T Nation

Where Are the Scott Abel Articles?

What ever became of Abel? I had the impression that he expected to write a delt article here next and add much more in the way of explaining his innervation, hybrid, and MET stuff.

Anybody got the 411?

I’ve got his book and seminar DVD, both of which are good.

DH

Good question.

I’ve actually been meaning to pick up his stuff. What do you recommend I get first?

I’m also interested in getting some of his stuff, like his nutrition mp3 and his cycle diet dvd. Anyone else know if they’re worth it or recommend anything else from him?

I don’t know why anyone would want to read a Scott Abel article on bodybuilding since he is the most unenjoyable author to read from. His articles are loaded with “technicalese”, a style of writing I rather not see in a bodybuilding 'zine. His articles are “unreadable”.

Check his old articles at www.anabolicextreme.com. He had an interview (an unbearable one though) there as well as two articles on Innervation Training, articles loaded with complicated anatomy and physiology talk but not with one piece of information applicable to training.

His articles for T-Nation were poorly written in my view. I usually finished reading his articles - that is - if I lasted through one of them thinking to myself: “what the fuck is this guy talking about?!”

I am sure he knows what he is doing. He gets people into shape and has worked with many pros. His articles are god awful though.

Ha…ha. Yes he can be “different” to read at first. I even jabbed that he sounded like Dave Draper on LSD.

But, once you weed through his own little semantic dictionary you find some really good info.

I’ve got his seminar DVD which is about 2.5 hours long. He hits major concepts pretty well and it goes along with his book well. What the one leaves a bit vague the other clarifies.

I think the biggest thing with Scott is that he has his own terminology that, once interpreted, begins to make sense. Then you can see his concepts for what they are.

Long story short, he is hard to interpret at first, but if you stick with it and begin to insert terms and concepts that you already know into his dialogue then you can groove on his writing.

Now as for writing style, I do think that he is guilty of taking 3 lefts to make a right. He is of the opinion that the reader must “come up” to the level of the article in question. I disagree, within reason of course. Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler (thank you, Albert).

What good is it to understand something, with the intent to teach, if you don’t frame the information in common vernacular or at least begin with some rudimentary definitions. Not dumbing down, just point blank clarity. To me that is a sign of both expertise and the ability to teach. Good teachers make difficult concepts easier to grasp. Scott struggles here a bit. But again, once you get it, he is a wealth of info and experience.

Best,
DH

Well, first it’s all pretty salty in price. So that being said, I think his book is probably the best place to start. As I said, I have the DVD which is not quite as “full” as his book but does clarify a few points. The one I’m curious about is his training principles CD and/or MP3. It’s about $40 or so, which is the cheapest of all his stuff.

Best,
DH

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
Good question.

I’ve actually been meaning to pick up his stuff. What do you recommend I get first?[/quote]