T Nation

Where to Find Meet Info (Northern Ontario)

Hi there :slight_smile:

Anyone know where I can find some info about meets that would be closer to my area (Sudbury)

Thanks!

Powerlifting watch has a meet search function.

Or go to the Fed’s website you want to compete in.

Sudbury Ontario?

Yup

Okay. There won’t be a ton of meets up that way just 'cause it’s Sudbury :slight_smile:

However, I believe there will be a meet in North Bay in the fall. It hasn’t been scheduled yet. I run the Ontario Powerlifting Association website. If you keep an eye on it at ontariopowerlifting.org you can check the schedule.

On the right hand side is a column that says “upcoming meets” We list the place and date. If you click on each one, you’ll get the detailed information. The OPA is a CPU/IPF affiliate. There’s also a crap load of information on joining our association, registering for a meet and everything you’d need to know for a meet from equipment to rules etc. That part is under the resources column on the right hand side. I’d love it if you did one of our meets.

I don’t know what other federations have meets up that way. You could try 100% Raw. I don’t think the CPF does much up there.

oooh thank you!
I had looked and didnt see anything that wasnt to far away… I just want to try it out and see if its my thing :slight_smile:
Thanks for the heads up on North Bay…that is definitely doable!
I hope they decide to have one!

Any reason in particular no one does anything here?

[quote]coyotegal wrote:
oooh thank you!
I had looked and didnt see anything that wasnt to far away… I just want to try it out and see if its my thing :slight_smile:
Thanks for the heads up on North Bay…that is definitely doable!
I hope they decide to have one!

Any reason in particular no one does anything here?[/quote]

Because it’s in Sudbury? Giant nickel aside, what is there? jk.

With the exception of the Toronto Super Show, meets are run and financed by clubs. Because of the standards set by the IPF/CPU/OPA, you have to have capital just to get the equipment to run a meet. For instance you have to have a proper competition set that falls within the parameters laid out by the IPF like an Eleiko weight set and squat/bench set up. Most of the older, more established clubs that have built that over time are Niagara, London, Ottawa and Powerpit in Belle River (south and east).

Another aspect is that it’s all volunteer driven. Like any organization, many of our members are happy to just show up and reap the benefits of the people who do the work. We’re in the middle of organizing the Toronto Super Show and it’s a shit ton of work that requires a lot of people to run smoothly. In areas with smaller populations, it’s tougher to get the people together to get things going because there are fewer people to draw on.

Having said that, our President is committed to growth in the North. It’s actually been years since we’ve had a representative for that area.

Just keep an eye on the schedule. You may also want to check out the clubs. I don’t see any up north right now that are registered (listed on the club tab/link) but Ron might know of some up your way that just haven’t registered.

HAHA ok ok, I get it :wink:

Thank you for the info, and good luck with your planning!

The other two organizations that run several meets across Ontario are the CPF/ Canadian WPC and the 100% Raw Federation.
I do not know if they have anything close to Sudbury but I have taken lifters from my team to both of these organizations.
Different experiences between the two but both are well run.

Michael