Where to Begin?

[quote]rookie lifter wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Do you think for a lazy ass like me, doing p90x is a better idea? I mean, I wanna get cut but I think lifting is more extreme. I think with p90x I just do it for 90 days and watch what I eat going forward. [/quote]

(Gonna go with likely troll here, but…)

Do the extreme thing; lift for awhile, fix your diet. Then go hit on women in the Zumba class.[/quote]

Not trolling bro. I really don’t wanna spend too much time working out as I have a lot of classes and other school activities I participate in, I am enrolled in a masters program…

But I know I need to get in better shape. So I was curious about whether lifting of a program like p90x was better suited for my needs. I understand most of you guys probably aren’t in the same boat as I… But I still wanna get input as to the pros and cons of each.

And laugh all you want, chicks were hot in that zumba class.[/quote]

Push ups, Chin ups/pull ups, bw squats, bw lunges, sit ups, lying superman( lowback excercise ) can go along way if your only goal is to be “in shape”. Also a simple Bodyweight routine done every other day can build a decent base of body awarness and some strenght that will come in handy if you decide to start lifting weights later down the road. I am not strong by anyones standards, but I am alot stronger than I started and I did mostly chins and push ups my first training year and I gained something like 7kg and I even increased my bench from a pathetic 6x40kg to ( still pathetic ) 3x60kg with mostly push ups in a year with a complete crap diet( read way to little food ). So just do something as simple as doing some bodyweight excercises every other day and you will probably look a little better and be a little stronger.

The point here is that doing something beats doing nothing everytime!

Good luck.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Do you think for a lazy ass like me, doing p90x is a better idea? I mean, I wanna get cut but I think lifting is more extreme. I think with p90x I just do it for 90 days and watch what I eat going forward. [/quote]

Do the extreme thing; lift for awhile, fix your diet. Then go hit on women in the Zumba class.[/quote]

Not trolling bro. I really don’t wanna spend too much time working out as I have a lot of classes and other school activities I participate in, I am enrolled in a masters program…

But I know I need to get in better shape. So I was curious about whether lifting of a program like p90x was better suited for my needs. I understand most of you guys probably aren’t in the same boat as I… But I still wanna get input as to the pros and cons of each.

Push ups, Chin ups/pull ups, bw squats, bw lunges, sit ups, lying superman( lowback excercise ) can go along way if your only goal is to be “in shape”. Also a simple Bodyweight routine done every other day can build a decent base of body awarness and some strenght that will come in handy if you decide to start lifting weights later down the road. I am not strong by anyones standards, but I am alot stronger than I started and I did mostly chins and push ups my first training year and I gained something like 7kg and I even increased my bench from a pathetic 6x40kg to ( still pathetic ) 3x60kg with mostly push ups in a year with a complete crap diet( read way to little food ). So just do something as simple as doing some bodyweight excercises every other day and you will probably look a little better and be a little stronger.

Good luck.

[/quote]

You don’t know until you try.

Sitting around never got anything done. Yada Yada… I know bro. Thanks for the motivational words.

Now for the good news. I went lifting with my buddy that eats a lotta Taco Bell and surprisingly I was able to bench 160. He says its always a good sign if I can bench more than I weigh. So I guess this is gonna be easier than I thought… Lofting again either later or tomorrow. We’ll see if I can get up to 180 this time.

[quote]florelius wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Good luck.

[/quote]

You don’t know until you try.

Sitting around never got anything done. Yada Yada… I know bro. Thanks for the motivational words.

Now for the good news. I went lifting with my buddy that eats a lotta Taco Bell and surprisingly I was able to bench 160. He says its always a good sign if I can bench more than I weigh. So I guess this is gonna be easier than I thought… Lofting again either later or tomorrow. We’ll see if I can get up to 180 this time.
[/quote]

Thats impressive man, keep it up :slight_smile:

I should have stopped reading after the first “brah”…

[quote]wswnsc wrote:
I should have stopped reading after the first “brah”…[/quote]
Don’t hate… Go lift weights bro

Gotta train legs bro! Did your boy show you how to do squats?

Actually squats and leg training are a waste of time. Chicks don’t really notice dudes legs that much. Just gotta make sure you’re fit from the waist up. I guess the exception is if you have chicken legs, then maybe a few squats wouldn’t hurt

Brah, just hit the juice.

You know you want to.

Its the easiest way.

Heaps of respect 'aye.

Actually squats and leg training are a waste of time. Chicks don’t really notice dudes legs that much. Just gotta make sure you’re fit from the waist up. I guess the exception is if you have chicken legs, then maybe a few squats wouldn’t hurt[/quote]

Seriously? You come in asking for advice, claim you’re not a troll, and then (despite claiming you don’t know anything), decide to utterly disregard it when somebody gives you rock solid advice? Squats and leg training are a waste of time. You just wrote yourself off, man.

[quote]Northcott wrote:

Actually squats and leg training are a waste of time. Chicks don’t really notice dudes legs that much. Just gotta make sure you’re fit from the waist up. I guess the exception is if you have chicken legs, then maybe a few squats wouldn’t hurt[/quote]

Seriously? You come in asking for advice, claim you’re not a troll, and then (despite claiming you don’t know anything), decide to utterly disregard it when somebody gives you rock solid advice? Squats and leg training are a waste of time. You just wrote yourself off, man.
[/quote]

wait, whut?

Yeah I came and asked for advice… doesnt necessarily mean I have to take every piece…

I think you mighta misunderstood my response to him. I’m saying that for my particular goal with lifting, squats are a waste of time. The chicks I go for arent after the totally juiced out meat heads (no offence to anyone here). Which is why I’m strictly benching and curling. but to each his own and best of luck to all of you

[quote]Northcott wrote:

[/quote]

wait, whut?

Yeah I came and asked for advice… doesnt necessarily mean I have to take every piece…

I think you mighta misunderstood my response to him. I’m saying that for my particular goal with lifting, squats are a waste of time. The chicks I go for arent after the totally juiced out meat heads (no offence to anyone here). Which is why I’m strictly benching and curling. but to each his own and best of luck to all of you[/quote]

LOL @ this.

Women love my legs/ass.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]rookie lifter wrote:Experience: I tried the p90x but quit after 2 days. I also went to some Zumba classes, but stopped going after laziness. there were some hot chicks tho…
[/quote]

Troll?[/quote]

No im pretty sure there were some hot chicks with fine booty at the zumba classes.
This gym i go to has some of those classes going on at certain times and i always see a whole bunch of well shaped women wearing spandex and such waiting outside for the class to start.

read the beginner stickies

[quote]Northcott wrote:

[/quote]

wait, whut?

I think you mighta misunderstood my response to him. I’m saying that for my particular goal with lifting, squats are a waste of time. The chicks I go for arent after the totally juiced out meat heads (no offence to anyone here). Which is why I’m strictly benching and curling. but to each his own and best of luck to all of you[/quote]

Bro you’re doing it wrong. Chicks only like guys with big dicks bro. Those bicep curls will make you mad swolle bro and your dick will look tiny and no chick wants a man with a tiny looking dick.

Best idea is to go on a 1000 calorie diet (all through protein shakes) and hit up the sauna 3 hours a day. Then the bitches will come when the see how big your dick looks. Some assistance work can be to shave your pubes two times a day

On a serious note, make sure you hit your legs hard to. I know you don’t think they’re needed now, but if you lift and eat consistently for two years with your mentality, you will look like an idiot with a huge upper body and chicken legs. Because of your chicken legs, you wont be able to wear shorts and you wont be able to wear tight jeans without looking like and idiot and girls will be laughing at you. Now do you really want girls to laugh at you?

wait, whut?

I really can’t tell if this guy’s a troll or not. It almost sounds exaggerated, but I’ve seen the vast numbers of curlbros with similar mentalities that infest university gyms…

OP, if you aren’t a troll, let me just throw this out there: I don’t think lifting is right for you. You’ve already said that you have a hard time sticking with programs and are lazy. And you’ve also stated that you’re working out to look good for women. I’ve seen many young guys with similar attitudes, and they tend to do upper body oriented workouts and quit after a few months or aren’t willing to workout/eat/sleep in a regular way (and also the right way) and never see good gains. These guys don’t realize that there’s more to lifting than meets the eye: it’s a lifestyle. If you don’t enjoy lifting or see some intrinsic reward in lifting, you probably won’t stick with it.

And for god’s sake if you do try to prove me wrong, workout your legs and back. You will not get Tom Platz’s legs by trying to workout in a balanced way. Doing a “bench, curlz, and abzzz brah” workout will net you little gains, make you great at bench and curling (but weak as a little girl in any functional sense), an unbalanced physique, and make you look like a total fucking tool. Still want to work out like that?

I’m sure the vast majority of people here have been through a “bro-workout” stage where we thought we knew our shit before endeavouring to achieve our goals in more intelligent ways. Everyone here has been through this before and knows a hell of a lot more than you do, so drop the attitude and accept the advice given.

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:
On a serious note, make sure you hit your legs hard to. I know you don’t think they’re needed now, but if you lift and eat consistently for two years with your mentality, you will look like an idiot with a huge upper body and chicken legs. Because of your chicken legs, you wont be able to wear shorts and you wont be able to wear tight jeans without looking like and idiot and girls will be laughing at you. Now do you really want girls to laugh at you? [/quote]

Look, I understand the importance of a balanced and congruent look. I’m not a retard. I’m not saying to never work out your legs, I was just saying that upper body is way more important because it stands out and is noticeable. Unless your some faggot that wears lululemon yoga pants, no ones really checkin out your legs that much. But yeah, make sure they’re not chicken legs. Got it. I’ll run on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week.

On a serious note, make sure you hit your legs hard to. I know you don’t think they’re needed now, but if you lift and eat consistently for two years with your mentality, you will look like an idiot with a huge upper body and chicken legs. Because of your chicken legs, you wont be able to wear shorts and you wont be able to wear tight jeans without looking like and idiot and girls will be laughing at you. Now do you really want girls to laugh at you? [/quote]

Look, I understand the importance of a balanced and congruent look. I’m not a retard. I’m not saying to never work out your legs, I was just saying that upper body is way more important because it stands out and is noticeable. Unless your some faggot that wears lululemon yoga pants, no ones really checkin out your legs that much. But yeah, make sure they’re not chicken legs. Got it. I’ll run on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week.[/quote]

So besides the treadmill, what else are you doing? What exercises, how often, what sets/reps?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Look, I understand the importance of a balanced and congruent look. I’m not a retard. I’m not saying to never work out your legs, I was just saying that upper body is way more important because it stands out and is noticeable. Unless your some faggot that wears lululemon yoga pants, no ones really checkin out your legs that much. But yeah, make sure they’re not chicken legs. Got it. I’ll run on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day, 3 times a week.[/quote]

So besides the treadmill, what else are you doing? What exercises, how often, what sets/reps?[/quote]

Well, I just started, but been hitting the gym about twice a week. I’m benching and curling so far, but gonna start running the treadmill to get an overall balanced look. Like I said before, I’m not trying to get to meathead status (no offence to anyone here) but more of like a swimmers body. I might have to do situps eventually to get some definition.

I already can get chicks, but I want more and higher scale ones; thus my efforts into lifting.

Maybe after a month, I’ll go back to those zumba classes and have em all droolin over me cock…

Haha, we’ll see.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

So besides the treadmill, what else are you doing? What exercises, how often, what sets/reps?[/quote]

Well, I just started, but been hitting the gym about twice a week. I’m benching and curling so far, but gonna start running the treadmill to get an overall balanced look. Like I said before, I’m not trying to get to meathead status (no offence to anyone here) but more of like a swimmers body. I might have to do situps eventually to get some definition.

I already can get chicks, but I want more and higher scale ones; thus my efforts into lifting.

Maybe after a month, I’ll go back to those zumba classes and have em all droolin over me cock…

Haha, we’ll see.[/quote]

At the very least, throw in some rows of some sort. Low cable rows. Bent over rows. Something. Over time, all the chest work will start pulling your shoulders in and forward. You’re probably going to want to keep your shoulders out and back – so that people can tell you actually bench press. Rows can help with that.

And once you’re doing that, pullups/pulldowns would be a good addition.

And, um, some sort of tricep movement.

Now, basically, your routine really really sucks… but if you’re not going to do everything right, at least do a few things right.