T Nation

Where am I Supposed to Grip a CoC?

Suggestive title?.. i don’t know what you’re talking about.
No homo, right?

Anyway, today as i was getting ready to squeeze my CoC, i realised that in the middle, there is like a metal band.
Now, when they say (CoC 1 for example) that Coc X has X amount of pounds of force needed to close it, do they mean at the bands, at the absolute top?
Where the fuck am i supposed to put my hands?
I try to grip it as close to the spring as possible.
This has lead to zero progress.
So am i doing it wrong? What is the “norm” for hand position on a Coc?

Excuse my immaturity.
Thanks

I think your supposed to have your pinkey half way hanging off the bottom.

Just squeeze the handles together until they touch, dude.

[quote]doosl wrote:
Just squeeze the handles together until they touch, dude.[/quote]

I’ve been trying, that’s the point.
Am i doing it wrong?

I grip it as high as i can but i still need an inch to close them.
It’s annoying.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
doosl wrote:

Am i doing it wrong?

It’s annoying.[/quote]

that means you need a stronger grip…

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
blazindave wrote:
doosl wrote:

Am i doing it wrong?

It’s annoying.

that means you need a stronger grip…[/quote]

bingo!

Well… when closing the grippers, you are going to have the best leverage stand point further down the handles. To give you some perspective, think about the big ratchet lock cutters. there’s a reason the handles are 2 feet long… to create more leverage and allow a person to cut the lock. Same applies to CoCs. You want to have your fingers low on the handle (pinky on or off), but you want the other side of the handle to be lodge deep in your palm closer to your wrist than your thumb.

put ur thumb and the top of your hand on the band…like an olympic bar…so your pinky is more or less on the very bottom. This will allow you to get the most of the gripper…not to easy that you are doing nothing, yet humanly possible

Grip it low, pinky just on the end. see pic.

If you’re having trouble closing the gripper, try doing negatives for a while.

Use your other hand to support your other hand by closing the gripper, then holding it closed with the one hand until you can’t anymore. Also, don’t overtrain it.

You can grip it however you want, provided that the starting position is not narrower than the width of an ATM/credit card and the coil faces upwards.

That being said, I find lower is better.

Pinky at the bottom. Don’t overthink it. The further away you grip from the spring the easier it makes it, but your pinky makes a big difference in closing it that last 1/4 inch or so so it needs to be all the way on the handle.

[quote]anonym wrote:
You can grip it however you want, provided that the starting position is not narrower than the width of an ATM/credit card and the coil faces upwards.

That being said, I find lower is better.[/quote]

Well, that only matters if you intend to certify with Ironmind. You can Table No-set, No-Set, Credit Card set, Parallel set, and so on. And flipping the gripper works the pinkie and ring finger harder.

To the OP, I was going to explain how to set the gripper but Smitty does a much better job here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaG1G80v4k

watch this

Most of my workouts are with no sets, and a few parallel sets with harder grippers like #3.

If you only need an inch to close it, you prob doing it right. The hardest part of the close is the very last part, and it can take some time to get it finally closed.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
blazindave wrote:
doosl wrote:

Am i doing it wrong?

It’s annoying.

that means you need a stronger grip…[/quote]

You can always have a stronger grip, especially if you’re on a CoC #1.
The number 1 is 140 pounds of force to close.
However i wanted to know WHERE are these 140 pounds of force?
Is it at the absolute top? The absolute bottom?
So i figured i was a bit too high.
Mind you i will keep on trying to close it at the absolute top but i was just curious.

edit: Shizen, i only do the CoC 3 times a week, on my max effort days.
I do 3 sets of 5.
Should i make it that one day is 3 sets of 5, another day is no set and one is set till failure?

Thanks guys.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
anonym wrote:

Well, that only matters if you intend to certify with Ironmind.[/quote]

This is true…that’s been my goal for the past few months, so it’s been fresh in my mind.

[quote]anonym wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
anonym wrote:

Well, that only matters if you intend to certify with Ironmind.

This is true…that’s been my goal for the past few months, so it’s been fresh in my mind.[/quote]

Did you see they had a new cert for the COC 3.5? I find it next to impossible on some of my grippers with wide spreads. I have little girl hands so setting the gripper is pretty necessary in a lot of cases for me.

To the OP, I had good results following this workout that Clay Edgin described(near the bottom)
www.heavygrips.com/training/beginner.html

[quote]blazindave wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
blazindave wrote:
doosl wrote:

Am i doing it wrong?

It’s annoying.

that means you need a stronger grip…

You can always have a stronger grip, especially if you’re on a CoC #1.
The number 1 is 140 pounds of force to close.
However i wanted to know WHERE are these 140 pounds of force?
Is it at the absolute top? The absolute bottom?
So i figured i was a bit too high.
Mind you i will keep on trying to close it at the absolute top but i was just curious.

edit: Shizen, i only do the CoC 3 times a week, on my max effort days.
I do 3 sets of 5.
Should i make it that one day is 3 sets of 5, another day is no set and one is set till failure?

Thanks guys.[/quote]

At the ends

hahahahahahaha!!! coc!!! hahahaha :wink: where am supposed to grip a coc hahahahahahahahaha

[quote]shizen wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaG1G80v4k

watch this

Most of my workouts are with no sets, and a few parallel sets with harder grippers like #3.

If you only need an inch to close it, you prob doing it right. The hardest part of the close is the very last part, and it can take some time to get it finally closed. [/quote]

This information is great. Another thing that really helps, believe it or not, is using chalk. Sometimes the springs get dry too and this causes them to stick. A good way to fix this is to put some WD40 or olive oil on them. Before I couldn’t completely close the CoC #2s. I just closed them 5 times.