Where Do These Lifts Fit?

I must admit, T-Nation has changed the way I think about training. I used to train to M&F standards, believing Weider as gospel. Through this sight, I have been introduced to the concept of ‘Powerbuilding’, GPP, combat conditioning and ‘the Tactical Athelete’. I am sold.
I would soon like to incorporate some lifts that aren’t traditional in a bodybuilding routine. These lifts don’t focus on a muscle group, rather, the body as a unit. Pseudo olympic lifts(?) , compound lifts(?), I don’t quite know how to classify them, or how the fit in my program.
Power Clean
Clean and Press
Overhead Squat
Bear Complex
Currently, I am doing a full body workout 3-4 times weekly. I will be be doing a split program starting October.
Would it be best to do these early in a workout, before squats and deadlifts?
Do they replace them? In a split program, what would be the best way to group them, both muscle groups and other lifts?

Just do it.

Reevaluate, then do it some more.

[quote]combatmedic wrote:
I must admit, T-Nation has changed the way I think about training. I used to train to M&F standards, believing Weider as gospel. Through this sight, I have been introduced to the concept of ‘Powerbuilding’, GPP, combat conditioning and ‘the Tactical Athelete’. I am sold.
I would soon like to incorporate some lifts that aren’t traditional in a bodybuilding routine. These lifts don’t focus on a muscle group, rather, the body as a unit. Pseudo olympic lifts(?) , compound lifts(?), I don’t quite know how to classify them, or how the fit in my program.
Power Clean
Clean and Press
Overhead Squat
Bear Complex
Currently, I am doing a full body workout 3-4 times weekly. I will be be doing a split program starting October.
Would it be best to do these early in a workout, before squats and deadlifts?
Do they replace them? In a split program, what would be the best way to group them, both muscle groups and other lifts? [/quote]

Like conorh said, just do 'em…then adjust to see what works best for you. But in general, do the power clean, clean and press, and overhead squat early in your workout, (not necessarily all on the same day). When going to a split routine, do the power clean on a lower body day or on a hip dominant day. The clean and press is hard to fit in in a split routine but could be done if you pair hip dominant day w/ upper body pressing movements.

Hope that helps,

Danny

Hmm, 4 full body lifts, and you train 3-4 times each week. Why not simply start each day with 1 of those moves. They definitely deserve top billing, since they’ll most likely be the most difficult moves of the workout. Depending on what kind fo split you use, you could try something like:

• Power clean on back or shoulder day (especially if you do it from the hang, not the floor).
  • Overhead squat on leg day (no rocket surgery or brain science needed for that one)
  • Clean + Press on back or shoulder day (more likely shoulders, but either way).
  • The Bear with arms, because after serious Bear training, you won’t want to do much else.

I’d try to vary the sets and reps of them each day, to slow down the adaptations. Meaning, if you do 5x3 on power clean day, I wouldn’t do 5x3 of clean + press.