When You Lift, Do You Imagine?

Ok so this is a bit off topic, but what the hell. When I lift I envision my self as… well… a superhero type, or villain depending on my mood.

What got me started on this is one day, many years ago a buddy of mine pissed of this cook at a restaurant we were working at. The guy walked over to my friend (he was maybe about 150lbs at the time) grabbed him by the neck with one hand and lifted him clean off the ground with easy, and held him there for what seemed to be forever while he screamed in his face. He then quietly put him down and went back to work. It was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen in my life, it was something straight out of a movie.

Ever since then when I’ve lifted, I picture my self as another person in another place. It makes the workout a bit more interesting.

So am I the only loony tune here?
Smack!

Hell no. I like to pretned horrible things will happen to my loved ones if I miss the lift. I know it sounds fucked up, but damn it gets me jacked me up.

I also like to flash back to great moments in sports or movies. The part in Gladiator where he takes his helmet off and turns to the emperor gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Hell no. I like to pretned horrible things will happen to my loved ones if I miss the lift. I know it sounds fucked up, but damn it gets me jacked me up.

I also like to flash back to great moments in sports or movies. The part in Gladiator where he takes his helmet off and turns to the emperor gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.[/quote]

That reminds me of Wedding Crashers…

“That’d be awesome. We could get something like big game. Even like a gorilla or a rhinoceros or a fucking human being! That’ll get you jacked up.”

-MAtt

No - I think of things that piss me off.

I try to imagine that I’m gonna make the lift. Then Make the lift again. Then again. Then rack it if I’m doing a set of three. If not I keep going.

I find that I do a lot better if I keep myself grounded to reality than if I daydream.

[quote]Alex-P wrote:
No - I think of things that piss me off.[/quote]

me too

[quote]tveddy wrote:
I try to imagine that I’m gonna make the lift. Then Make the lift again. Then again. Then rack it if I’m doing a set of three. If not I keep going.

I find that I do a lot better if I keep myself grounded to reality than if I daydream.[/quote]

i do that too. i visualize the next set as realistically as possible. grip, sticking points, everything i can. the imaginary set sort of dictates my rest period. when i’m done with the rehearsal i do the real set.

when i do that my workout stays really focused, i make more lifts, and possible distractions just bounce off.

i imagine all the people, living life in peace… no hell below us and above us only sky :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
i imagine all the people, living life in peace… no hell below us and above us only sky :stuck_out_tongue: [/quote]

That’s the gayest thing I’ve ever heard.

[quote]Jolt wrote:
john-lennon wrote:
i imagine all the people, living life in peace… no hell below us and above us only sky :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the gayest thing I’ve ever heard.[/quote]

It’s a song… called “imagine”.

the other guys…

what i imagine is my friend that benches 450, my other friend who’s arms are (currently) bigger than mine. anyone stronger than me or bigger than i am. my competitiveness helps me get those 2 extra reps

Yeah I imagine I’ve got some kind of cyborg shit going down. Y’know, hydraulics for arms whilst benching etc.

It helps.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Yeah I imagine I’ve got some kind of cyborg shit going down. Y’know, hydraulics for arms whilst benching etc.

It helps. [/quote]

LOL, that’s awesome. Terminator!

gayest thing ever? you must have never heard of the beatles my friend. im guessing your young

I imagine I’m Spiderman. Or just lift.

[quote]john-lennon wrote:
gayest thing ever? you must have never heard of the beatles my friend. im guessing your young[/quote]

no bro that was jsut they gayest way of getting pumped up for a lift i think anyone has ever heard of…put down the bong.

I think about my competition on the football field. I think about all of my teammates who are relying on me to get my job done.

Well for me a lot of time I will turn on “Super Beast” by Zombie. I invision my self as said beast and tell the weights they are my bitch.

Gives me a bit more motivation.

SMACK78!

I imagine all the times I’ve had my ass kicked, been disrespected, had girls cheat on me, stuff like that. I’ve been on the verge of tears for some of my best lifts, but it keeps me out of therapy.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:
I imagine all the times I’ve had my ass kicked, been disrespected, had girls cheat on me, stuff like that. I’ve been on the verge of tears for some of my best lifts, but it keeps me out of therapy.[/quote]

thats basically what i do except for the verge tears part.