Where Does Estrogen Lurk?

I’ve virtually given up beer after learning how eostrogenic it is. Especially the extra-hoppy home-brew I had stored in plastic brewing bottles for months on end…

Red wine is my new friend - the friend I cannot see too often.

I never heat anything in plastic any more. I don’t use artificial fertilisers in the garden. I don’t use shampoo, and very little soap. I avoid anything scented. No more condoms with nonoxyl-9.

What else should we be avoiding to avoid xeno-hormones?

Does cold storage in plastic leech xeno-hormones into food and drink? Are some plastics better than others?

What about silicone cookware?

Any supplements that are particularly estrogenic?

Do synthetic fabrics pose an exposure risk?

Apologies if this thread has already been covered.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=461630

I hear women have a lot of estrogen. Best steer clear of them.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
I hear women have a lot of estrogen. Best steer clear of them.[/quote]

This place is full of comedians.

Want to bet?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CXH/is_4_25/ai_84926101

If you’re carrying any excess body fat, you would do your estrogen levels a favor by getting rid of it. Fat produces both estrogen and aromatase so getting rid of it is extremely helpful.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
I hear women have a lot of estrogen. Best steer clear of them.[/quote]

Hey when you look like this - that’s easier said than done!

[quote]happydog48 wrote:

Want to bet?

If you’re carrying any excess body fat, you would do your estrogen levels a favor by getting rid of it. Fat produces both estrogen and aromatase so getting rid of it is extremely helpful.

[/quote]

I’ve lost a fair bit of scale weight while putting on a reasonable amount of muscle over the last couple of years, still quite a bit to go. I will lose another 6kg by November, I’ve entered a PL comp and want to compete <90kg. I’ve been overweight pretty much all my life though, except briefly when I was about 12. I’ve ordered one of those Myo tapes so that I can get a good idea that I’m losing fat and not too much muscle.

Belly fat isn’t so much a problem as chest fat. All the men in my family appear to have that, even the slim ones. Mostly on the paternal side, but maternal as well. I’m pretty sure I had gynecomastia during puberty. I should see the doctor about all this.

Bummer about alcohol. I’m not a big drinker but I do enjoy a drink socially. I used to drink a LOT, and smoked pot too.

What about Kava? I quite enjoy Kava (even the taste) and it won’t contribute to body fat. It seems that everything good is chock full of eostrogen though!

[quote]Blacksnake wrote:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=461630 [/quote]

Thanks, seems I was on the right track.

[quote]happydog48 wrote:

Want to bet?

[/quote]

Interesting article happydog! I can’t seem to find reference in the article to exactly what they mean by “acute” or “chronic” alcohol exposure. I wonder if the rats exposed to the equivalent of ten drinks daily? 2 drinks? etc.

Chest fat:

Strongly suggests estrogen problems.

Alcohol, many drugs, SSRIs increase E by making demands on the P450 liver enzyme pathways that also responsible for clearing E from your blood. Grapefruit is famous for this effect. E makes you fat and fat makes aromatase that converts more T–>E.

The above items are more of a problem than the trace amounts of estrogenic chemicals released from plastics!!!

[quote]KSman wrote:
E makes you fat and fat makes aromatase that converts more T–>E.
[/quote]

A vicious circle it seems.

I suppose any amount of alcohol makes some impact on those enzyme pathways, right?

[quote]KSman wrote:
Alcohol, many drugs, SSRIs increase E by making demands on the P450 liver enzyme pathways that also responsible for clearing E from your blood. Grapefruit is famous for this effect. [/quote]

Interesting about the grapefruit. Years ago I heard someone make a connection between grapefruit consumption and prostrate issues. I thought he was a nutjob at the time. lol!

[quote]KSman wrote:
Chest fat:

Strongly suggests estrogen problems.

Alcohol, many drugs, SSRIs increase E by making demands on the P450 liver enzyme pathways that also responsible for clearing E from your blood. [/quote]

Any ways to boost/fortify the P450 enzymes you aware of?..

I do liver push-ups. Now my liver is nice and strong.

[quote]KSman wrote:
Alcohol, many drugs, SSRIs increase E by making demands on the P450 liver enzyme pathways that also responsible for clearing E from your blood. Grapefruit is famous for this effect. E makes you fat and fat makes aromatase that converts more T–>E.

The above items are more of a problem than the trace amounts of estrogenic chemicals released from plastics!!![/quote]

I got chest fat prior to becoming a drinker, but I did start drinking quite young and was a regular binge-drinker for many years. I smoked pot semi-regularly for a few years (16 - 21ish) but haven’t touched it in a long time.

Apart from that, I don’t take any drugs except for hayfever treatments, anti-histamines.

I don’t eat Grapefruit regularly, but do eat other citrus regularly.

There is a family history of prostate cancer.

I reckon it’s the grog. (But how will I be witty and charming if I’m not at least partly trollied?)

DragnCarry: you can also blame the THC.

Antihistamines and decongestants (vasodilators) work against erections and orgasms too. Orgasms require histamine.

I used to have allergies and heartburn. Then I got rid of grains, except for oats after workouts, and I no longer have need for antihistamines and decongestants. Sex is a lot better now!

Still need TRT though.

[quote]bigdawg011 wrote:
DragnCarry: you can also blame the THC.

Antihistamines and decongestants (vasodilators) work against erections and orgasms too. Orgasms require histamine.

I used to have allergies and heartburn. Then I got rid of grains, except for oats after workouts, and I no longer have need for antihistamines and decongestants. Sex is a lot better now!

Still need TRT though.[/quote]

I’ve never had any problem reaching climax or getting an erection on my first or second shag for the night - but I do want to stay this way forever!

Actually, now that you mention it, sex has been a lot better in the last couple of years since I stopped eating so much grain. I’ll have to see how I go this summer (it’s winter here now, don’t usually get hayfever in winter).