Where Do I Start? (With Pics)

Remember that lifting is a sport. Running is a sport. Throwing heavy objects is a sport. Jumping is a sport. You can set goals in those sports and still spend all of your training time in the gym.

1 Like

Hmmm… I’m pretty sure this is how crossfit started :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

No problem! You can do it. A gentleman I know was at 370. Now he is at 248 and ripped and buff. But he took the long, painful, tedious road of planning, working, and learning…and all the people he knew that dropped off the wagon took the “I’m going to diet 12-16 weeks and just move a little” idea. I personally took the opposite road–I started training at 160 lb and 6’2", and I have gotten up to 262. It took me about 10 years to do it, working as hard as humanly possible and not missing workouts or meals. I was a naturally skinny fuck.

Both are possible, but both take time and sweat and planning and dedication.

Everything starts with the mental game and the mental attitude–don’t care if it’s the gym or a degree, or a job or a sport. After the mental game, everything builds on habits and plans–you don’t need to be OCD, but how do you know where you’re headed in your car if you don’t pay attention to road signs? That’s why those things are so important. Everybody knows they need them for good jobs and school and such, but nobody really thinks about the fact that the gym is exactly the same…just using sweat instead of book work and exams.

Time.

It takes time.

It’s ok that it takes time, nothing worth having is easy or quick. Learn as much as you can and build the foundation deep and solid.

1 Like

Probably worth saying that you can make massive progress inside a year. Fat loss and muscle both take time and dedication to achieve, but fat loss is faster simply because you’re not building new structures to the body. Think in construction terms–even though demolition and building both take time, what takes more time? Building something according to plan. Tearing stuff up basically takes sweat, a few heavy implements, the dedication to show up for work and work hard, and the concentration not to fuck up and hurt yourself lol.

I think if you set your mind on learning to love the process–learning to push yourself and not worry about the results–the results happen faster. Plus you learn more because your brain is turned on. Kind of counterintuitive, but true.

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND!!! You said the G- word !! OH lord you will bring the wrath of others on us!! :wink:

Other than that nice write up…It floors me that you can go into a gym and people are so worried that they might end up getting TOO BIG. Crap I darn near puke when people say “IM just lifting to TONE,and not get Big and Bulky” As if they have the ability too get big in the first place… (mini rant) Im so thankful I dont go into commercial gyms anymore.

1 Like

You said it…I hate commercial gyms with a passion. I have a couple decent options around here that are commercial, but otherwise shitty.

I find this ironic… My oldest son is a fan of the Show Arrow thought the lead Stephen Amell was just a physical Bad Ass and wanted to look like him. Amell is 6’1 and a massive 185lbs… I thought it funny because I knew my son could easily surpass that and I told him so. My son is currently 5’8 185lbs with Close too the same BF% as Amell but has better lower body development . Mind you my son just turned 18 and has room too grow.

The only reason I bring this up is dont base your end goals on trying to look like someone else. Just try too be the best you can be. You never know in a few years you could surpass the two you mention.

1 Like

Yeah I cant do it anymore… drives me nuts . Dont get me started when I hear people start talking about actual training in those places.

1 Like

It can happen, Bulldog. I miscounted my reps once and ended up the 7 time winner of the Olympia and 2 time governor of California. Fortunately, I got back on the elliptical for a couple of weeks and it was all good.

Have you seen that video? Very funny.

3 Likes

OH MY GOD…LMAO. Never seen this before…made my day thanks

2 Likes

Legitamentally the funniest thing I’ve seen in months lol thank you

2 Likes

It’s funny because it’s true!

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Started Training/Dieting. Advice?