T Nation

Where Do You Train?

I was wondering where you guys train at. I train at a Fitness Connection on the south side of Houston TX. I like it because the monthly dues are CHEAP and they have a daycare facility. However, as of late, I’ve been training EARLY so I don’t have to share the gym with people not as serious as I. You know the ones that sip their monster drinks and mostly take up space.

For the longest time I’ve done my training at home. But I just found out that the gym in town will reimburse the entry fee for a powerlifting meet next month so, I joined up for three months. Pretty good deal since the entry fee is 50 bucks.

I workout at Club Phoenix in downtown Victoria. I like this gym because it has lots of space. It’s a little prepie but most of them are and there are some serious builders there as well. Mainly because they have what I need and that’s what it all comes down to.

Usually I train at a 24/7 Fitness Center. Never closes. Members range from the cardio crowd to some serious bodybuilders. Not many powerlifters. Has most of the usual weights and machines but nothing for OL. Occasionally I lift at a local college where I also throw.

I train at home. I’ve got a power cage, a bunch of plates, a couple of bars, db’s from 5 to 70 in 5# increments, and a bunch of other stuff.

It’s great. I work from home so I can run in there and work out during the day before lunch.

The problem is in our current house, the only room I had open for the gym is an upstairs room over the garage so I’m afraid I’m going to fail on a heavy deadlift and end up on top of my truck. It was great when we were in Pennsylvania because the gym was in my basement and in our last place in California, we converted part of the garage to a gym.

I’ve basically been training at home for almost 7 years now with a few months here and there at gyms when we were between houses during moves.

Gym Garagio.

Power cage , plates bars DBs and bands and some odd grip tools all in me garage. I work from home as well.

Take a call, do some squats. Code a little. Pull some DLs. Design a webpage, do some pullups.

I like to pop out to a commercial gym now and again to see what folks are doing in chrome and fern land, though.

I currently train at the “Wellness Center” my company provides. A great setup and not heavily used.

I want to setup my basement with a power rack and full weights so that I can train with my son.

AAAWWWW Man! I hate to admit I am training at a “soccer mom” gym. 600 sqft with a bench, smith machine, a whole bunch of plates and dumbells, a big universal “jungle gym” and a couple of other machines.

The pro’s are it is on the way to work, open 24/7 so I can make some lifts in early in the morning, and the 3 early morning elementary school teachers.

The cons are no real weightlifters. I sure miss working out with folks motivated the same as I.

My basement. Dark and dirty, the plates are rusting, and no one fucking bothers me. It’s like Apollo’s gym in Rocky III.

I don’t ever want to train somewhere nice. Makes you soft.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
My basement. Dark and dirty, the plates are rusting, and no one fucking bothers me. It’s like Apollo’s gym in Rocky III.

I don’t ever want to train somewhere nice. Makes you soft.[/quote]

Exactly.

www.backstreetgym.com/home.htm

not cheep but 2nd to none, the bucket to puke in is shiny but rite there by the power rack…

In my nice basement home-gym.

2 Oly sets
Power rack
Standard barbell and plates
Powertec Squat unit
Lat machine
Hyperextension unit
Leg ext/curl unit
Plate tree
Adjustable bench
Various dumbbells

I think I’m set for life. :wink:

[quote]mudpro69 wrote:
I was wondering where you guys train at. I train at a Fitness Connection on the south side of Houston TX. I like it because the monthly dues are CHEAP and they have a daycare facility. However, as of late, I’ve been training EARLY so I don’t have to share the gym with people not as serious as I. You know the ones that sip their monster drinks and mostly take up space.[/quote]

If you ever get sick of commercial land, I run a garage gym about 5-10 minutes from there (if you are talking the one by Fuqua).

Power rack w/monolift, glute ham, reverse hyper, safety squat bar, fat bar, maddog squat bar, Tx power bar, over 2000lbs plates and db’s to 95. We are hoping to pick up an Okie deadlift bar and giant cambered bar pretty soon. There’s more, but too much to remember everything.

There are pictures of it in my profile.

Super Training Gym in Sacramento CA: http://www.supertraininggym.com

About half of us are over 35.

The sport and recreation centre at the university here where I also work. Fees are salary packaged so that is cool, works out at less than $6/week after tax. Also it is only 150metres from my office, has an excellent heated pool as well that I’ll make use of once the weather gets cooler (coming into winter downunder).

Good set up with out being great, Couple of squat racks, 3 benches, every thing else you could want. Doesn’t get too crowded apart from the peak times which I avoid. Often lots of PYT’s to keep my eyes occupied between sets.

PYT = Pretty Young Thing? :wink:

[quote] Matt wrote:
If you ever get sick of commercial land, I run a garage gym about 5-10 minutes from there (if you are talking the one by Fuqua).

Power rack w/monolift, glute ham, reverse hyper, safety squat bar, fat bar, maddog squat bar, Tx power bar, over 2000lbs plates and db’s to 95. We are hoping to pick up an Okie deadlift bar and giant cambered bar pretty soon. There’s more, but too much to remember everything.

There are pictures of it in my profile.
[/quote]

Hell, I want to train at Matt’s gym! Too bad I am at least a thousand miles away!!!

During the Winter months I train at Gold’s Gym Mountain View California; however, during warm weather months I train outside in my yard. Right now I’ve got a squat rack, bench, dip apparatus, sled, regular barbell and 500 pounds of weight. I am in the market to buy a bumper set and erect a chinup station. I would love to get a reverse hyper.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I would love to get a reverse hyper.
[/quote]

Into DIY?
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1132144&pageNo=1

also go to page 6 if you’re really ambitious

I train at home in the utility room which is groud level with a cement floor. Power rack with chinup/pullup bar and dip attachment, 400lb plates, dumbells 20-90 in 10lb increments, super bench (great adjustable bench).

[quote]hel320 wrote:
entheogens wrote:
I would love to get a reverse hyper.

Into DIY?
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1132144&pageNo=1

also go to page 6 if you’re really ambitious[/quote]

That thread is fantastic, and there are some really brilliant, innovative ideas there, but I SUCK at craft work, so making my own is out of the question.