Where Has All the Progress Gone?

Hey! I’m new to this forum and hope you guys can help me out and give me some advice

I’m 25, 6ft2, 95kg (210lbs) and started working out about 1,5 years ago, back then i weighted 185lbs. First i tried starting strenght which worked great, gained size and strenght but stalled on the upper body lifts about 8 weeks into the programm. I resetted multiple times but the strenght gains where minimal and eventually i quit the programm. Then i did greyskull lp which worked great size-wise but my lifts did not improve much.

Currently I’m doing madcow 5x5 which is fun and again i got bigger not much stronger, even tough i did exactly what the programm said… Especially my bench sucks really bad and i can’t get it up.

My current lifts are
bench 1555
oh press 135
bb row 1555
squat 280
deads 240*5

The one thing that is probably fcked up is my diet. I don’t think i get enough protein and i don’t want to gain any extra bodyfat atm, knowing it’s hard to build muscle on a caloric deficit…

So you guys have any idea how i can improve my lifs and start progressing again?

[quote]AustrianLarch wrote:
The one thing that is probably fcked up is my diet. I don’t think i get enough protein and i don’t want to gain any extra bodyfat atm, knowing it’s hard to build muscle on a caloric deficit…
[/quote]

You answered your own question I think.

Even if you don’t want to gain extra body fat, getting enough protein is very important. If you are trying to train heavy and get stronger, why do you think you are going to improve if you are not giving your body the fuel it needs to accomplish this goal?

I have poor genetics as far as being muscular and strong in the weight lifting world. If I can progress and accomplish goals, most able bodies can do it too.

Most times it is a simple answer with a difficult life change. In this case, I can say you are probably not eating correctly (enough on a consistent basis) and training hard. Whenever I stale in my lifts for an extended period of time I consider all of this and in this order:

1. Am I eating enough? and Am I eating quality food to help me accomplish my goal?
  2. Am I getting enough quality rest?
  3. What does my training look like? Is it time to change something or address an issue?
  4. Am I really putting out and giving it my all when it counts when training?

…and I would say 85% of the time it is either #1 or #2.

Your not eating enough period flat. Eat more or stay a Abercrombie model. Personally dont care which but, if your not getting stronger on Mad Cow your wrong.

Going to echo this and say that 1) adequate fuel and 2) adequate rest are the most important factors in getting stronger. I’m actually really shocked that you can put on size while on a deficit, esp if you’re not getting stronger. I’m 6’2" and ~185, and take in 3200-3500 kcal per day and have a hard time putting on mass at all.

One thing that got my lifts to go up was changing rep schemes. Now, I don’t propose to give advice to anyone, given that I’m still pretty inexperienced and more of my knowledge is theoretical rather than practical, but here goes:

I was doing 5/3/1 as a relative novice, and had lifts around where you are. 5/3/1 is great for progression for experienced lifters, but I felt like I was leaving too much on the table in terms of “newbie gains”, so I talked to CT and got a diff program. Big compounds every day, 3x3 @ 3RM, then 3x6 @ -20%, with some assistance work
Bench went from 175x3 to 225x3, deadlift from 265x3 to 325x3, front squat from 145x3 to 195x3, etc all in ~ 2 months.

Anyway, heavy triples seemed to be a magic bullet for me, so if you’ve been pigeonholing yourself into 5rep sets forever, try adjusting the rep ranges (in either direction).

But really, first focus on your food and sleep quality AND quantity before any of that.

Thx! Yeah thats what i had in mind too;
First priority: Improving my eating quality and quantity.

@Apothecary: Wow! I’m gonna give that a try.

Another qustion: Do you guys think it’s a drawback going back to straight sets, like 5x5 @85-90%?

[quote]Apothecary wrote:
I was doing 5/3/1 as a relative novice, and had lifts around where you are. 5/3/1 is great for progression for experienced lifters, but I felt like I was leaving too much on the table in terms of “newbie gains”, so I talked to CT and got a diff program. Big compounds every day, 3x3 @ 3RM, then 3x6 @ -20%, with some assistance work
Bench went from 175x3 to 225x3, deadlift from 265x3 to 325x3, front squat from 145x3 to 195x3, etc all in ~ 2 months.
[/quote]

Wow, that’s been working really well for you. I was following that thread.

What has your diet looked like?

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Apothecary wrote:
[/quote]

Wow, that’s been working really well for you. I was following that thread.

What has your diet looked like?[/quote]

Thanks, it’s been crazy progress. I had to move to a push+squat/pull+dead split since squatting and deads on the same day started to catch up to me, but its still the same principle. Will try to run this into the ground before starting the Indigo program.

Diet is pretty steady, but I try to vary it to keep it fresh. Small bit of carbs in the AM, then the majority centered around training time:
7a - 1/2 cup oats with cinnamon, 3g fish oil
9a - shake (6oz skim milk, 6-8oz water, 2 scoops protein)
12p - lunch varies, usually salad with chicken, steak+veggies, etc.
3p - piece of fruit and shake (10-12oz water, 1 big scoop of gainer: ~60g pro, 85g carb, 15g fat)
330-530p - training, BCAAs intraworkout.
Immediately after - 50g carbs + creatine
6p - shake (6oz water, 6oz milk, gainer. usually works out to ~150C/60P/25F)
730 - “baller-on-a-budget lo mein”: 2 cans tuna, frozen veggies, 1 pack ramen. 3g fish oil.
9p - nuts/trail mix, one last shake (6-10 oz water + 2 scoops protein, ZMA powder).

Sometimes I’ll wake up at 1-2am and grab a shake or bar if I’m hungry.

I know I need to work on getting more whole foods in, but I’m NOT a morning person, and given that I work across from my gym, I hit the iron right after work, so I have to bring and keep everything with me for the day. On days that I can work from home, or weekends, etc, I will sub in eggs for my 9am shake, and another whole food meal for my afternoon shake. Little to no booze or coffee, though I do go through a fair bit of sports drink/seltzer.

This has gotten me to visible abs/serratus and decent vascularity while increasing strength.

[quote]AustrianLarch wrote:
Another qustion: Do you guys think it’s a drawback going back to straight sets, like 5x5 @85-90%?[/quote]
I would say that is too high, especially jumping into doing it the very first week, you’ll stale out very quick.

Stick to what you have been doing on Madcow and the progression that it entails with the percentages. Start lighter than heavier. Just put more food in your body, I honestly don’t think you need to change anything else. My girlfriend got strong on Madcow…

[quote]Apothecary wrote:
I’m 6’2" and ~185, and take in 3200-3500 kcal per day and have a hard time putting on mass at all.

One thing that got my lifts to go up was changing rep schemes.

Bench went from 175x3 to 225x3, deadlift from 265x3 to 325x3, front squat from 145x3 to 195x3
[/quote]

Dude… we’re literally the same person.