Where Do You Go to Get Your News?

I listen to the news/talk radio when I drive. Fittingly, I have NPR on the first button on the left, and WMAL on the last button on the right. WMAL has commercials so I bounce back to NPR during those. So I listen to the two most extreme viewpoints. Although I agree with Michael Savage and Mark Levin the most.

Internet news is the drudge report.

John and Ken on KFI, who are local talk radio guys who are equal opportunity haters. They hate Dems and Republicans equally.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
If you must watch a network, watch CNN. It’s fairly moderate
[/quote]

lol…[/quote]

Compared to MSNBC and Fox?[/quote]

I guess… I don’t regularly watch any of them. [/quote]

Yes, compared to MSNBC and Fox. I watch all three. It’s probably 60:40 “liberal” to “conservative”. [/quote]

Agreed that CNN sucks the least as far as trying to actually not spin everything in one direction or another.

The most egregious bias is in what goes unreported IMO. [/quote]

I watched about 5 minutes of O’Reilly last night and about threw up, switched over to Anderson Cooper and was pleasantly surprised.

You gotta watch the Kelly files though. That Megyn Kelly, so fine, want to touch the hinny, owwwwwwwwwuhhhhh!

I don’t know wtf this website is, but the clip was from last night. I thought it was interesting.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/megyn-kelly-grills-wasserman-schultz-over-abortion-lacking-new-face-in-2016/

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Most people only receive news that fits their “worldview” anyway. Just look at all the links submitted to the PWI forum as an example.

Besides, news is different than commentary which is what most “news” has become. I don’t care about commentary precisely because it is biased toward a point of view.

I can remain willfully ignorant of some blowhard’s opinion and still be informed of the facts.

I rejoice that the information age has made it easier for me to get whatever information I want.

[/quote]

This is part two of my “what wrong with America right now,” rant. I’m a Facebook enthusiast, but it is the best example. As you “like” things on FB it begins to tailor the feeds to that. So, if you like some rightwing talking head’s post, even if you are more of a moderate, FB is going to keep feeding you more rightwing stuff. As you “like” more posts, now in a narrower vein, it narrows the feed more and more to focus on just stuff you’ll “like.” What happens? You stop receiving anything that opposes your view, and the likely outcome is that you’ll become more and more conservative. Big deal right?

Why is this bad? It eliminates any chance for discourse or debate. Our social media habits, if they haven’t already, effect our real life. If a myopic worldview becomes the “norm” because we can no longer stomach an opposing viewpoint how can a country who’s system of government that is run on compromise between two opposing parities get anything done? The elected officials are in a continuous state of “running for office” so they need to listen to their constituents or run the risk of being “primaried.” If their constituents oppose any compromise, because their side is the “right side” no matter what, then you have things like “shutdowns” and self imposed sequestrations (that no one thought we’d ever let happen when they bill was passed)because no one is willing to compromise or even come to the table.

If the current government/voters effectively run the country, how long before someone we throw out the constitution and let someone else run it for us?

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Most people only receive news that fits their “worldview” anyway. Just look at all the links submitted to the PWI forum as an example.

Besides, news is different than commentary which is what most “news” has become. I don’t care about commentary precisely because it is biased toward a point of view.

I can remain willfully ignorant of some blowhard’s opinion and still be informed of the facts.

I rejoice that the information age has made it easier for me to get whatever information I want.

[/quote]

This is part two of my “what wrong with America right now,” rant. I’m a Facebook enthusiast, but it is the best example. As you “like” things on FB it begins to tailor the feeds to that. So, if you like some rightwing talking head’s post, even if you are more of a moderate, FB is going to keep feeding you more rightwing stuff. As you “like” more posts, now in a narrower vein, it narrows the feed more and more to focus on just stuff you’ll “like.” What happens? You stop receiving anything that opposes your view, and the likely outcome is that you’ll become more and more conservative. Big deal right? [/quote]

The people we associate with don’t necessarily have our views and they offer their own bias. As our network grows more opportunities to be exposed to new biases increases. As to how people edit what information they will receive it is no different than how they do it with television viewing or newspaper subscriptions - the difference is we have many more choices with internet technologies.

I’m not convinced that the problems inherent in government can be blamed on the ignorance of a voting popuace - especially when the system is designed to keep people ignorant in the first place. Are there really only two political opinions that matter? the R version or the D version? The establishment media institutions prop up this narrative in the first place. Thankfully, it starts to fall apart as people learn how to use an Internet search engine.

Besides all of this, self imposed ignorance of politics is the norm. Most people don’t want to be involved in government because they are distrustful of it.

Do you actually think the current government is in anyway constitutional? The document that was supposed to protect us from government has become the government’s tool to empower itself against us. Everything they do is “constitutional” because they said so.

I get all of my news from The Onion. It’s just as accurate and unbiased as any of the other Newzak sources.

And if ever there was an exemplar of Chaucer’s dictum that “many a truth is oft spoke in jest”, The Onion is it.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
I get all of my news from The Onion. It’s just as accurate and unbiased as any of the other Newzak sources.

And if ever there was an exemplar of Chaucer’s dictum that “many a truth is oft spoke in jest”, The Onion is it.
[/quote]

If you check out the reddit’s subreddit Nottheonion it has pretty good stuff that’s true.

Primary news source is the Washington Post. Some of that has to do with habit and growing up in DC and living in DC. I do not appreciate its warmongering editorial board. NYT seems to be of higher quality but I usually read the WaPo more than anything else.

I read stuff from the WSJ a fair amount too but not daily. No subscription anymore but it’s very easy to get around the pay-wall and I also use my GFs work account. That’s about it with regards to papers (digital versions) as there is a huge decline in quality and depth with pretty much every other paper (not including magazines here) in the USA.

I also listen to BBC World radio all the time during my commute and other driving. This is very good.

A lot of the times I just do a google news search for a topic I’m interested in (as simple as doing a news search for “Yemen” for example). This leads to a lot of Reuters and AP material. Other sources I enjoy are articles from The Economist, Politico, Foreign Policy, and The Guardian.

Almost all televised news is garbage IMO and I watch almost none of it anymore. CNN is moderate relative to Fox or MSNBC but it’s still a crappy source of news and I also find it too boring and simple. I like depth in my news and TV news does not provide it.

Breitbart and Drudge report for the most part. I also listen to 810 wgy talk radio. They play Rush and Michael Berry, whom I enjoy.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

I think that one of the biggest issues in the “what’s wrong with America” bucket is that we are becoming a “low information voter block.” What is sold as news is heavily slanted towards one agenda or another. On Fox News conservatives are the hero of every story. Meanwhile, MSNBC is still debating who cool Obama is and how rotten anyone who doesn’t follow the left is. Neither offers a complete story and usually the closest you go get is one of the “debate” segments where the panel is stacked 3 to 1 or better in favor of an agenda.

The news is slanted to those who own it (corporations). It amplifies there objectives and if they are more aligned with the left or the right that is who will come out on top.

The Real news survives on donations not corporate advertising dollars so they are not influenced by that.

So, a serious question, where do you go to get actual information to make an informed decision either on politics or on general current affairs? [/quote]

I watch Comedy Central for my News…(daily show)
And Fox News for my Comedy !

any questions ?

Alex Jones

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
I watch Comedy Central for my News…(daily show)
And Fox News for my Comedy !

any questions ?[/quote]

You seem to be on the right trajectory.

thanks Zepplin795 !

I also read the WSJ and watch BBC when I can. the BBC gives me an out of country perspective on things as well.
Wish more people who watch ANY news source would be more open and willing to take in a different point of view.

Well Pushharder, even though we are on the opposite side of the political spectrum, I being a social libertarian, fiscal conservative and you just being a little more conservative…I do take what you have to say seriously. I listen to those that i may not agree with, learn from them and then see where we may have some common ground.

It is sometime much easier to see what we have in COMMON, then all the things that make us different !
This is a lesson that I believe I learned from CT or Tate or TC. That when discussing different training methodologies,
we need to find the common ground first, since usually there will be less ground to cover.

I grew up in Chicago and my parent read both the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times.
Opposite sides of the chicago political spectrum but it gave us both views. I still do this today on line.

Hope that this answered your question. I may not always agree with you pushharder, or CountingBeans or Vanaquir,
but i will always respect you for your beliefs and opinions that you carry…

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
Well Pushharder, even though we are on the opposite side of the political spectrum, I being a social libertarian, fiscal conservative and you just being a little more conservative…I do take what you have to say seriously. I listen to those that i may not agree with, learn from them and then see where we may have some common ground.

It is sometime much easier to see what we have in COMMON, then all the things that make us different !
This is a lesson that I believe I learned from CT or Tate or TC. That when discussing different training methodologies,
we need to find the common ground first, since usually there will be less ground to cover.

I grew up in Chicago and my parent read both the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times.
Opposite sides of the chicago political spectrum but it gave us both views. I still do this today on line.

Hope that this answered your question. I may not always agree with you pushharder, or CountingBeans or Vanaquir,
but i will always respect you for your beliefs and opinions that you carry…[/quote]

None of this answered Push’s question.

[quote]NorCal916 wrote:
Alex Jones[/quote]

Fucking A man. Kill the globalists.