Where Did You Guys Start Out?

I started 2 1/2 yrs ago way weaker than you. you’ve got a great bench to start with. my numbers arent impressive, but i total just around 1000 (squat+bench+deadlift)

Keep at it. you will gain strength fast. you’re lucky to have these resources to help out. if you stick with it you can only get better

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

It takes a really long time to get strong.[/quote]

I wish more people realized this…

Been training for powerlifting just shy of 3 years now.

Then-
Squat: 225
Bench: 225 (Trained only upper body for about a year leading up to this point)
Deadlift: 325

Now-
Squat: 410
Bench: 335
Deadlift: 501

Looking at these numbers in this context make me feel better about how far I have come. I really wish I was one of those people that gets crazy strong within their first couple years of training, but I am one of those people who has to work at it and you can bet your ass I am going to work as hard as I can to get as strong as I can.

Ive always been into weight lifting. But just started powerlifting recently.
Age 20
height 6,3
weight SHW
when i started powerlifting ( about 8 or so months ago. )
squat. 515
bench 405
dead 550

now
squat 625
bench 465
dead havnt maxed out but at least 665

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Started lifting - couldn’t lift the bar for bench, could only half squat 175 lbs, and never deadlifted until much later. We all start somewhere. Realize many people claim things on the internet that simply aren’t true, and the ones that aren’t full of shit lifting big numbers most likely have been at it for quite some time.[/quote]

This.

Also remember a lot of people you are reading about on the internet are like a guy that was lifting at my gym yesterday. He worked up to squatting 455 with a two inch range of motion. But on line I bet he talks about taking 455 ATG.

Started my senior year of high school (5 years ago now)

Height - 5’9"
Weight - 150 lbs (of pure skinny fat)
Squat - 85x5
Bench - 75x5
Deadlift - 95x5
Pullup - 2

now

Height - 5’10"
Weight - 210 at my heaviest
Squat - 405x1
Bench - 285x1
Deadlift - 480x1
Pullup - 18

Those weren’t my 5RMs when I started out by any means but they were what I used after I quashed my pride and decided to do it the right way.

Wendler said something about getting strong being more like a marathon then a sprint which I think is true in a lot of respects. Everyone wants the bench program that will give them 30 lbs in 6 weeks. If I could just run programs like that back to back my bench would go up 240 lbs in a year. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, except that it doesn’t happen.

Huge bump, since I haven’t been on T-Nation for quite a while… but thank’s guys for all the positive feedback! It’s nice to see that not everybody starts out squatting 400 pounds, contrary to what the internet makes us believe (:

A little over thirty years ago I was 5’6" and 130. I as about 200/200/2/40.
12 weeks later I did 310/210/315 with a close miss at 405 deadlift
Now I’m 48, an inch taller, weigh 205-210, have shoulder issues , and deadlift low to md 600s. I safety squat bar low 400s raw and good raw bench mid 300s if I wanted to risk a shoulder operation .
Stick with it and you’ll improve.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
The first time I lifted heavy was for strength testing for JV football in August 1999. I benched 150 and leg pressed 315 at a bodyweight of around 160.

The first powerliting meet I did was in August of 2006 and I squatted 520-530, benched something in the middle 300s, and deadlifted something in the low 600s.

I havent done a raw full meet in a while due to some stupid injuries that I just don’t care about anymore. My next meet is Dec. 10th and I am shooting for a raw 680-700 squat, 420+ bench, and a high 700 deadlift.

It takes a really long time to get strong.[/quote]

So very true. And it’s a long, difficult but satisfying journey .

started when i was 15

age 15
bodyWeight: 150lbs

BenchPress: 95lbs

Squat : 135lbs
deadlift : didnt have one.(didnt know about d/l til high school was damn near over.)

now: age 28
Bodyweight :296lbs
benchpress :470lbs
squat : 555lbs
dead: 530

A little over thirty years ago I was 5’6" and 130. I as about 200/200/2/40.
12 weeks later I did 310/210/315 with a close miss at 405 deadlift
Now I’m 48, an inch taller, weigh 205-210, have shoulder issues , and deadlift low to md 600s. I safety squat bar low 400s raw and good raw bench mid 300s if I wanted to risk a shoulder operation .
Stick with it and you’ll improve.

I started when I was 17, 140 lbs.
I squated and deadlifted 200, and benched 155. 4 months after that I squated 320 with cheap knee wraps, deadlifted 320 with straps, and benched 190.

I lifted on and off until 2 years ago. The last year and a half I’ve been training for powerlifting properly, something I thought I was doing right the whole time. Now I’m 25, 155 lbs. 385 comp squat no knee wraps, 451 comp deadlift, 248 comp bench, and a 1069 total.

Started Halloween of 2010 @ 43 Years old and 173# wet.
Now 44 years old and 197# lean.
Squat was 275/ Bench was 135 ! / Deadlift @ 335!
Forward 15 months of Dedicated consistency and you have
Squat @ 365 / Bench @ 235 ! / Deadlift @ 455 !

Be Dedicated and Consistent in your Training-Nutrition and SLEEP !
Be patient as you are young and your time will come…Do not get frustrated
as there will be plateuas. Remember you have friends here @ T-Nation more
than willing to help such as: Bonez, StormtheBeach and MODOK. All of whom
I have gained invaluable insight from over the last 15 months…

I still don’t even look like I lift weights.

[quote]GhostOD wrote:
I still don’t even look like I lift weights. [/quote]
Neither do I. At least not in clothes.

It’s interesting to read where everyone started. Here’s my story:

Weighed 100 lb. when I got married at 23. Had been a life-long nonathlete.
Did my first 5K at 37. It was the first athletic event I had ever participated in.
Started lifting weights at 40. Could quarter-squat 65 lb. and barely bench the bar. Didn’t even know what a DL was.
Did my first USAPL powerlifting meet at 43. Think I squatted maybe 110 lb.
Have done eight more meets and now hold all the M1 raw and geared USAPL records for the 52 kg class in my state.
Will be looking to set/break M2 records in a few years.

Your during great dude. When i was 16 it was the first time i lifted weights and at 185 i got 135 for a triple (bench press) which is horible. After some on and off training i finally got serious last year. My numbers were like 225 (bench) and around 315 DL and sqaut was pathetic i dnt even think i ever maxed out on it. BUt in that yr my bench went up to 315 DL was at 405 in december but i think it has increased and sqaut is at about 315-340 not rlly sure. SO b paitent ur numbers are fine and they wull increase rapidly also if u need a program im on my second 5/3/1 cycle and i love it.

I started lifting weights when i was 17 and I couldnt squat the bar, I’m 21 and my current squat Pr is 600.

Started at around age 12-14. Not sure of my starting weights on Squat and DL. I know I could bench 75lbs. My goal was 25 lbs plates. I really got into it my freshman year. My goal was 135 and I got it by the end of that summer. Almost 15 years later. Current BW is 220 lbs. My bench is 355, Squat 325, DL 425.

Stay with it. The training as a boxer is totally different than that of a BB or PL. Your numbers will grow dramatically. Like others have said. Good nutrition, sleep and recovery, form and technique and you’ll do just fine.

i just started a year and a half ago. i wish i would have started when i was 18 or 19. you are well on your way. After 3 months (about where you are), i could squat 225 for a set of 3, and deadlift 315 for a set of 3. Now I deadlift over 600 and squat in the mid to high 4s.

[quote]patrick4588 wrote:
i just started a year and a half ago. i wish i would have started when i was 18 or 19. you are well on your way. After 3 months (about where you are), i could squat 225 for a set of 3, and deadlift 315 for a set of 3. Now I deadlift over 600 and squat in the mid to high 4s.[/quote]

It’s amazing how much progress you’ve made on your deadlift in such a short time. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t incredibly jealous lol.

I’ve been lifting on and off for the last 8 years or so. I’m 22 now. I didn’t start being really consistent until about 2 years ago.

When I started I weighed maybe 110 pounds and I benched less than 100 pounds. I didn’t even start squatting or deadlifting until about 1.5 years ago. Yeah I was one of those guys lol.

Now I weigh 215…
bench 335
squat 365 (I know it sucks)
deadlift 515