Where to Pull to when Doing Rows?

Hey guys. I was just wondering if you are supposed to pull to your stomach or sternum or what when rowing. I thought I was under the impression that you pull to your lower abs with db rows and sternum when rowiong with both hands. Not sure if that’s right.

Either: targets different muscles.

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=88741&tid=

With DB rows I pull with my palm facing my side with my thumb at about 10 oclock and touch the db to my chest and bar i pull to my high stomach.

I go just below the ribs with the barbell. With dumbells I pull even with my ribs but to the outside, trying to pull back farther than with the bar. I go as heavy as possible with the bar and try to get the greatest possible ROM with bells. I don’t use dumbells too often, just as a change of pace every once and a while.

[quote]Wilba wrote:
I go just below the ribs with the barbell. With dumbells I pull even with my ribs but to the outside, trying to pull back farther than with the bar. I go as heavy as possible with the bar and try to get the greatest possible ROM with bells. I don’t use dumbells too often, just as a change of pace every once and a while.[/quote]

Could not have said it better!

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Either: targets different muscles.[/quote]

I agree. Sometimes I pull lower and retract the scap hard whereas elbows out I try to hit the rare delts a little harder.

So basically elbows close to body = erectors, elbows flared = rear delts?

When I do BB rows (pendlays) I notice my traps get sore a lot, not much else. Any cues for fixing this?

Since i can’t see you doing the bb row, I can only assume that you are in a more standing position and bringing the bb at a angle then perpendicular.

I may be wrong, but that is my only guess.

I’m doing pendlay so I’m // to the floor.