was at my parents’ house, and I came downstairs when I woke up and my parents were watching TV, which they almost never do in the morning. I still had to go to class that day. Tyrant professors.

It happened my first day back to work after a 4 day break from a 7 month deployment to Spain and Albania.

Half of my unit was still in Spain.

The base I where I worked was about to go on lock-down so I told my people to get home, get off base, get on the phone with family, and that I’d see them tomorrow.

Once my people were taken care of I went home, and, not unlike many other people, cracked a case of beer and attached myself to the TV.


I was a few weeks into med school in anatomy lab. One of the profs is an older Romanian guy who made his way around the room to answer questions. I’ll never forget the moment he came to our table. I was holding a human heart in my hand. He said, “so, what you guys think of first exam?” We exchanged the usual small talk for a minute or two, and as he was walking away he said, “by the way, two planes crash into World Trade Center.” It was surreal. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

I spent the next few days watching the news with my roommates and trying to get ahold of my friends in Manhattan. The phones were down because there was a phone tower on top of the WTC that was destroyed.

I don’t think I’ve ever felt so many different emotions at one time. Anger, sorrow, fear, uncertainty, frustration, etc. And the way my prof was so nonchalant about it really shook me. It’s so weird, but I still remember the day when I was in elementary school and the Challenger exploded. All the kids were asking the lunchlady how it went because there was a teacher on board, and she replied in the meanest voice I’ve ever heard, “they’re dead. they’re all dead.” I guess people just react to tragedy differently.

Glad you brought it up today, Tony…

I was ready to leave for work when I got a call from my mom telling me what had happened, and to turn on the TV.

Only the first tower had been hit, and when she said “plane”, I pictured a Cessna, or something.

Then I saw it and knew it had to have been something bigger.

Then the second tower, then the Pentagon, and I was half expecting the White House to be next.

Then the towers came crashing down.

Having been on the observation deck of the south(?) tower, I can only imagine the sheer terror of falling from that high, especially with the building going down under you…

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families left behind, especially on this painful day.

I was at work and the guy I shared an office with came in and said that a plane had crasked into the WTC. I said ‘yeah, right’ and he told me they had it on the big screen TV in the confrence room. I looked at him and said ‘You had better not be joking, if I walk in there and there is no plane in the World Trade Center I’m gonna kill you.’ Did I ever wish I was wrong. I then spent a few hours on the phone trying to find Katie and trying to get ahold of my friend in Holland who had called me in a panic to check on Katie as well. It took three different calls to Holland for me to find one of her family members and then finally talk to her. No one in my office did anything for about three days… the atmosphere was so creepy.

Man, that stinks! Classes were cancelled the rest of the day afterwards, mainly because Cortland is a SUNY school (State University of New York) and a TON of students are from the NYC/Long Island area.

WTW…I can’t believe your professor was so non-chalant about it! Probably because he was from another country I suppose and he could care less.

Thats funny you mentioned The Challenger explosion, cause I remember too that I was in elementary school (3rd grade I think) and I remember my teacher bringing a tv into the room which I thought was the coolest thing…cause were watching tv while in school!!

In the presidents of our company’s office watching it on cnn. Talking about how badly this will screw up the travel business. I work for AAA.

Michelle I hope that Katie was ok
I found out a few days later that twin sisters I graduated from high school with were working in the WTC, sadly yo say only one survived.

I was driving in to work when the first plane hit. I didn’t have the radio on (I hate radio shows), so I didn’t know anything about it. When I got to work, people were saying how they couldn’t believe what happened, and I was just going “What happened?” Then they told me, and I couldn’t believe it myself.

A guy that worked at a nearby desk left to go to the local Wal-Mart and bought a cheap portable TV. The reception inside the building was crappy, but it worked well enough to see the second plane hit. I was in a rage, knowing it was terrorism. I remained glued to that little screen for the remainder of the day. When the towers fell, I just felt sick.

I also was on this board a lot, and at one point, some one posted a link to a forum associated with Rage Against the Machine, with the title “How strong is your stomach?” In that forum were a lot of posts saing how we deserved to get hit. That just sent me further into a rage, and if any one near me had said ANYTHING like that, I would probably be rotting in jail today for murder.

I was in a total rage for the rest of the day. A night’s sleep helped, and the next morning I felt more normal. But by the time I got to work, I was back in that rage again. I had a business meeting in Portland that night, and the 2-1/2 hour drive each way with a good friend really helped me purge that anger. I wish every one a friendship like that.

To this day I will still go into a dark anger when I see the images from that day.

I went fishing.

The Today show came on at 7 just as I was leaving the house, and I just caught a couple minutes of it. They said they didn’t have details yet, but they thought it must have been a small plane.

I rode my bike to work and by the time I got in more details were coming in, and a coworker filled me in on some of it. Then the second plane hit. Then the towers fell.

I left work and rode home, but I got sick of seeing the images on TV pretty quick. I had lost a cell phone near a lake on the west slope of Medicine Bow Peak a couple weeks earlier (Labor Day weekend), so I decided to drive back over and look for it. Seemed like being as far away from TV, radio, etc. right then was a good thing.

Never found the phone, but I caught a limit of nice brookies.

Coincidently, I was fishing when Challenger exploded as well. I had the day off and wanted to go ice fishing, but I’d never had a chance to watch a shuttle launch so I was going to try and watch that first.

When I got up that morning Willard Scott was talking about how cold it was in Florida, and I just assumed the launch would be scrubbed. So I drove out to Diamond Lake, 40 miles west of Laramie. Stayed there about eight hours, caught lots of fish, never saw another soul all day. I found out about the accident when I got home about 6 that evening.

In bed. Woke up, began flipping through channels. I NEVER watch the cable news channels; but on that day, I began flipping through MSNBC and CNN.

Saw that tower #1 was burning…wild. Totally wild. Within an hour, I had the computer on and was checking online for ANY bit of information.

I was awake early that day. My main client, a non-profit healthcare association, was having its annual meeting downtown and I was supposed to give a presentation at lunch. I was up early because I really wasn’t sure what the presentation was going to be, because a Q & A session the day before had kind of gotten out of hand and pretty much wiped out the need for the presentation I had planned. I was listening to NPR when they broke in to announce that a plane had hit one of the towers. The implication was that it was a smaller plane and it made me me think of the plane that hit the Empire State building a long time ago. There really weren’t many details. When they broke in a bit later saying that a second plane had hit the other tower, I finally turned on the TV. As shocking at it was, it took me another 10 or 15 minutes to realize that I didn’t have to worry about the presentation anymore.

I took one son to school while the events were continuing to unfold. My wife and I decided to keep the younger one at home. He was 11 at the time, and very impressionable (still is). My wife is fairly inspired in dealing with kids in these situations. They kept the TV off and mostly read. The things he latched onto were “There Will Be No Peace” by W.H. Auden and “All Quiet on the Western Front.”

Because a lot of the people attending the annual meeting events were from out of town, I started getting calls from friends in the group about being stranded since no flights taking off or landing. I ended up down at their hotel, helping them find alternate transportation. Everybody was pretty desperate to get home. The hotel was literally across the street from the capitol building and we were all concerned that it could be a target – though no one could really articulate why. I eventually took them out to the 'burbs to pick up some vans that someone finally agreed rent them. It surely wasn’t life or death, but I guess we weren’t really sure about that at the time. I won’t forget how appreciative people were or how happy they were to be heading home. A few people from the East Coast were stuck in town for days.

I was getting ready to teach a class in plant biology at 10 am. I just got out of genetics at 9:15, which was downstairs from where I was supposed to teach. On my way up, one of my students told me what happened. I wasn’t truly upset until after I saw it on tv, and I started crying. I don’t have any relatives in New York, but my fiancee’s dad works at the federal courthouse in Cincinnati, and it freaked me out because he wasn’t allowed to go home. I still cry thinking about it sometimes.

got out of the shower and turned on the TV (Seattle time, back then)–local news had cut to NY for coverage of the first tower being hit–a lot of speculation–while I stood there watching, within a minute of turning on the TV, I watched the 2nd plane fly into the tower

I spent the rest of the day listening to NPR, feeling like the world had changed forever


I was learinig shit from school (it was around 2 PM in my country), and when my mother called me into the living room, and when I saw what happenned - man, I thought it was the beginning of WW3.