T Nation

Where Are The Missing Calories?

A product label says there are 200 calories with the following breakdown:

Protein 20g (80 calories)
29 Carbs (11 Fiber but still 116 calories)
Fat 3.5g (31.5 calories)

That’s 227.5 calories.

How?

Thanks!

Anyone eat FiberOne ceral?? Same deal. It has like 25+ carbs per serving, 5 or so protein grams, and its only 60 cals per serving.

Maybe they don’t count the fiber?

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Anyone eat FiberOne ceral?? Same deal. It has like 25+ carbs per serving, 5 or so protein grams, and its only 60 cals per serving.

Maybe they don’t count the fiber?[/quote]

I thought of that, but if you take off 44 calories from fiber (in my example) then you only have 183 calories…

The FDA requires companies to label something over 0.5 g I believe at 1 g. This could cause a couple of the macros (like protein x.5 to round up and carbs x.4 to round down.) Of course they’ll list fat as 3.5, so it’s not 4 and looks more appeasing. It’s all in the marketing man.

I know they are allowed to do a little bit of rounding too, which is why you rarely see “294 calories per serving”, it just gets rounded to 295, or maybe even 290

Ever read the side of a can of pop? 38 grams of sugar will come out at like 140 calories, although we know it isn’t.

I was under the impression that fibre provides ± 2cals/gram…which would make the number somewhat accurate.

Can’t remember where I read that info though.

[quote]Vyapada wrote:
I was under the impression that fibre provides ± 2cals/gram…which would make the number somewhat accurate.

Can’t remember where I read that info though.[/quote]

Agreed. Fiber does not illicit a full 4 cal/gram response. I think it’s around 3.25 or so, but I don’t recall specifically. That still doesn’t make the label above correct, but it’s closer. I think we’re looking at rounding factors. There are quite a few products out there that have these issues.

Some manufacturers also do not “believe” fat is 9 cal/gram. I’ve seen some say their scientists believe it’s more around 8. Not sure why the FDA let’s them get away with it.