T Nation

Where to Learn Sign Language

I recently met a beautiful woman who is deaf, an she is very limited in her verbal capacity.She reads lips and mainly signs as a means of communication. I catch on too some words; however I want to learn/vary as much info as possible so that I may understande her better.
Do any of ya’ll know of any websites that teaches basic & fundamental sign language?

I’ve been using youtube.com an can catch some words & phrases from there but then there are ppl that teach w/o even saying a word & those leave me dumfounded.

Any help is appreciated.

I had a friend whose parents were deaf. I learned just the alphabet and over time they showed me easier ways to say things.

If you want to really get into it check out your local community college. There might be a sign language course you can take.

look up Rochester Institute of Technology, we ahve the single largest deaf population in the counrty thanks to having the national technical institute for the Deaf here on campus. There are MANY ASL courses offered, i’m not sure if there are any online courses offered.

[quote]Raven3606 wrote:
If you want to really get into it check out your local community college. There might be a sign language course you can take. [/quote]

Agreed. Also check out community ed programs. Both should be pretty cheap and should be starting in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the ideas guys, it’s really appreciated.

[quote]APE. wrote:

Any help is appreciated.[/quote]

Why don’t you just ask her to help you? It’s not like you can’t understand written English–get a portable wipe-off board. Your enthusiasm to learn would probably impress her.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
APE. wrote:

Any help is appreciated.

Why don’t you just ask her to help you? It’s not like you can’t understand written English–get a portable wipe-off board. Your enthusiasm to learn would probably impress her.
[/quote]

You are right too, we have discussed this, but I am willing to put out an effort for next time we meet; and really be able to have some sort of conversation.