When You Grow Up

I’ve always had a shit-ton of goals and accomplished maybe 1/4th of them. The top 3 things I wanted to be when I was were a gymnast, a vet, and a writer. I’m obviously nowhere close to two of those and while I have the grades for the other, am not interested in working harder for a title than a doctor but getting paid less.

So now I’m working towards finishing up a degree in zoology with a minor in business and continuing on to a masters in business so I can start running non-profits.

The secret to reaching your goals in life is to aim low. :wink:

When I was a kid I wanted to have a driver’s license. Goal achieved.

Honestly, as a kid/early teen, I would literally dream that I owned the company to be the first to mass produce flying cars, and different forms of energy. Not to say I “ruled the world” but definitely a historic figure type in these dreams (Einstein, gates, Rockefeller type). I also used to want to be a Sayajin when i started watching DragonBall Z when i was younger, but thats even more unrealistic.

I know these seem unattainable, but I’ve don’t fit in the normal way of life (i.e. doctor lawyer, factory worker) I was very heavily math and science based in school and had good grades all around, so I went to school for engineering, but dropped out as i didn’t enjoy college aside from the drinking and girls. Some people might be offended by this, but I think formal education isn’t the key to success, success in my eyes I mean.

About 80% of the wealthiest people in history, or the founders of major companies like McDonalds, Dell, etc. dropped out of high school and/or college because it can’t teach you how to change the world, just how to succeed in the way the world is now. Education is important, don’t get me wrong, but the type of knowledge i’m looking for wasn’t written in a standard text book, although I do read only non-fiction.

As for what am I doing/how close am I to achieving this/these? I’m 23 ad work as a salesman in a field that can make serious cash, but don’t want to do it forever. Just trying to build up the cash for a design I have for an electric car that can sustain and charge itself w/o ever needing to be filled/plugged/charged from an external source.

I won’t know how well it works til’ it’s done but I think it’s moving in the right direction. I am also constantly reading the latest research findings on science, medicine, health, and just about anything that catches my personal interest.

I agree with BodyGaurd in that, to an extent, will power can help make even the most seemingly impossible tasks possible. Good topic OP

I am intentionally being vague with my answers, as they can be explained thru a long, drawn-out post, but, the simplest approach seems best.

1. To be FREE
  2. To help
  3. To have a family of my own.

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:
I am intentionally being vague with my answers, as they can be explained thru a long, drawn-out post, but, the simplest approach seems best.

1. To be FREE
  2. To help
  3. To have a family of my own.[/quote]

this is a great answer Beast! a good list for any human who holds good values.

When I was a little kid I wanted to be Wolverine lol. I used to sit in class in like 3rd grade and just try so hard to make blades come out of my knuckles.

Once I grew up a bit I came up with the criteria for my perfect job: intellectually stimulating while at the same time having a physical/dangerous component, important (subjective, I know), and lucrative. Still searching for that lol…if traditional journalism weren’t gasping its last dying breaths that would be a good choice. I still may end up at Columbia for graduate studies in the field in the coming fall, despite being told that its a bad idea by almost everyone.

Ever since I was little it seemed like the only job I would like is some sort of soldier. As I grew older I realized that it wasn’t always back and forth combat action, and the concept of death and the many types of violent ways you can become acquainted became clearer and clearer. I still wanted to hold some sort of combat job nonetheless. Hell, I still do. Unfortunately Uncle Sam won’t let me right now because of one stupid medical regulation (or the lack of a need for bodies).

Through my early teen years I always felt that urge toward violence of action. Not just the impulse to inflict mayhem (I covered this in a SAMA thread), but that feeling where you have a specific target and it has to go. My uncle was both Air Force and USMC special forces (I guess the Air Force wasn’t exciting enough. lol) throughout his military career, so I think this played a big role in influencing me.

I hope that the military can change their regs around soon, or that I can at least find a recruiter that gives enough of a shit to know that I’m not just dicking around when I tell him I can handle the pain of my condition and still be an effective asset.

I’m currently a dip-dunk, knuckle dragging, monkey labor construction worker, and I hate the fuck out of it.

The job of my dreams would absolutely be Navy SEAL, Air Force PJ, or Force Recon.

When I was young I witnessed the murder of my parents at the hands of a petty criminal. I’ve always taken the blame seeing as it was my idea to leave the theatre we were at early due to my discomfort with the play’s use of prop bats. As I grew older I let my thirst for revenge and anger towards the person who wronged me build and build until the point that I almost took his life during his parole hearing. However, someone else beat me to it and there I was, left without a purpose.

It was at that point that I decided I would learn the techniques of the ninja from a trustworthy clan of mountain dwellers. Once my skills were sharpened, I would return home to my birthplace to clean up the streets and rid the city of the crime that struck fear into the hearts of it’s citizens. I would take one the persona of my greatest fear and use it against my enemies.

I’m Batman…

^lol

SEAL would be awesome, my little brother is trying to work into that, he’s already in the NAVY but trying to get in good enough shape before he tries out. They wouldn’t let me join at 18 because of my knees :(.

Batman, that was a good one, had me going for a second!

When I was in 8th grade, we had a sub. I always screwed with the sub (who didn’t). So at some point she’s asking about career goals and being the oportunist, I said “Assassin”. Must not have been her first sub gig cuz she never missed a beat. I figured that being in Catholic school, I would be pushing the envelope by wanting to be a killer. So she says “interesting, what type of assasin do you want to be”? I’m dumbfounded and she goes on to identify types.

I decided on political assassin. I got owned!!

Now I just kill weights and sales. kinda worked out (just gotta use my magination a lil).

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
When I was in 8th grade, we had a sub. I always screwed with the sub (who didn’t). So at some point she’s asking about career goals and being the oportunist, I said “Assassin”. Must not have been her first sub gig cuz she never missed a beat. I figured that being in Catholic school, I would be pushing the envelope by wanting to be a killer. So she says “interesting, what type of assasin do you want to be”? I’m dumbfounded and she goes on to identify types.

I decided on political assassin. I got owned!!
[/quote]

Oh man that’s great. Nothing better than a sub that can handle the shit that gets thrown at them… except a sub that can’t handle the shit that gets thrown at them.

I always wanted to be Tommy Lee’s dick.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I always wanted to be Tommy Lee’s dick.[/quote]

Who hasn’t in their time, honestly?

I totally planned to develop superpowers for the longest time.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

1 out of 2 aint bad.

lol

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

1 out of 2 aint bad.

lol[/quote]

Ha. Ha. Ha.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

1 out of 2 aint bad.

lol[/quote]

Ha. Ha. Ha.[/quote]

Ouch. DB you been quite lately, teaching keeping you busy?

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

1 out of 2 aint bad.

lol[/quote]

Ha. Ha. Ha.[/quote]

Ouch. DB you been quite lately, teaching keeping you busy?[/quote]

No, my legal wranglings are. I’ve been around, there just haven’t been that many topics that interest me here lately. I kinda tend to hit this place in waves.