T Nation

Where to Focus Eyes When Benching?

where do you look when benching???do u watch the bar??

I look back at my spotters crotch. If I watch the bar I get loose in my traps off my chest. If I stare back and up then I stay tight and keep things moving much better.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
I look back at my spotters crotch. If I watch the bar I get loose in my traps off my chest. If I stare back and up then I stay tight and keep things moving much better.[/quote]

I do the same, but not on purpose. Usually the wife spots me in shorts so its kind of distracting.

Not to get all Starting Strength on you, but Rippetoe suggests staring at the point on the ceiling where you intend to lockout the bar, as opposed to looking at the bar. The rationale is that the ceiling is fixed, while the bar moves, and if you stare at the point on the ceiling you intend to move the bar, you’ll move it there without consciously trying to.

He makes an analogy of hitting a golf ball. You don’t look at the club when you swing it, you look at the fixed object you intend to hit with the club, the ball. Same deal with the fixed ceiling and the barbell that’s in motion. Look at the fixed spot on the ceiling where you intend to move the barbell.

i watch the bar touch my chest and then follow it up to lockout.

Since my fed doesn’t allow lifting of the head, I stare at a spot on the ceiling. I’ve been told that staring at a lagging arm/wrist helps as well with lockout.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
I look back at my spotters crotch. If I watch the bar I get loose in my traps off my chest. If I stare back and up then I stay tight and keep things moving much better.[/quote]

-This is an interesting post. I always looked through the bar and to the ceiling, and have issues with keeping my back tight throughout the lift. Going to experiment with eye focus to see if i can use it to maintain tightness.

Back of eye lids.

I watch the bar too.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i watch the bar touch my chest and then follow it up to lockout. [/quote]

I do that too

My gym decided to put a the brightest light in the world right above the only bench press spot in the gym. If I look up, by the end of my set I’m literally blind for a couple of seconds. If I close my eyes I lose balance. I generally tend to watch the bar down and then my head slightly looks to the right to avoid this dumbass light.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Back of eye lids.[/quote]

x2 During the sticking point of squats and deads I do that too.