T Nation

Where to Find a Power Rack?

I’m building a home gym, and I have a few questions, but the most question is where can I find a good priced power rack? I’ve got some weights now, but trying to find a power rack that is around $300 or less is really hard. Does anyone know a place to get a good, relatively cheap power rack? No one seems to sell it on craigslist.

So after that slightly more in depth question, this is my basic questions:

1. Where to find a good priced power rack?

2. Where to find a bench that has incline (and hopefully decline, but thats not a huge deal) but doesn’t have the posts to hold to bar? (so it can easily fit inside the power rack and I could use the power rack posts to hold the weight.)

3. Is there a cheap piece of equipment that gives like a massage to your muscles? (the reason I am asking this is because I have recently discovered research that says massage after working out helps speed up muscle recovery.)

One more question:

I’m getting a home weight set, but is flooring a good idea? I have thin indoor/outdoor carpet, and is that alright to lift on? Would it provide enough traction for safety? Or should I get some rubber flooring? Flooring would cost another 60-100 bucks.

www.elitefts.com end thread

uh, I can’t find a single power rack on that site for less than $1000. Not exactly affordable.

[quote]fisch wrote:
I’m building a home gym, and I have a few questions, but the most question is where can I find a good priced power rack? I’ve got some weights now, but trying to find a power rack that is around $300 or less is really hard. Does anyone know a place to get a good, relatively cheap power rack? No one seems to sell it on craigslist.

So after that slightly more in depth question, this is my basic questions:

1. Where to find a good priced power rack?

2. Where to find a bench that has incline (and hopefully decline, but thats not a huge deal) but doesn’t have the posts to hold to bar? (so it can easily fit inside the power rack and I could use the power rack posts to hold the weight.)

3. Is there a cheap piece of equipment that gives like a massage to your muscles? (the reason I am asking this is because I have recently discovered research that says massage after working out helps speed up muscle recovery.)[/quote]

1&2. NY barbell has cheap racks that seem decent.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/powerracks.html

I have a cheap Weider rack that I bought from a Michigan sporting goods chain called Dunhams. It is limited in the amount of weight it can handle, but it was $300 and came with a bench. Time to move up soon though.

Though if you can swing the elitelifts rack it will be your first and last.

1. Read this.

If you can’t find a power rack on Craigslist, a yard sale or from a local gym going out of business, then shop at places like Play-It-Again sports where you can get new and used equipment for less. I bought a Body Solid power rack in 2004 for $264. I later upgraded it to include the lat/row attachment.

The best flat, incline, decline bench is the Ironmaster Super Bench. It’s a deal for the price as well. Strong, sturdy and does everything you need for a fraction of the price as most others. They even have a sale going on with all of their equipment good until October 22.

http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Super-Bench-pr-3.html

[quote]This has been a record year for Ironmaster (thanks to all of Nate Dogg’s referrals!) and we truly appreciate your support. Everyone knows that these are tough economic times, and we are ready to help make you stronger and help your personal finances with an offer of a 5% discount on orders over $100. The more you buy, the bigger the savings.

Note: This discount only applies to new orders placed between 10/9/08 - 10/22/08. This is a limited time offer and a very rare Ironmaster discount event, so don’t miss out!

Enter discount code ECON52008 during checkout or call to order and mention the offer.[/quote]

As for flooring, go to a feed store or other tractor/feed vendor in your town and ask about 4’ x 6’ rubber (stable) mats. They will cost a lot less and will work much better. I highly recommend using the mats over your carpet. You need something more than the flooring for a home gym.

I’m sure there is a massage device that will suite your needs, but I don’t know of any off the top of my head.

I swear by nybarbells. Their stuff is cheap and the rack is sturdy. 0-90 adjustable bench isn’t half-bad either. EVERYTHING (rack, bench and mats) cost me a little over $400, and that’s the fancy stuff. If you just want a squat rack and a flat bench you might get away with $200 or under.

This is what I have:

Nothing fancy, but it does everything I want it to do without any hassles and it’s very stable. It was only $299 when I ordered it though.