Where Do You Find the Motivation?

[quote]sen say wrote:
Here’s what keeps me motivated…last Saturday my mom called me because my old man was trying to take down an old swingset in their backyard…they’re getting ready to move and it’s one of the things the buyers wanted done…she asked me to come over and help…he’d been at it about an hour with screwdrivers and wrenches and shit and hadn’t gotten very far…I told him to go inside and I’d take care of it…I tipped the swing set on its side and beat the hell out of it with my sledgehammer…30 minutes later it was in 4 foot sections at his curb waiting for the trashmen.

About 6 months ago I was doing some work on my mother-in-law’s deck. She Says brother was ‘helping’ me. We had to rip out some old boards and replace them with new ones. We each had a crowbar. I pulled up all the boards after he determined he was physically unable to pry one up. He is about 8 years older than me (48 compared to my 40), but I don’t see me wussing out at 48.

[/quote]

QFT.

As you age your motivation changes, but the internal fire never leaves. Sounds like the OP is in a rut and just needs to get inspired by something.

I have always lifted or ran because it is the best stress reliever I have ever found. If I didnt do this stuff I would end up in jail for killing stupid people.

Otherwise I will just keep doing deadlifts.

lifting weights keeps me out of prison. it’s that simple.

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
lifting weights keeps me out of prison. it’s that simple. [/quote]

Lol Meat I said the same thing before this. :slight_smile:

Get to a gym with people who are passionate, or get in with a crew who are passionate at a local gym. My total has gone up 50lbs while my bodyweight has dropped 20 in the last 2 months because I started training with dedicated insanely strong and knowledgeable powerlifters. Every day I get to train with record holding powerlifters and it gets me going every time even if I’m hurting or tired or didn’t even want to go to the gym that day.

Finding people with the fire going strong helps a hell of a lot towards getting you going, everyone loses motivation sometimes and good training partners can kick start the shit out of your iron ambition. Good luck man, when you’re ready to go back to it the weights will still be there and the rewards will still be awesome.

I actually know for a near fact that lifting has kept me out of prison…

‘Nah Pete, stay out with us… we are going to tear it up tonight’

‘Sorry guys, gotta lift in the morning’

stupid fuckers. course had to go visit them

[quote]PeteS wrote:

stupid fuckers. course had to go visit them[/quote]

for me it’s more mental than anything. i’ve always had a short fuse, especially when driving. after a hard training session i could have every person on the road cut me off and then shoot me the bird and i’ll just smile and go on my way. It’s like natural prozac for me.

i get what you are saying though. i have quit a few buddies in prison right now. sometimes it’s just better to go home.

I am motivated alot by the fact that 95% of the people who are born with my list of birth defects all die before the age of 2. They installed a pacemaker to “hopefully” correct my congenital heart defect.

I “train” therefore I am because I am not promised tomorrow.
<— I “train” because of them my awesome kids in the waqgon.

I am a PT (personal trainer) because I have a passion to help people to become fitter and stronger ( in all facets of life)

Ps: Real life story here; I get told all the time if only I had your genetics hahahahahahahaha seriously! I then go on to tell them about some of my differences between me and a normal person and you should see their eyes widen and mouth drop…

PPS:I honestly just like the feel of being pushed to %100 percent doing something physical especially with heavy weights

For me its about the discipline of the whole thing. It appeals to me because it is hard to do and not everyone can make them selfs do it. I find it helps to set a goal for the year and go after it. Maybe its power lifting, maybe it is semi-pro football or MMA. Right now I am dieting and trying to get to single digit body fat just because I have never done it before.

Yeah it’s the hard that makes it worth it to me…

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I think you could really benefit from some classes in boosting self-esteem.[/quote]

I agree…but me…I’m just gonna keep deadlifting…

All good points…I also second the guys (and gals) that said something like “it’s just part of who I am”.

I got my first weight set when I was 14. Red, white and blue weights from Sears I think. Plastic things filled with sand. My brother and I lifted (basically benched) every day. We upgraded to an Olympic bench and weights a couple years later. With the exception of about 5 years when I had 2 kids under 4, a 50 hour week job, side job on Saturday and was going to night school for my MBA I’ve always lifted. I may take off a couple months to get drunk and bang She Say’s hot friends, but I know I’ll be back sooner or later.

And another thing…this site and the people on it motivate me. Reading my not-so-secret admirer’s Kpsnap’s log gets my fat ass down to the gym every day.

Oh yeah…one other great motivator is reading your dip-shit friend’s posts on gayface…i mean facebook. Any time I see “starting XP90 tomorrow” I tear up the weights something fierce!

[quote]PeteS wrote:

stupid fuckers. course had to go visit them[/quote]

for me it’s more mental than anything. i’ve always had a short fuse, especially when driving. after a hard training session i could have every person on the road cut me off and then shoot me the bird and i’ll just smile and go on my way. It’s like natural prozac for me.

i get what you are saying though. i have quit a few buddies in prison right now. sometimes it’s just better to go home.
[/quote]

yeah, I get that part too. as I stated somewhere above without it I am even more of an asshole. and that is saying a lot, lol…

[quote]sen say wrote:

[quote]kpsnap wrote:
I think you could really benefit from some classes in boosting self-esteem.[/quote]

I agree…but me…I’m just gonna keep deadlifting…[/quote]

Can I get an Amen

Where Do You Find the Motivation?

From the souls of damned.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Can I get an Amen [/quote]

amen, Amen, AMEN !!

I find motivation in noticing the changes in my body/strength levels.

Today I was able to push up more incline presses with the same weight than I was on Tuesday. This probably isn’t because I’m tons stronger, but it feels good.

Today I also noticed my bicep looked HYOOOOGE.

Gotta take the little things.