Where Does Strength Come From?

Hey all,

Check out these two videos on youtube.

Video 1: (Dead Lifts 315lbs. with one hand)

Video 2: (100lbs. Turkish Get Ups)

This guy amazes me. Provided that these videos are ‘real’ (which i do question at times), i have never seen such a display of strength…not in my gym anyway, particularly because the guy seems so skinny.

What do you think? Perhaps you know someone who appears lightweight, but can do heavyweight work…

GL

relative strength is a big thing with lighter guys. I saw a guy out in Indianapolis deadlift 275 for triples, on a light workout, while recovering from a nasty headcold, wieghing only 120lbs. Guy probably pulls 3.5 times his bodyweight easily.

For some guys at my gym, I’ve seen a just under 160lb guy back squat ass to grass 182.5kg (401lbs) for a triple, and 440 for a single. There is also a 169lb guy at my club who back squats 400-410 easily regularly.

Or how about that 160lb guy jump to a box about 5 feet 8inchs up, where he was only 5’1 tall.

uhh those are nice but their are plenty of ‘light’ guys who can do some amazing feats of strength.

As for the 1 hand deadlift, people have done over 600 lbs and believe the record is 700 something. Also he is using off hand to help which is cheating. Look at a lot of the light weight professional powerlifters+olympic lifters they move some amazing weight for their size.

[quote]shizen wrote:
uhh those are nice but their are plenty of ‘light’ guys who can do some amazing feats of strength.

As for the 1 hand deadlift, people have done over 600 lbs and believe the record is 700 something. Also he is using off hand to help which is cheating. Look at a lot of the light weight professional powerlifters+olympic lifters they move some amazing weight for their size. [/quote]

I’m saying for like “average” people and not world class athletes.

if you want to really go for that, Naim Suleyomanglu front squatted 200kg for a double as a 60kg.

Ivanov front squatting 200 as a 62.

Reza has reportably back squatted 440kg. Taranenko has done 380 for a double w/ 2 second pause at the bottom.

Botev w/ a 320kg back squat. Reza also has reportably has done over a thousand pounds in a pull!

Those guys you described are hardly average.

Average is sitting at home with a beer in front of the TV.

Average in the gym is sitting on a machine in front of the TV.

So what is it that makes the muscle so strong (its obviously not its size)?
Or am i asking a scientific question?

[quote]RushNRocket wrote:
So what is it that makes the muscle so strong (its obviously not its size)?
Or am i asking a scientific question?[/quote]

Muscle fiber types, efficiency of nervous system, insertion locations, and size

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Average is sitting at home with a beer in front of the TV.

Average in the gym is sitting on a machine in front of the TV.
[/quote]

Hahahaha! word!

[quote]AssOnGrass wrote:

Muscle fiber types, efficiency of nervous system, insertion locations, and size
[/quote]

Pretty much what he said. Im sure you could find more on wikipedia, or read something like “science and practice of strength training”.

You dont have to be big to be strong, but the longer YOU train, the more you will need to get bigger, to get stronger.

I was watching a program on the discovery channel about strength and they say that an average person is only capable of recruiting about 30% or so of their total muscle mass in non-life threatening circumstances. That can obviously be improved upon through training, but it has a limit(100% duh). I dont think that anyone is actually able to recruit 100%, but I really dont know.

[quote]dankid wrote:

You dont have to be big to be strong, but the longer YOU train, the more you will need to get bigger, to get stronger.[/quote]

Yeah.

Once your nervous system starts to catch up and can start handling the loads and movement becomes more efficient then your muscles start need to grow.

For the most part it’s a combo of the 2 happening at once though.

Most newb strength gains are nervous system related.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
I was watching a program on the discovery channel about strength and they say that an average person is only capable of recruiting about 30% or so of their total muscle mass in non-life threatening circumstances. That can obviously be improved upon through training, but it has a limit(100% duh). I dont think that anyone is actually able to recruit 100%, but I really dont know.[/quote]

I think I saw the same show, was it the one where the rockclimber bench pressed a 1200 pound rock to save himself from falling off a cliff.

[quote]josh10090 wrote:
Scrotus wrote:
I was watching a program on the discovery channel about strength and they say that an average person is only capable of recruiting about 30% or so of their total muscle mass in non-life threatening circumstances. That can obviously be improved upon through training, but it has a limit(100% duh). I dont think that anyone is actually able to recruit 100%, but I really dont know.

I think I saw the same show, was it the one where the rockclimber bench pressed a 1200 pound rock to save himself from falling off a cliff.[/quote]

yeah, they shouldnt call it a bench press though, because he didnt lock it out, he missed it over his head.

[quote]Scrotus wrote:
josh10090 wrote:
Scrotus wrote:

I think I saw the same show, was it the one where the rockclimber bench pressed a 1200 pound rock to save himself from falling off a cliff.

yeah, they shouldnt call it a bench press though, because he didnt lock it out, he missed it over his head.[/quote]

ya, true.

[quote]josh10090 wrote:
Scrotus wrote:
josh10090 wrote:
Scrotus wrote:

yeah, they shouldnt call it a bench press though, because he didnt lock it out, he missed it over his head.

ya, true.[/quote]

I saw the special too… and I don’t think it should be called a bench press either. Plus if he was sliding toward the edge, and his body stopped while trying to move the rock… couldn’t the momentum help get the rock up past his head? Amazing for sure… but I dont think it was equivalent to lifting a 1200lb rock when on your back.

I saw that special too… and the aftermath of that was he ripped every tendon in his chest lol. He was basically a cripple for 6 months, but still alive. Strength is really more limited by tendons and nervous system and stuff than the actual muscle.

A 120 lbs orangatang have been known to rip the arms out of the sockets of the their trainers. Sounds painful. Those real strong little guys can get injured easy tho… especially in contact sports.

I think chimps, orangatangs and gorillas, etc have a lot better tendons and stuff than us. Just look at their wrists.

One thing that i have heard to do with the whole gorilla strength is not just nerves and muscle fibers but actually bones. See when you try to lift a real heavy amount your brain will stop you protecting itself from an injury and as anyone can tell gorilla’s have much larger bones so they are able to go a lot further before there brain stops them. Just like the rockclimber the brain said lift 1200 pounds and he did.

[quote]samson77 wrote:
One thing that i have heard to do with the whole gorilla strength is not just nerves and muscle fibers but actually bones. See when you try to lift a real heavy amount your brain will stop you protecting itself from an injury and as anyone can tell gorilla’s have much larger bones so they are able to go a lot further before there brain stops them. Just like the rockclimber the brain said lift 1200 pounds and he did. [/quote]

I’ve heard about this: A fail safe mechanism to protect the body from injury involving large weight.