Where Do Your 1RMs Stack Up?

I was wondering what people thought about the standard 1RMs listed in these tables. Too high? Too low? Either way, cool idea relating one’s body weight to the standard 1RM for these main lifts.

–Just click into any of the five lifts to see the standard 1RM for a given body weight.

*ExRx.net is a recommended resource in the ACSM’s Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (pgs 224, 349).

I am round about Novice in every one of these yet I rarely see anyone in my gym lift more with correct form.

This is similar to the Decent standards that were in Tim’s article the other week. Many people were ripping on him for the Decent being too low but it really does depend on who you are comparing to.

Those figures are WAY too low…

I’m definitely not bragging, I am saying that whilst that table shows me as nudging (or firmly within) “elite” in all lifts (except squat), I know that I absolutely DO NOT deserve that status.

Uh-huh. A site about 1RMs provided through the ASCM. On a bodybuilding forum.

Not to be trolling, but you’re probably not going to get many serious responses.

That being said, I’m in the “Herculean” category for all my lifts.

i can reverse preacher curl 110, thats the only 1RM i know.

It seems to me like these tables expect too low an increase of strength given an increase in bodyweight. As in it would be easier to achieve the ‘elie standard’ in the higher weight classes

the numbers are definitely too low

I think our perspective of “elite” as members of the iron community with (hopefully) lofty goals of size and strength might skew our views of this chart. I would guess most people on this board would look at the “advanced” numbers and think “well that’s like… someone who finally started eating and lifting properly for a year or 2” but compared to the general population it actually is advanced. Kinda sad =/

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

I’m definitely not bragging, I am saying that whilst that table shows me as nudging (or firmly within) “elite” in all lifts (except squat), I know that I absolutely DO NOT deserve that status.

[/quote]

I agree. Most of my lifts besides squat as well are almost elite. I have so much more work to do. When I can total 2000 pounds I’ll consider myself elite and I’m shooting for more than that…

Strength Sports section

im intermediate/advanced.

thats complete balls. im about 30% bf aswell… when i lean down a bit id be in the elite/advanced category. that would be even funnier.

Scott

This is for normal people. Most people don’t consider it normal to try and find a 1RM for an exercise like Military press. Most normal people are as weak as piss.

Yeah, those were my thoughts as well. I consider myself a novice/intermediate lifter. These charts put me in advanced/elite.

I love the concept of the charts though. Does anyone know of anything similar that is more for the ‘lifting’ type of person.

I just like to rank myself compared to others to see where I need the most work and such. Cool idea anyway.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

[/quote]

Ditto here.

Those figure were made for … well I don’t know. I want to say they were made for normal people, but I dunno.

[quote]jstirto wrote:

I love the concept of the charts though. Does anyone know of anything similar that is more for the ‘lifting’ type of person.

[/quote]

Powerlifting USA’s top 100 lists.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:

[/quote]

I’m above intermediate at all the lifts at around 181 pounds. Sad considering I’m 15 (almost 16 though).

I bodybuild, so I don’t really worry about what my 1RM is. Due to the possibility of getting injured.

These charts will no dount start a similar argument as the ‘max lean body weight’ tables and formulas - and no doubt the same arguments will pop up again here. That is - the charts ARE a decent way for a genetically average person to guage their progress and level of progression (as well has having some tough long-term goals to aim for). You will find some ‘freaks’ who are at the advanced level with no training - but that is not typical!

So, if you start saying ‘doh these charts are for pussies’, then you’re not an average trainer. If you’re taking pharmaceutical agents then again it’s obvious the strength levels would be higher. Please post some serious new guidelines that you think the levels should be at, I’d be interested to know (I’m currently on advanced weights on squat and deads).

Yeah the mass body index considers me obese:class 1. WTF?

I didn’t mean BMI - I was talking about the maximum drug free lean mass formula that is ‘said’ to calculate lean muscle maximums based on bone structure. Just like the strength charts, people will dispute it, but for ‘many’ genertic norms, it is worth using. Also think posters on here should say if they are drug free when answering post like these, because it makes a difference to the answer.