T Nation

Where Am I Weak?

Ive been lifting for a little over 1.5 years now. But I had to take a 4 month hiatus due to Marine Corps Boot Camp and Marine Combat Training (MCT). In those 4 months, I lost A LOT of mass, especially chest. I was able to do A LOT of pushups and pullups though. Ive been back from my training since September, since then Ive been lifting all the time. Reading and lifting are pretty much my life.

I kinda of have a identity crisis between bodybuilding and powerlifting. Based on my body, lifts and measurements, any advice as to what I should pursue? I enjoy both.

I REALIZE THAT IM NOT THAT IMPRESSIVE!! but I’d like some advice as to what to concentrate on. Where do I look the weakest? What do I need to work on? I’d say that my upper traps and shoulders need the most work.

Thanks

STATS:

5’6"
185lbs
23 years old

Flat BB Bench = 240x3
Deadlift = 305x1 (just started doing deads in December)
Legs = (half) marathon runner, so focus on endurance

Chest = 43"
Calf = 17"
Arm = 15.5"
Forearm = 13"
Waist (around belly button) = 34"

Back

Back and Legs

More

Back

About 1.5 years ago in August 2006.

Sorry about it being a screen shot. I saved it in a Microsoft Word document and deleted the actual picture off of my hard drive. So this was the only way that I could figure out how to post it.

Chest looks good. People will probably say your upper back (traps, lats) needs improvement. You definitely made progress from your “before” pic

You’re kinda soft and pale so it’s hard to tell.

I am too, so don’t take it like I’m trying to attack you.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
You’re kinda soft and pale so it’s hard to tell.

I am too, so don’t take it like I’m trying to attack you. [/quote]

lol Im definetely paler than 90% of eskimos. I spent the entire summer in the ASININE heat and humidity of Parris Island where I got a crazy farmers tan. Im in San Diego and when the whether starts to warm up Ill be less albino.

And I know that im very “smooth”. Im not a vascular person to begin with, but even if I were, Im not too worried about getting “cut”. I’d rather be big than cut. Personal preference, but Im sure Ill eventually get sick of looking so smooth and will try to cut sometime in the next 1-2 years. Maybe while Im in Iraq.

Thanks for the responses!! Keep em coming.

[quote]Bonn1997 wrote:
Chest looks good. People will probably say your upper back (traps, lats) needs improvement. You definitely made progress from your “before” pic[/quote]

Traps for sure. Lats I guess I can see too. I do A LOT of pullups, so my lats are pretty strong, despite not being overly large. I can do 25-27 chinups and about 20-22 pullups (arms locked, all the way down, no cheating with legs, chin above bar – Marine Corps style).

I do 6 sets of shrugs (alternate between front BB, back BB, and DB shrugs) about every 3-4 days for the last 4 months trying to make up for lost time on the traps. I neglected them for a while.

calves look sick

Thanks.

Anyone else?

Nice calves, quads need work.

i think u should pursue undulating periodization… which typically involves alternating hypertrophy and strength training phases every 4-6 weeks

Bit soft, but CRAZY calves

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:
i think u should pursue undulating periodization… which typically involves alternating hypertrophy and strength training phases every 4-6 weeks[/quote]
That’s exactly what Ive been doing. Right now Im a hypertrophy phase. Each month is a different phase.

[quote]bmitch wrote:
Nice calves, quads need work.[/quote]

Appreciate the advice. Ill try and focus on quads a bit more. My legs are a product of 15 years of hockey and years and years of cross country running. You cant really tell from the pictures, but my quads are enormous, just very soft.

Everything sucks except your calves.

Wish I had your calf genetics /cry

I would emphasize the lats more, but your physique looks very well-rounded. I can’t answer the bodybuilding-or-powerlifting question for you, but it looks like you can do well in either so I guess pick which one you like better?

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
I would emphasize the lats more, but your physique looks very well-rounded. I can’t answer the bodybuilding-or-powerlifting question for you, but it looks like you can do well in either so I guess pick which one you like better?[/quote]

I agree with the well-rounded thought. Best of luck in your future BBing / PLing