T Nation

Where Do I Get Started?

Hey, everyone. I’m new here and I was just kind of wondering where I should get started in my current situation. I don’t have a lot of knowledge of weightlifting or anything like that, but it is something that I want to get serious about. So here’s where I’m at. I’m currently deployed to Iraq and don’t have a whole lot of choices of weights or food, which I know are both important. For the food, I really don’t have much besides bread, hot pockets, and cookies (haha).

As for the weights, we do have a gym, but it is seriously lacking. We have dumbells, one cable machine, and a couple of benches. I’ve been going now for about a month and have seen mediocre results, probably do to the fact that I don’t know fully of what I’m doing. I’ve really only been working my arms, chest, and abs. I know this isn’t the right way to go, but like I said, I’m new and don’t know a lot of exercises.

I would just like to see what some of you think I could do, until I get back to a good gym and good food. I want to get bigger, but not huge. Right now, I’m 6’1 and about 170ish lb. Any suggestions, tips, advice, etc. is appreciated. Thanks, all!

1. you wont get huge fast, its hard, so no need to worry about getting huge, especially with no food
  2. no food, mediocre results
  3. do squats, do deadlifts
  4. try 3 times a week, full body routine, only free weights to gain strength

till your back from iraq, just get stronger, you aint getting bigger without food

check out the stickies in this forum…
training wise check starting strenght…
good luck