T Nation

Where to Live in USA?

I am thinking of making a change in my life and living in the US for a year or 2.

Im looking for suggestions on where to live.

From what ive seen and heard from some American friends of mine the top 5 places would be:

1.Chicargo
2.Colorado
3.Atlanta
4.Boston
5.Charlotte

The worst ive heard are:

1.Detroit
2.Harlem
3.Seattle
4.Floida
5.Philly

Sorry if offended anyone who lives in the “worst areas” but this is what ive heard,not from my own personal experience.

So any help would be appreciated.

Peace

King of Kings

Chicago all the way. That would be the only place I would move if I were ever going to. I’ve been to all ten of the places you listed, plus about a hundred more, and Chicago is still the best.

I would recomend Charlotte. It’s a very nice and diverse area filled with nice people!

Detroit is a rough town, but from what I know Seattle is a pretty decent place.

San Diego
San Francisco
Tampa bay

Cities with good weather and beach!

Maybe you prefer other style like Tony Montana, drugs, guns, money and girls on a Ferrari travelling across Miami

The city of chicago is nice. The suburbs are… suburbs. I’d say colorodo is one of the nicest states I’ve been to.

Depends on your lifestyle.

If you’re a mountain/outdoorsy type, Colorado is pretty sweet.

– ElbowStrike

Colorado is great. I’ve been here all my life but I’ve been to other places and came real close to moving to San Diego. Colorado gets a great taste of every season, has mountains, plus there are options for watersports too in the summer. Plus it’s having good growth right now is means a good job market.

Think about cost of living and weather. There are lots of cool places to live, but if you don’t have the money to live there, you could get there and regret it. And consider the winters.

Charlotte is an up and comer. Colorado is very nice.

[quote]King of Kings wrote:
I am thinking of making a change in my life and living in the US for a year or 2.

King of Kings[/quote]

It really depends on what kind of stuff you are into. Chicago is great but I can’t stand being cold so winters don’t work for me there. I have to echo the San Diego choice due to great weather, beaches (yes I know Chicago a beach but it’s not the same thing), and the “scenery.”

Well… I live in Harlem and I find it quite nice. Cheap rent, good people, quiet. Here’s what I think about your cities of note, why live in a lesser metropolis when you can live in New York? There’s a reason why it’s called the greatest city in the world. New York is the most diverse city in the world, it has the largest number of quality restaurants, there’s always something to do, the women here are gorgeous and intelligent, the ocean is close, ski resorts are close, there are tons of jobs available everyday, there is a change of seasons–but not a drastic change, New York is the shit.

I’ve lived in Texas my whole life. My favorite city in the state is Austin, hands down. Beautiful countryside, interesting people and places, large night life, lots of business, schools, and its the Hollywood of the Southwest.

However, people do complain that Texas weather is a nightmare.

[quote]chiefy wrote:
Well… I live in Harlem and I find it quite nice. Cheap rent, good people, quiet. Here’s what I think about your cities of note, why live in a lesser metropolis when you can live in New York? There’s a reason why it’s called the greatest city in the world. New York is the most diverse city in the world, it has the largest number of quality restaurants, there’s always something to do, the women here are gorgeous and intelligent, the ocean is close, ski resorts are close, there are tons of jobs available everyday, there is a change of seasons–but not a drastic change, New York is the shit.[/quote]

Yeah I pretty much second that. I love NYC…born and raised here as a matter of fact so I might be a bit biased.

One thing is for sure though…it’s a bit expensive. You can find cheap housing uptown (above 86th street) but when you wanna party, hang out or find good eats you’re going to have venture south (within the city) where things tend to get pricey.

You’re right, but there are places to go that aren’t wallet busters. It’s possible to spend a bundle of dough wherever you live.

Most place have their good and their bad points (Detroit excluded). It’s all about your needs and wants and matching them with the best location.

Thing to think about:

*Availability of jobs related to your work
*Housing prices
*Traffic
*Crime rates
*Cost of living
*Natural Resources
*Entertainment

Not one mention of Texas so far. Well here it is: TEXAS. I was a military kid who lived pretty much everywhere and it doesn’t get much better (Hawaii was pretty damn nice though). And it ain’t (with emphasis) full of tumbleweeds and desert. Well, maybe a little. Cost of living is pretty damn reasonable as well.

-Mr Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

**Edit: Sorry, missed Plisskin’s post.

Depends on what you are looking for. I have lived in a lot of places: a small town in upstate New York, LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Virginia Beach, Newport, RI, Boston, Phoenix, POrtland… and visited a hundred others. They all have their pluses and minuses…

Other places to consider:
Las Vegas
Dallas
A small town in the midwest

If you like the ocean and beach:
Key West
Hawaii
St Thomas
St Croix
Puerto Rico

[quote]Plisskin wrote:
I’ve lived in Texas my whole life. My favorite city in the state is Austin, hands down. Beautiful countryside, interesting people and places, large night life, lots of business, schools, and its the Hollywood of the Southwest.

However, people do complain that Texas weather is a nightmare.[/quote]

I used to live in Austin…I must agree, that is a fun town. Some of the best places to hear some music off 6th street. One of the favorites that I have lived in. You been out to Salt Lick BBQ outside Austin? I still crave going back there.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
I would recomend Charlotte. It’s a very nice and diverse area filled with nice people![/quote]

I agree… I’m looking to move there in the next 6 mths… Awesome area and the real estate is still very reasonable.

I echo what other people have said about it depends on what you’re into and what you plan to do for a job. Until we know that, no one can give you truly good advice.

One other note, be cautious of advice from people who have only lived in one area for their entire lives. This isn’t meant as a slight towards anyone who has posted, but until you have lived in more than one place, you have no grounds for comparison.

I’ve lived all up and down the east coast and have spent significant time in Ohio as well. I can tell you that what works for some, doesn’t necessarily work for me and vice versa. For example, I LOVE central NY state (but the economy is very tough there, so I don’t live there) and I didn’t really care for Charlotte (not much to do - 4hrs from beach/4 hours from mtns, no river, a couple of muddy lakes about 30 minutes away). A couple of my sisters don’t care too much for central NY and love Charlotte.

The point is that every locale has its pluses and minuses and matching those with your needs and wants is the best way to come up with a list of places to look at. Also bear in mind that some places are better than others based on your nationality. If you’re French, you may want to stick to NYC, Washington DC, LA, SF, Seattle - places with concentrations of French or higher tolerance. One thing I can tell you about NYC is that you will always be able to find someone to commiserate with if you get homesick, no matter what your nationality is.

The beautiful thing about the U.S. is that there are so many different places to choose from.

Good luck,
DB