Where Have the Good Men Gone?

[quote]Chad_Hunt wrote:
Where Have the Good Men Gone?..They joined the Air Force.[/quote]

Fixed that for you. No charge.

I could believe parts of that article. I’ve said for years that previous generations were tougher than ours. My Grandfather endured NINA, te Depression, and then ran the hills of Germany with a heavy as ruck and rifle while smoking unfiltered cigarettes. What have I got to compare to that?

My war experience consisted of riding in a heavily armored HMMWV while wearing body armor and carring a light rifle and smoking filtered cigarettes. No caomparison at all.

On a different note, look around next time you’re at the grocery store. Count how many men are taking care of their kids. Can anyone here see their father as the kind of guy to strap on a Baby Bjorn or do the dishes? There’s not a chance in hell my dad would have done either of those things. So it’s not all bad, I guess is what I’m try to get at.

I do see an alarming trend in guys in their 20’s. Of course I’m in my 30’s and most guys my age aren’t much better. I work in a field based on manual labor and our average new hire is about 23. I don’t know bout Star Wars or video games, but I do see a basic lack of maturity and accountability. I also see a sense of entitlement and expectation that others should bend over backward to accommodate them. Most of these guys are more likely to do a job until they get tired than until it’s done and they seem convinced that they are special, the world is safe and nothing can harm them.

There was a comment earlier about not taking yourself seriously all the time. Humor is good, but it seems that we are forgetting how to get serious about anything. Of the 25(±) guys I’ve worked with in the past few years I can think of just 2 who I would trust at all in a clutch situation or who are anywhere near to being ready to be a husband or a father. I wouldn’t want my daughter or my sister needing to rely on these guys. The basic thinking seems to be that if it isn’t “fun” it isn’t worth doing. If “evolution” or the shift from a labor based to a technology based economy has rendered these basic, adult qualities obsolete, well I don’t know what to say.

I absolutely believe that we are growing soft, fat, weak and slow, in every sense. A couple of generations of peace and prosperity (funded largely on credit) has allowed us to become deeply lazy and complacent. Not only does this compromise our ability to compete on the world stage, it actually disconnects us from the real sources of joy and satisfaction in this life. IMO there is more to life than “hobbies” and “leisure” and football is better played outside than on PS3.

[quote]Anonymity wrote:
What a total crock of shit.

STAR WARS IS NOT A MOVIE FOR TEENAGERS![/quote]

This is true, I would not have been able to appreciate the craptasticness that was the prequel until my late 20s.

[quote]Reygekan wrote:
This article is retarded.

It seems to be making two points:

1. Guys in their 20s are more immature

2. Marriage is happening later

3. is a very one sided and incredibly stupid point. I could say that girls have gotten continuously sluttier, as way back when getting married also meant giving up your virginity. Should I argue that? Well fuck no, that’d be stupid. Freedoms have changed, and for men, in this case, it’s both pressure and monetary. They have easier lives- they’re not going to starve to death if they don’t work 12 hour days, and they’re not expected to marry young, and there isn’t nearly as much pressure to at 14 as there was back then.

We have free time. We can actually have hobbies nowadays, we’re not forced into the factory at 13. Should we stop liking Star Wars, considered one of the greatest epics of our time, because we’re older? Stop playing video games? Hey, let’s stop playing sports, watching TV, and reading books for entertainment. That’s clearly immature. And god forbid we do any of those things with the friends we’ve been hanging out with our whole lives, and had the same hobbies with growing up! Let’s stop weight lifting, that’s stupid and pointless. We should just fill our leisure time with work and nothing but it. I mean hell, that’s what girls do. No friends, only focused on work and being good moms.

The environment your dad grew up in and the environment you grew up in are entirely different. If I want to make a lot of money, I’m getting a graduate’s degree and I’m in college until around 25, long past when my brain stopped maturing at 21. No shit I’m going to be different. Society has entirely different expectations of men. And the article seems only to address men, ignoring the change in women entirely- and fuck you if you don’t think women have changed- using the most ridiculous stereotypes I’ve ever seen. Where have the good women gone?

1. Talks about how bad it is that marriage is happening later, as guys are now avoiding marriage because they’re incredibly immature. Really? It takes a man and a women to get married in a straight relationship, so the numbers should be roughly the same for both men and women unless lesbianism is suddenly becoming a standard in the female population. Why is this mentioned only as men avoiding marriage? And with divorce rates as they are, why is this a bad thing? They should be waiting until they’re out of college and have financial security before getting married, not just doing it in college when they aren’t working full time (or maybe they do work full time and go to school part time, in which case, where the fuck are they going to find time to manage a relationship?) And because there are so many possible mates, as the article addresses, how the fuck are we supposed to just pick one young anyway?

Guys are softer because they grew up in an entirely different environment that doesn’t treat them like adults until their brain has matured. Of course they’re going to be different. They have more leisure time, more hobbies, more financial stability, and grow up with entirely different expectations about the way they should run their lives. But this isn’t just a guy thing. The only statistics that I can remember were about marriage, and that takes two people, not one.

What I hate most is the way it talks down about men having any kind of fun whatsoever. “Video games? Immature. Star Wars? Immature. Friends? Immature. Beer? Immature. Playboy? Immature. Boxing? Immature.” They should want nothing more than to be dads and nothing else should play any part of their lives. For fucks sake. So girls don’t watch TV or play videogames? God damn, I didn’t know Glee was such a manly show. Or the climbing number of female players in videogames, must be a mistake right. No girl has ever seen or still likes Star Wars, and guys suck for liking boxing but god damn a woman is the pinnacle of maturity for wanting to watch a fashion show or go to the spa, because methods of relaxation should be categorized in some tier of maturity where everything most guys like is on the bottom. Videogames aren’t even MADE for adults, that M rating means “Mostly for Children.”

For fucks sake. The gender bias is ridiculous.[/quote]

Tremendous post. Absolutely true.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]Chad_Hunt wrote:
Where Have the Good Men Gone?..They joined the Marine Corps.[/quote]

That’s BS. There [sic] are a bunch of thick headed, arrogant pricks in the marine corps.[/quote]

Kind of a sweeping judgement, I’m sure H4M would love to hear all about your knowledge on the USMC probably have a good laugh, I’m sure other guys on here would enjoy your little spiel, as well. Should I go fetch them so you can explain to them why they are a bunch of pricks?[/quote]

What’s with the [sic] there?
[/quote]

Means errors are not on my part. I didn’t change them.[/quote]

Isn’t that what the ‘quote’ function you were making use of is for? Or do you routinely proofread the posts you quote for grammatical correctness and decided to just take that one off?

(it’s only humorous because you misread the shit you were ‘correcting’)

By the way, it’s crybaby articles like this written by crybaby bitches which is why I continue to be sexist.

I think life is relative to the person living it. For example I was a Marine, I’ve worked a manual labor job, worked a desk, and am now a full time college student (accounting major). Out of everything I’ve done college is a a breeze because I’ve seen harder days. For some of the kids I go to class with at 18-22 years old these are the hardest days thus far in their lives. Of course they are going to complain about writing a 10 page paper or whatever because it is the most challenge they’ve had. These kids will grown. Maybe they are taking longer to mature that’s debatable, but they will eventually figure it out like every other generation before them.

One other point I wanted to make is the fact that my generation to a lesser extent, but generations before me should take some of the blame. These are the folks that are trying to eliminate trophies and keeping score, you know everyone wins bs, the type that took DODGE BALL away from kids for God knows what reason and they expect kids to mature and be ready for the reality of this world. I think that is a much greater tragedy than kids living with mom and dad through their early 20’s or complaining about school work. If you don’t want your kids to be soft…teach them not to be through your own example and discipline imo.

The only thing I get out of this thread is that I fall in DebraD’s friend range…
…and Iron Dwarf doesn’t. neenerneenerneener

A counterpoint article, much better written and much more true.

“If men are getting married and having children later than at any time in human history that’s probably because men in their 30s are almost invariably better prepared to tackle the responsibilities of adulthood than men in their 20s. Do we really want more generations of 23-year-old men who drink themselves to sleep every night dreaming about what they might have done if they hadn’t gotten married and had kids right out of school? Do we want to repeat the mistakes of our fathers or learn from them?”

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
By the way, it’s crybaby articles like this written by crybaby bitches which is why I continue to be sexist.[/quote]

No it’s because you too are a crybaby bitch :stuck_out_tongue: PHphphpttpt.

I don’t understand the hate for video game playing and what that has to do with maturity, toughness or hard work.

[quote]on edge wrote:
The only thing I get out of this thread is that I fall in DebraD’s friend range…
…and Iron Dwarf doesn’t. neenerneenerneener[/quote]

lol

[quote]debraD wrote:
I don’t understand the hate for video game playing and what that has to do with maturity, toughness or hard work.

[quote]on edge wrote:
…and Iron Dwarf doesn’t. neenerneenerneener[/quote]

lol
[/quote]

I don’t understand that either. How is playing a video game any different then watching a movie, TV show, play, etc… They are all just mediums of expression and we all express ourselves differently.

I think the older folks think they are immature because they can’t figure out how to turn the TV on let alone a video game :slight_smile:

A counterpoint article, much better written and much more true.

“If men are getting married and having children later than at any time in human history that’s probably because men in their 30s are almost invariably better prepared to tackle the responsibilities of adulthood than men in their 20s. Do we really want more generations of 23-year-old men who drink themselves to sleep every night dreaming about what they might have done if they hadn’t gotten married and had kids right out of school? Do we want to repeat the mistakes of our fathers or learn from them?”

[/quote]

I love this quote. I got married young and I don’t regret that one bit, but we have waited to have kids. I’ve been married 4 years now and probably wont have kids for another 3 or 4 at the earliest, but every time I see my mother she asks the same thing, “When am I going to have another grand kid?” What’s funny is she had kids at a young age, much younger than me, but my wife and I have agreed we have several goals to accomplish before the little rug rats come along. It just makes sense to enjoy your youth, then your marriage (just the two of you), and then your kids especially since people are living longer lives these days.

[quote]Alex Good wrote:
You confuse me.[/quote]

It’s not that hard, you are male after all. :wink:

TD54 owned this thread. Spot on post(s).
Well done, sir.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]Chad_Hunt wrote:
Where Have the Good Men Gone?..They joined the Marine Corps.[/quote]

That’s BS. There [sic] are a bunch of thick headed, arrogant pricks in the marine corps.[/quote]

Kind of a sweeping judgement, I’m sure H4M would love to hear all about your knowledge on the USMC probably have a good laugh, I’m sure other guys on here would enjoy your little spiel, as well. Should I go fetch them so you can explain to them why they are a bunch of pricks?[/quote]

What’s with the [sic] there?
[/quote]

Means errors are not on my part. I didn’t change them.[/quote]
Yeah, I know what it means. I just don’t see what’s wrong with “There are…”.
[/quote]

Oh, I see. I guess when I read it, it sounded better as “they are…” or “there is…” because bunch is one of those weird words; however, I suppose people would actually be the correct noun to go off of, and it being a count noun would make the former the better choice.

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:
I could believe parts of that article. I’ve said for years that previous generations were tougher than ours. My Grandfather endured NINA, te Depression, and then ran the hills of Germany with a heavy as ruck and rifle while smoking unfiltered cigarettes. What have I got to compare to that? [/quote]

You wear a dress.

By the way, it’s crybaby articles like this written by crybaby bitches which is why I continue to be sexist.[/quote]

It’s only sexist if we say that we can do what they can do…oh yeah, we can. :wink:

[quote]SSC wrote:
Someone else has got to know what I’m talking about here, but I remember reading an article published fairly recently that basically talks about how every generation (as it gets older) has the inherent belief that their generation is truly better than the one that follows it. Something evolutionary-related.

Anyone help me out here?[/quote]

I’ve read similar remarks from Desmond Morris to Oliver Stone. The evolutionary driving force behind the belief of one generation being ‘better’ (or at least wanting to be different) than the previous is neoteny.