Where Are You People?

every other guy who squats in my gym ( Y ) uses the foam bar-sleeve thingy…waddya call it ?

oh yeah…PUSSY PAD

the 1 female that I’ve seen squat doesnt use it . go figure .

I touch my tris to my knees on each rep of front squats. I don’t make an effort to do that, because elbows need to be forced up the whole time, but it just happens.

Getting out of the hole from that deep down is a hell of a lot more satisfying than doing a smaller range of motion, and it seems to involve the glutes and the VMO (vastus medialus) more when I go down that deep.

[quote]merlin wrote:
I think the hordes yelling ATG or not at all just like to yell. I’ve seen Tom Platz on Video do everything from ATG to just partial reps for his legs. Whatever gets the job done and not injured seems to be your best bet.

I would think that range of motion and full reps were thrown right out the window for guys like Larry Scott & Tom Platz when it came to building muscle and stressing it as hard as they could in certain exercises.

I think all forms of squats would be good. ATG with a lighter weight that you can actually do ATG’s on works well. Weight well over your 1RM for 1/4’s, partials, whatever, puts a ton of stress on those BIG FTMU’s and the muscle feels a whole new kind of stress.

Sure a ATG squat will do more than a half, but who’s to say that when the guy doing the half rep has much more stress on his thighs …than he would doing a full rep with a weight he could actually do a full rep for?

It all works. There is a place for everything.

merlin[/quote]

You have a point but the problem is that the majority of people in the gym don’t see it like that. They don’t know about ATG and think that parallel is too deep. There’s a lot of misinformation or, in actuality, no information at all.

These people that we’re discussing think, they believe, their dogma is, that it doesn’t matter how deep you go. They don’t even know it’s more beneficial to at least go to parallel. They don’t know about muscle recruitment. They think that what they’re doing, doing quarter squats with a relatively crazy amount of weight, weight that by all intents and purposes they have no business putting on their backs, is the only way to do squats and the only way that they DO squats.

We’re not discussing the people on this site who have at the very least (i’m talking about the beginners) heard of the different forms of squats; we’re talking about the average gym goer. The guy who does a million “body curls” (that’s what I refer to the phenomenon as. The way some people do curls using their lower back to generate momentum thinking that that’s beneficial) and only does quarter squats.