Where Do I Fit?

The whole rally thing, actually I think is one of his better ideas. Keeping your base energized throughout rather than just at election time is not a bad idea.
If I were him I would keep doing them. They work.

Thanks for that @loppar.

It really just caught me off guard this morning listening to Rand Paul sounding like “Hannity 2.0”.

While I certainly have not always agreed with his positions; I never expected him to be so accepting of all that occurred at the “Putin Summit”.

1 Like

My guess is the politics is “When all else fails stand on the side of Trump”. I see it in gubernatorial races and stuff where they basically say ‘Vote for me and I’ll support the President’. Hedging their bets that he’s more popular than what the stats say. Especially in red states.

I wonder about that. Every time he screws up, he seems to come out better for it. I don’t understand the phenomena, just an observation. The regular rules don’t apply.

Exactly, Pat.

It is strange. Forget about being a Sitting President…but if someone did and said the things Trump did when he was just a candidate would have had him back on the “The Apprentice” quicker than you can say “You’re fired…!”

I may let my feelings be known on this Forum…but I don’t lose sleep and take to the streets with every utterance Trump makes. It’s just not worth it.

Again…I think that ultimately he will be his own worst enemy…

1 Like

It’s not like they have anything better to do like work or spend time with their families.

1 Like

What is a centrist, exactly?

A poll watcher.

1 Like

I also recall during the heady years of the Ron Paul movement that a lot of those libertarians expressed fondness and admiration for Putin. That movement had a big dose of that libertarian/alt-right synthesis, and it had an aroma of that garbage Raj subscribed to - yeah, we love liberty, but it’s really only for a certain breed of people, and sometimes a precondition of that libertarian utopia is some good old fashioned autocracy cleaning out the people who are keeping us from it, and once we get rid of the immigrants, non-whites, Muslims, and libtards, we’ll be sailing on libertarian, night watchman government seas.

4 Likes

Difficult to define, but I know it when I see it. People who politics tend to trend neither left or right or on balance put them in the political middle.
That’s about as good as I can define it.

I think it’s fine to let him have enough rope to hang himself.
If you box him in he wriggles out.

Their Goddess, Ayn Rand, saw the extermination of Native Americans as a good thing.

Lies to get sanctions dropped or something favorable #fakenews

Slow your roll - she’s one of our prophets - not a Goddess … sheesh

This is the one big issue with Ron Paul. Rand isn’t as extreme in this sense but he has been consistent. Makes sense why he defended Trump. I posted in the Russia thread some articles Rand put out on twitter that I thought made some good points.

1 Like

Question, then @thunderbolt23 and @loppar

Paul is a Senator from a very red, “Trump” state (the other being McConnell, of course).

Could this also be a case of two Senators taking different tactics to favor support and assure the voters that they are behind Trump? (i.e. McConnell shows more “passive” support simply by doing his job; doing some arm-twisting behind the scenes; appropriately bashing the DEMS…all while not criticizing Trump…while Paul felt he had to be more publicly supportive because of criticisms he has leveled on Trump in the past?).

Think about it…in one 2-3 minute interview…Paul garnered a favorable Tweet from Trump…(which in the days and times we are in, is the highest form of endorsement).

Base reassured.

Thoughts?

Yeah, Paul is in a pretty solid red state - if you live in one of these states (as I do), as we get close to election season, virtually every Republican candidate (regardless of office) is including a shout out to Trump or “let’s keep the Trump agenda movinf together”-type pitch in the TV ads.

Paul can’t afford to play Mitch’s strategy - so he’s trying to shore up his base. And hitching hinself to Trump is the safe play. Or it was.

Yep.

I just read that one of “Sweet Home Alabama’s” Districts just completed another, nasty, nauseating Primary Runoff (they sure are getting famous for this).

One Candidate even produced a similar “Let’s Make America Great” hat…with both campaigning as the more “authentic” Trump ally.