T Nation

Where to Go...

Work is sending me to Europe for about a month. I leave next week.

When the work is done I plan to take some personal time before coming back and changing jobs which will leave me without opportunities to travel abroad for a couple years.

I have been to France and Italy, several times before, and Britain and China once but this will be the last time for a while, at least with the company picking up the tab.

I will spend a week in Switzerland and 2 or 3 in Italy. Not a big fan of Italy.

I would like to see Germany, Austria, and Spain, but Greece and Tunisia, are on my list too. There is potential to hook up with a chick in Greece through someone I know at home, and another in Tunisia who I met in Paris over a year ago and have kept in touch with via email.

I probably have a week but not much more to tool around before I have to come back home and start a new job.

I’m thinking Greece and Tunisia (warm weather & a slim chance with the females) but would really like to see Germany, Austria and Spain.

Opinions?

I vote for Greece. It’s a vast, varied place and though I visited quite a few islands several years ago, there were many we couldn’t get to. And each has its’ own personality. The city of Athens is… well, a city - so it’s cramped and dirty like any big city. Crete is really fun and hip. Mykonos is a vacation paradise… But when people ooh and ahh over pictures of Greece they’re almost always looking at the tip of Santorini, which is like no other place anywhere… very old world, romantic and picturesque. I have hundreds of pictures but here’s 3.

If you have a woman in your life who loves beautiful handcrafted jewelry and you’re anywhere near Athens or Santorini you should check out the medieval inspired designs from the studio of Konstantino. I’d never heard of him before I went but certainly got educated. I have regretted not buying a Konstantino bracelet ever since I saw one on the wrist of a woman at dinner as our cruise ship was pulling away from Santorini. I am by no means materialistic, but nothing else looks like a Konstantino in candlelight. Stunning. Maybe next time :(.

Santorini, again

The sunsets from this spot are legendary, though it was a bit overcast when I snapped this.

I really want to hit Germany and Spain, also…:wink:

I would suggest you visit Croatia, where I live, but the best part about Croatia is the coast which at the this time of year is still a bit cold. If you ever come back to Europe during the summer its a must see. Cities like Split and Dubrovnik are gorgeous. I have a place near Zadar, which is also a beautiful city. Check out some pics on google.

V

Greece Greece Greece. I go there every 2-3 yrs and it never gets old. Going there again this summer.

Can’t compete with Greece. But I’d say the Portuguese west coast, between Lisbon and Sagres, not the tourist tours.

And check the Swiss Riviera, by the Leman Lake (don’t you dare call it Geneva Lake!). Between Lausanne and Montreux, really beautifull with the snowy mountains now…

Another vote for Greece. I’ve never been, but know many people who have been and LOVED it.

Used to live in greece for a few years. Don’t go to Athens, pretty dirty city.

The only place Ive ever gone was from Mass to South Carolina and a vending machine rejected 4 quarters in a row… I was like Wtf?? and realized they were all new england quarters and I yelled at the machine for being racist, when I turned around black people were giving me a dirty look. I dont go places now.

Frankfurt Germany…a vastly underrated Red Light District…more females than you can shake your stick at…just trust me.

[quote]Hellfrost wrote:
Don’t go to Athens, pretty dirty city. [/quote]

I get to Athens a few times a year for business (we have an office there). Flying down there this week, actually. I never thought it was ‘dirty’. There are some not-so-nice parts of town, though.

They have a bunch of bulldog statues on a lot of street corners, and the University campus is pretty nice. Great food.

Gets hot in the summer, though, like the rest of Georgia.

Wait, aren’t we talking about Athens, Georgia?

[quote]Thorpughet wrote:
Can’t compete with Greece. But I’d say the Portuguese west coast, between Lisbon and Sagres, not the tourist tours.

And check the Swiss Riviera, by the Leman Lake (don’t you dare call it Geneva Lake!). Between Lausanne and Montreux, really beautifull with the snowy mountains now…[/quote]

I will be in Lugano. There is a lake there. Is this it?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Hellfrost wrote:
Don’t go to Athens, pretty dirty city. [/quote]

I get to Athens a few times a year for business (we have an office there). Flying down there this week, actually. I never thought it was ‘dirty’. There are some not-so-nice parts of town, though.

They have a bunch of bulldog statues on a lot of street corners, and the University campus is pretty nice. Great food.

Gets hot in the summer, though, like the rest of Georgia.

Wait, aren’t we talking about Athens, Georgia?[/quote]

I had to re-read to get the “bulldog” reference. Yes I’m slow.

Go to my home town Valencia, Spain.

The city is warm year round, has some of the best food in the World (where paella was invented) and also has the city of arts and sciences which is pretty much the sickest looking thing, ever.

There are beaches within 20 minutes of the city center and the women are hot.
Damn I miss home.

Another shot of the city of arts and science.

[quote]eric_lacrosse wrote:

[quote]Thorpughet wrote:

And check the Swiss Riviera, by the Leman Lake (don’t you dare call it Geneva Lake!). Between Lausanne and Montreux, really beautifull with the snowy mountains now…[/quote]

I will be in Lugano. There is a lake there. Is this it?[/quote]

Nope, but it’s beautiful though. The Lugano Lake is in the south east part of Switzerland, shared with Italy. The Leman Lake is in the south west part of Switzerland, shared with France.

Hope you have a good time there, enjoy!

Why not do all the capitals, I hear Berlin is pretty cool, and if you get a chance, try and see some of the excavated WW1 battlefield in Belgium, I’ve visited Ypres, and its harrowing

Id have to throw my vote in or Greece and Spain! The south coast of France was a beautiful place as well…but more of a rich mans playground than anything else. Belgium also has some amazing beer, a place called Delirium in Brussels apparently had over 2000 types of beer and 50 types of Absinthe! Needless to say I didnt get to taste all of it…