Where to Begin?

I’m stuck on where to begin with my dieting. I’ve been reading a lot from this site and from elitefts but don’t really know where to start. A little background information on me at the moment:

Height: 5’9
Weight: 177 lbs
BF: About 15%, have not had it measure, this is an estimate. I am by no means ‘defined’ or ‘cut’.
Supplements: Multivitamin, FIsh Oil, Glucosamine all in the morning. Protein shake and ~5g creatine PWO. Just ordered some L-leucine as well that I will be using with probably 2 meals a day being the first and last meals.

Ive been lifting hard following WS4SB III. Since this week right now is deload week, starting this coming week I will be incorporating HIIT sled dragging on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Previously have been doing sprints on Tuesdays, but wasn’t following HIIT protocol since I wasn’t aware of it.

I’m posting because I dont know where to start dieting/losing fat. Cut out carbs? Low carb? Meals 3 hours apart? 3 meals a day? I just dont know where to begin which I why I decided to post.

On a side note, I have a retarded question on my part but, what foods are no carbs? I’ve searched and can’t find anything but I swear I’ve read it before just do not remember.

PICTURES 6/18/10

Perhaps you can start with some of Dr John Berardi’s T-Nation articles (I think they date back to 2006/2007), they have great information on nutrition and the basis for his Precision Nutrition series.

You’re doing WS4SB but your goal is to lose fat? Are you skinny-fat or? (That’s a real term, look it up).

No carb foods? Meaning you’re looking for a protein source with no carbs or what?

Supplements seem fine but should never replace whole foods. Try the Fish Oil at meal times instead. Your pre/peri/post nutrition shakes needs to be looked at closely (articles on this site available for that too).

Well, sounds like you have a goal. The more explicit you can make it, and the better your means of measuring progress are, the better you’ll do. Take pictures, or measurements, or whatever you want, but most importantly - just begin. Pick an approach that appeals to you and follow it. Give it time to work. Evaluate your progress.

Anything is preferable to waiting for the optimal plan to show up. The focus should not be on minutiae.Just do something.

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:
Perhaps you can start with some of Dr John Berardi’s T-Nation articles (I think they date back to 2006/2007), they have great information on nutrition and the basis for his Precision Nutrition series.

You’re doing WS4SB but your goal is to lose fat? Are you skinny-fat or? (That’s a real term, look it up).

No carb foods? Meaning you’re looking for a protein source with no carbs or what?

Supplements seem fine but should never replace whole foods. Try the Fish Oil at meal times instead. Your pre/peri/post nutrition shakes needs to be looked at closely (articles on this site available for that too).[/quote]
I have been reading a ton of articles from Dr. Berardi. I will check it out though.

Yes I am doing WS4SB and yes I would say I fall into the category of skinny-fat.

I’m asking what foods, any kinds, protein, grains, vegetables, fruits, etc are no carb. What do people eat when they have a meal with no carbs?

I do know that supplements should never replace whole foods or a meal. I will try the fish oil at meals. And I will read into the pre/peri/post nutrition.

Start with a caloric deficit.

Seriously if you’re skinny fat you should not be cutting that much and for you to be undefined skinny-fat at your height and weight you’d have to be a lot more than 15% bodyfat. I’m at ~15% bodyfat and I’m 5’10 weighing 168 lb and have some definition. I’m trying to gain - not cut.

Sure you don’t want to go crazy on high carb foods but you don’t need to cut them, stick to complex carbs and they’ll give you energy. When the average fatty says they lost weight cutting carbs, its not always the healthy type of fat loss its just raw numbers on the scale. Carbs in packaged foods are also indicative of added sugars so cutting carbs for someone that eats a lot of processed crap equates to eating less sugar. Complex carbs are not the enemy.

As for what is complex carb vs low carb vs no carb. Not to sound like a prick but http://www.google.com

It would be helpful if you posted either your pictures and/or your true lifts (as opposed to internet I’m embarrassed of my sorry self +20 lifts).

I will post some pictures later. I’m not undefined, just not where I want to be so I’m being critical I guess. I am in no way out of shape, I play lacrosse 2x a week at the collegiate level.
As for current lifts they are:
Bench: 2x3 150
Squat: 2x3 215

Right now I seem to be getting mixed responses? Caloric deficit, keep calories the same, worry about eating healthy carbs. I know already a caloric deficit isn’t the way to go. And I have read that keeping calories the same just eating good calories and carbs.

I uploaded a couple pics into the original post also.

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:
I’m stuck on where to begin with my dieting. I’ve been reading a lot from this site and from elitefts but don’t really know where to start.[/quote]
Don’t overwhelm yourself with info. Make sure you’re actually putting things into practice.

For simple tips to clean up your nutrition, follow this one step at a time:

[quote]BF: About 15%, have not had it measure, this is an estimate. I am by no means ‘defined’ or ‘cut’[/quote]…

Based on those two photos, you are not defined and I’d be very surprised if your bodyfat anywhere in the teens. Not that bodyfat percentage is even a reliable way of tracking progress. Go with regular photos and measurements.

Higher carb foods include things like grains, bread, cereal/oatmeal, rice, potatoes, “starches”, and most fruit (arguable, but that’s a topic for another thread).

I meant not “defined” not undefined. Sorry for the typo. Based on that picture what would you guess my BF % is around? Thanks for the link and the tips.

If you want to lose bodyfat, you need to be expending more energy than you consume, so either reduce calories, or increase activity, or both.

Christian Thibaudau recommends sticking to 50g - 100g carbs with your breakfast, and 50g - 100g a couple hours before you workout. Just have oatmeal for both. Simple.

But if you want to lose body fat, you need to be in a caloric deficit.

Train hard.

How do I determine what my caloric deficit is so I dont go too low?

Well before you even cut calories you have to look at what you eat each day. Make a food log for each meal for a week (if your serious about this a week is nothing) and post it up here. As im sure there are many flaws in your current diet. After that just take advice from people on here and take some baby steps with taking foods out that you shouldn’t eat. As time goes by it won’t even feel like your on a weight loss diet.

That is one thing I know that there is a TON of flaws in my diet now. I have been reading a ton and I’m going to make a template for me which will show how much protein/carbs/fats I should be getting per day based on my body and my goals. Hopefully people will be able to critique that and give me advice and tips.

People will definitely help out, i would but im still learning about things myself. What i do know is treat this like a lifestyle, don’t just eat a certain way because you are dieting. You should be eating this way all the time (clean, nutrient rich foods). Sure you will have to bump up if you are maintaining or trying to put on muscle. That doesn’t mean a change in the foods your eating though, just the amount. It’s pretty simple stuff.

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:
I’m stuck on where to begin with my dieting. I’ve been reading a lot from this site and from elitefts but don’t really know where to start. A little background information on me at the moment:

BF: About 15%, have not had it measure, this is an estimate. I am by no means ‘defined’ or ‘cut’.
Supplements: Multivitamin, FIsh Oil, Glucosamine all in the morning. Protein shake and ~5g creatine PWO. Just ordered some L-leucine as well that I will be using with probably 2 meals a day being the first and last meals.

Ive been lifting hard following WS4SB III. Since this week right now is deload week, starting this coming week I will be incorporating HIIT sled dragging on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Previously have been doing sprints on Tuesdays, but wasn’t following HIIT protocol since I wasn’t aware of it.

I’m posting because I dont know where to start dieting/losing fat. Cut out carbs? Low carb? Meals 3 hours apart? 3 meals a day? I just dont know where to begin which I why I decided to post.

On a side note, I have a retarded question on my part but, what foods are no carbs? I’ve searched and can’t find anything but I swear I’ve read it before just do not remember.

PICTURES 6/18/10

[/quote]

My advice.Dont over think it.Keep training ,Cut out the shit you eat that might not be good for you.Unless your goal is to step on a BB stage.Makeing yourself nuts over diet isnt what you need.But before I go on what are you goals in the first place?Are you lifting for sports?To be bigger and Stronger?or to just to be “Buff”?

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

PICTURES 6/18/10

[/quote]

My advice.Dont over think it.Keep training ,Cut out the shit you eat that might not be good for you.Unless your goal is to step on a BB stage.Makeing yourself nuts over diet isnt what you need.But before I go on what are you goals in the first place?Are you lifting for sports?To be bigger and Stronger?or to just to be “Buff”?[/quote]
Yes I am lifting for sports. To be bigger, stronger and leaner for better athletic performance.

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

PICTURES 6/18/10

[/quote]

My advice.Dont over think it.Keep training ,Cut out the shit you eat that might not be good for you.Unless your goal is to step on a BB stage.Makeing yourself nuts over diet isnt what you need.But before I go on what are you goals in the first place?Are you lifting for sports?To be bigger and Stronger?or to just to be “Buff”?[/quote]
Yes I am lifting for sports. To be bigger, stronger and leaner for better athletic performance.[/quote]

To be bigger: Increase the quantity of food but without sacrificing quality, which you may need to improve prior to doing this increase.
To be stronger: Lift with an ever increasing weight scheme so you don’t get stuck on the same weight for months and months
To be leaner: It will come with the above two, for a little boost consider some additional cardio or complex work. Sprinting, Jumping Rope, Swimming Laps, Playing Pick-Up Ball, Fartlek, Heavy Bag work. Whatever you enjoy.

But keep in mind if you want to get bigger and leaner at the same time it is very difficult. You essentially have to first start getting a little leaner with a set program, this is the steps I personally took:

1. Fix diet so I began to get changes without much change to exercise
  2. Increase exercise and program it
  3. Begin to SLOWLY increase food until I was making steady gains

For an analogy, doing all 3 at one time is like trying to solve for 3 variables all at once. Its going to be a lot of guessing and pure luck. If you simplify the equation to do 1 variable at a time though its much easier.

Thats good to know enders. The first step listed is beginning tomorrow and I will go from there.

[quote]pbclax1 wrote:

I’m asking what foods, any kinds, protein, grains, vegetables, fruits, etc are no carb. What do people eat when they have a meal with no carbs?[/quote]

Basically, for your low/no carb meals, stick with meat and green veggies.

This will help you immensely. You need carbs first thing in the morning and pre- and post-workout.

If you don’t get some carbs pre-workout, you’ll think you’re really busting your hump in the gym, but you’ll really just be running out of gas. To fine-tune the amount, just do an intense workout without eating carbs that day (so you know what it feels like). Next week, or the next time you do that particular workout, get plenty of carbs before-hand. Then, decrease the amount of carbs each week until you get that out-of-gas feeling right at the end of the session.

Another pre-workout tip is to get some pure dextrose and drink about 20g mixed in water 15min before. Gives you an insulin spike for faster on-the-go refueling of muscle cells.

After the workout, your body is primed for food, so fucking eat. This is the everything-that-isn’t-nailed-down-gets-gone meal.

EDIT: I left out protein because I assume you know to eat a good amount with every meal.