Where Do You Buy Your Ammo?

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
I’ve never tried it, but I’ve read that you can grind up the tips of match-heads for primer (maybe should be careful with “grinding”, though :slight_smile: ), and the rest of the matchheads for powder. The performance isn’t as good as commercial stuff and it is corrosive, but it would function as powder and primer in a pinch. [/quote]

Maybe if I was Capt. Kirk with no phaser and a large lizard captain of another ship was chasing my ass with ill intentions.

But, if that’s not the case I dunno who would rely on that method in a modern firearm. Don’t even know if it’d work and if it did spark something I imagine would be highly dangerous.

Primer, powder, case, bullet, and firearm, are a very tricky sequence and if one component is off the results could be disastrous.

D

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
Therizza wrote:
Wal-Mart? Wolf’s always cheap, and decent too

wolf is pretty messy though. and prone to malfunctions.

have you shot a lot of it? i’ve always tried to stay away from wolf[/quote]

Yes, their 45 ACP is pretty good imo.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
tGunslinger wrote:
I’ve never tried it, but I’ve read that you can grind up the tips of match-heads for primer (maybe should be careful with “grinding”, though :slight_smile: ), and the rest of the matchheads for powder. The performance isn’t as good as commercial stuff and it is corrosive, but it would function as powder and primer in a pinch.

Maybe if I was Capt. Kirk with no phaser and a large lizard captain of another ship was chasing my ass with ill intentions.

But, if that’s not the case I dunno who would rely on that method in a modern firearm. Don’t even know if it’d work and if it did spark something I imagine would be highly dangerous.

Primer, powder, case, bullet, and firearm, are a very tricky sequence and if one component is off the results could be disastrous.

D [/quote]

That’s why I’ve never tried it. :smiley:

But I think it’s a nice bit of knowledge to keep in your back pocket, especially with the scarcity of ammo and ammo parts.

Or, you could just steal it from your local sheriff (j/k of course, but this article made me say “What?”)

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
Therizza wrote:
Wal-Mart? Wolf’s always cheap, and decent too

wolf is pretty messy though. and prone to malfunctions.

have you shot a lot of it? i’ve always tried to stay away from wolf[/quote]

I have shot a lot of steel cased wolf. It is dirtier than other ammo and smells funny but is not anymore prone to malfunctions than brass cased ammo.

The problem is that wolf ammo has steel cases (used to be lacquer coated but they are all now polymer coated and have been for a few years). The steel used is softer steel, softer than the extractor or barrel of the typical rifle. The steel doesn’t expand as much as brass does. If you are going to shoot brass and steel cased wolf in the same range session, shoot the wolf last. This is because the brass will expand and “seal” the chamber. Steel casings don’t expand as much and there is some blowback that gets back into the chamber. If you shoot brass AFTER steel, there is a chance the brass will get stuck in the chamber because of the blown back carbon.

I have never had a problem with wolf ammo. I also run a boresnake down the barrel at the end of the shooting session to make it a little easier to clean when I get home.

Of course, I started reloading my own ammo and don’t buy wolf or any other brand unless I buy ammo from friends who need the money

Read this:
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

Like others have said, reloading is the way to go. I would suggest going to www.midwayusa.com . You can go ultra fancy and get name brand loading equipment from like RCBS or some thing but to be honest Lee reloaders work fine and cost a lot less, alto I do highly recommend getting your dies from Hornaday.

Oh and always save your brass when ever you go shooting and even ask others if you can have theirs if they are not picking it up, even if its not a caliber you use it can be sold. Hell I have around 500-600 9mm cases for when I decide to buy one or sell them.

And I personally recommend lead non-jacketed bullets if your just target shooting (Unless you have a glock that is). I would rather clean my gun than spend out the ass to continue one of my favorite hobbies.

And if you don’t want to reload… buy a 22 lol, they are still relatively cheep to buy ammo for. You can buy a box of 500 22 for around 20 bucks.

can you cast frangible ammo? just curious if anyone knew.

Also, with regards to .22 LR, you can usually get uppers for m16/m4s and shoot 22 out of em if you are really cheap. 223 is pretty pricey aint it?

[quote]Therizza wrote:

Also, with regards to .22 LR, you can usually get uppers for m16/m4s and shoot 22 out of em if you are really cheap. 223 is pretty pricey aint it?[/quote]

.22 LR is cheap as hell 500rds for $25, as far as 223, I saw it at the gun shop something like $1 a round slightly less if you buy in big bulk.

I can reload 1k of .223 55gr FMJ for about $200.

Brass = free because I save it or people give it to me
4 lbs of powder = $65 (1/2 of a $130 8lb jug)
Primers = $35
1k 55 gr FMJ = $90

Ok, so that is $180. That is putting no price on my time. If the brass is ready to go, it will take me 2-3 hours to reload 1k.

[quote]blake b wrote:

Primers = $35
1k 55 gr FMJ = $90

Ok, so that is $180. That is putting no price on my time. If the brass is ready to go, it will take me 2-3 hours to reload 1k. [/quote]

Dayum, how much did you pay for your re-loader?

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
blake b wrote:

Primers = $35
1k 55 gr FMJ = $90

Ok, so that is $180. That is putting no price on my time. If the brass is ready to go, it will take me 2-3 hours to reload 1k.

Dayum, how much did you pay for your re-loader?[/quote]

I received it for Christmas a couple years ago. It was $395 (I picked it out). I probably have around $1000 in reloading equipment (press, multiple heads with dies for press, powered trimmer, misc tools for brass prep, tumbler, etc) now (including the press). However, I have reloaded enough ammo that it has paid for itself as I reload .40, 9mm, and 223. I am going to start reloading 10mm and 308 as well. In all honesty, you won’t save money by reloading, you will just shoot more. Reloading can become a hobby in and of itself.

[quote]dday wrote:
Therizza wrote:

Also, with regards to .22 LR, you can usually get uppers for m16/m4s and shoot 22 out of em if you are really cheap. 223 is pretty pricey aint it?

.22 LR is cheap as hell 500rds for $25, as far as 223, I saw it at the gun shop something like $1 a round slightly less if you buy in big bulk.[/quote]

40 cents a round here in bulk. You fellows really need to reload if the prices are that high.