Where Do You Go to Get Your News?

I think that one of the biggest issues in the “what’s wrong with America” bucket is that we are becoming a “low information voter block.” What is sold as news is heavily slanted towards one agenda or another. On Fox News conservatives are the hero of every story. Meanwhile, MSNBC is still debating who cool Obama is and how rotten anyone who doesn’t follow the left is. Neither offers a complete story and usually the closest you go get is one of the “debate” segments where the panel is stacked 3 to 1 or better in favor of an agenda.

So, a serious question, where do you go to get actual information to make an informed decision either on politics or on general current affairs?

This is my go-to news feed
http://ace.mu.nu/

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

I think that one of the biggest issues in the “what’s wrong with America” bucket is that we are becoming a “low information voter block.” What is sold as news is heavily slanted towards one agenda or another. On Fox News conservatives are the hero of every story. Meanwhile, MSNBC is still debating who cool Obama is and how rotten anyone who doesn’t follow the left is. Neither offers a complete story and usually the closest you go get is one of the “debate” segments where the panel is stacked 3 to 1 or better in favor of an agenda.

So, a serious question, where do you go to get actual information to make an informed decision either on politics or on general current affairs? [/quote]

If you must watch a network, watch CNN. It’s fairly moderate

The Washington Post - for domestic and beltway affairs

Foreign Affairs - for American foreign policy analysis and global affairs

Reuters/AP

[quote]Bismark wrote:
[/quote]

lol…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
[/quote]

lol…[/quote]

Compared to MSNBC and Fox?

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
[/quote]

lol…[/quote]

Compared to MSNBC and Fox?[/quote]

I guess… I don’t regularly watch any of them.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
[/quote]

lol…[/quote]

I guess… I don’t regularly watch any of them. [/quote]

Yes, compared to MSNBC and Fox. I watch all three. It’s probably 60:40 “liberal” to “conservative”.

[quote]Bismark wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
[/quote]

lol…[/quote]

Yes, compared to MSNBC and Fox. I watch all three. It’s probably 60:40 “liberal” to “conservative”. [/quote]

Noted. I thought you mean’t in general.

Facebook, Twitter, Reddit

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Facebook, Twitter, Reddit[/quote]

The problem with this, and I actually get a lot of my news from FB, is that the information is tailored to what FB thinks you like, based on what you actually liked. So, the better it gets at that goal, the less info you get from sources outside of your worldview.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

The problem with this, and I actually get a lot of my news from FB, is that the information is tailored to what FB thinks you like, based on what you actually liked. So, the better it gets at that goal, the less info you get from sources outside of your worldview. [/quote]
I think he was joking…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

The problem with this, and I actually get a lot of my news from FB, is that the information is tailored to what FB thinks you like, based on what you actually liked. So, the better it gets at that goal, the less info you get from sources outside of your worldview. [/quote]
I think he was joking…[/quote]

People list FB and the daily show as news sources. Maybe he was, maybe not.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

People list FB and the daily show as news sources. Maybe he was, maybe not. [/quote]

Hey, I could be wrong.

[quote]Bismark wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Bismark wrote:
[/quote]

lol…[/quote]

Yes, compared to MSNBC and Fox. I watch all three. It’s probably 60:40 “liberal” to “conservative”. [/quote]

Agreed that CNN sucks the least as far as trying to actually not spin everything in one direction or another.

The most egregious bias is in what goes unreported IMO.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

People list FB and the daily show as news sources. Maybe he was, maybe not. [/quote]

Hey, I could be wrong. [/quote]

Don’t know if he was kidding or not, but, reading his posts, one does pick up a stronger whiff of Twitter-rant than broadsheet. I would not, in fact, be able to definitely call it a joke even if he had added haruspicy to the list.

Honestly I go to realclearpolitics a lot and read articles that interest me. I don’t mind reading biased sources because the bias is obvious if you have any sort of education. I like to know how the left is going to attack say Rand Paul and what the right thinks of Elizabeth Warren.

It is so difficult to find unbiased stuff that I don’t even attempt it that much. I’ll read everything from Salon to the National Review. Most of political reading is entertaining anyways to me. I don’t take a whole lot of it that seriously as it is two sides and two parties attempting to spin everything in a positive manner. Considering I find Democrats and Republicans both filth it’s more entertainment for me than anything.

[quote]H factor wrote:
Honestly I go to realclearpolitics a lot and read articles that interest me. I don’t mind reading biased sources because the bias is obvious if you have any sort of education. I like to know how the left is going to attack say Rand Paul and what the right thinks of Elizabeth Warren.

It is so difficult to find unbiased stuff that I don’t even attempt it that much. I’ll read everything from Salon to the National Review. Most of political reading is entertaining anyways to me. I don’t take a whole lot of it that seriously as it is two sides and two parties attempting to spin everything in a positive manner. Considering I find Democrats and Republicans both filth it’s more entertainment for me than anything. [/quote]

This is basically me.

[quote]TheKraken wrote:

Most people only receive news that fits their “worldview” anyway. Just look at all the links submitted to the PWI forum as an example.

Besides, news is different than commentary which is what most “news” has become. I don’t care about commentary precisely because it is biased toward a point of view.

I can remain willfully ignorant of some blowhard’s opinion and still be informed of the facts.

I rejoice that the information age has made it easier for me to get whatever information I want.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:Most people only receive news that fits their “worldview” anyway. Just look at all the links submitted to the PWI forum as an example.
[/quote]

This is true. I have a friend who complains about liberal bias (won’t read Time, watch CNN, etc times a million) in the media but ONLY consumes media with a hard Republican bias.

Makes absolutely zero sense to me. “I want my bias with a steady dose of what I already want to be true!”