When You Get Pinned By A Barbell

[quote]sed26 wrote:
Have you guys stopped to think that he may have been lifting with 25 lbs. on each side and considered that he may have a body the size of a 10 year old’s? :D[/quote]

have you stopped to consider this?

with those things in mind, lay down on a floor and try out a floor press. even if you dont have a bar, pretend you have one in your hands, and tell me how far off your chest that bar is when your upper arms are on the floor.

[quote] Matt wrote:
Floor press is a full range bench for me. One of my training partners cannot touch his elbows to the ground when he floor presses.[/quote]

ok, and a mean no offense at all with this…but with your upper weight limit listed in your profile of 240lbs, on a 5’7" frame, i suppose its possible for you to me thick enough that when the back of your upper arms are touching the floor, as in a floor press, the bar might be resting on your chest, thus making it the same range of motion youd get on a bench.

as for your training partners elbows not touching the floor, come on…its a no brainer that someone with heavily muscled upper arms may not literally have their elbows touch the floor during a floor press. i would venture to guess that many in the circle of dave tate dont literally have their elbows touch the floor when doing floor presses.

however, judging by the fact that the OP got pinned under a weight while doing floor presses by himself, locked in his room, im pretty confident that he is not a very heavily muscled powerlifter, such that his elbows dont touch when he does floor presses, or that a floor press is the same ROM as a bench press, due to his torso thickness.

all of that being said, none of it makes any difference. we can simply go back to the question of how he got in position to do the floor presses in the first place, and why if he was able to get in position in the first place, he suddenly found himself pinned under the weight. it makes no fucking sense at all. if anyone were to actually think about it for longer than 3 seconds, they will see that.

i think a lot of people replied to this thread thinking back on times when they were pinned under weight on a bench. weve all been there, but its not the same fucking thing.

btw, “Matt” (my name too)- i certainly realize by looking at your pics that youre well aware of what a floor press is and how to do them correctly. i hope that from reading my post you didnt think that i was somehow trying to say anything different about your personal knowledge.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
Matt wrote:
Floor press is a full range bench for me. One of my training partners cannot touch his elbows to the ground when he floor presses.

ok, and a mean no offense at all with this…but with your upper weight limit listed in your profile of 240lbs, on a 5’7" frame, i suppose its possible for you to me thick enough that when the back of your upper arms are touching the floor, as in a floor press, the bar might be resting on your chest, thus making it the same range of motion youd get on a bench.

as for your training partners elbows not touching the floor, come on…its a no brainer that someone with heavily muscled upper arms may not literally have their elbows touch the floor during a floor press. i would venture to guess that many in the circle of dave tate dont literally have their elbows touch the floor when doing floor presses.

however, judging by the fact that the OP got pinned under a weight while doing floor presses by himself, locked in his room, im pretty confident that he is not a very heavily muscled powerlifter, such that his elbows dont touch when he does floor presses, or that a floor press is the same ROM as a bench press, due to his torso thickness.

all of that being said, none of it makes any difference. we can simply go back to the question of how he got in position to do the floor presses in the first place, and why if he was able to get in position in the first place, he suddenly found himself pinned under the weight. it makes no fucking sense at all. if anyone were to actually think about it for longer than 3 seconds, they will see that.

i think a lot of people replied to this thread thinking back on times when they were pinned under weight on a bench. weve all been there, but its not the same fucking thing.

[/quote]

hahaha, fair enough!

:wink:

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
btw, “Matt” (my name too)- i certainly realize by looking at your pics that youre well aware of what a floor press is and how to do them correctly. i hope that from reading my post you didnt think that i was somehow trying to say anything different about your personal knowledge.[/quote]

no worries…

I missed the whole floor press part of this too.

[quote]romualdo wrote:
I was doing floor presses at my heaviest set when I failed on my 2nd rep. I was not able to push the barbell up and had the barbell pinning on my chest. I was exercising alone in my room with the door locked. With no one to help, and no strength to put the weight on the stand, I panicked!!!

I slowly let the barbell press on my ribs and tilt it on my right. With the right hand side of the barbell resting on the floor, I had to contemplate on how to get the left side of the barbell off my body. I tried to slowly sit up while rolling the barbell down from my chest to my stomach, then to my belly and then to my thigh. I unscrewed the knob on the left hand side of my barbell and took off one weight plate. With the left side now lighter, I used both hands to push the barbell aside and FINALLY got up standing.

I am now afraid if I have fractured anything in my body. I don’t really feel any pain anywhere…but I am scared they might surface tomorrow morning…I tried pressing my body over all the places. I don’t feel any pain or bruise or such sorts, though it might be too early to tell. I admit it’s my fault I got myself in this. I should have lifted a lighter weight…

If this were to happen to you, what would you do? Or if this HAD happened to you before, what did you do?[/quote]

This is made up. Or the guy who posted it is retarted serisouly just read it again it makes no sense at all in like 300 ways, in addition to what that other guy said with it being impossible anyway.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
sed26 wrote:
Have you guys stopped to think that he may have been lifting with 25 lbs. on each side and considered that he may have a body the size of a 10 year old’s? :smiley:

have you stopped to consider this?

with those things in mind, lay down on a floor and try out a floor press. even if you dont have a bar, pretend you have one in your hands, and tell me how far off your chest that bar is when your upper arms are on the floor.[/quote]

Maybe he has toddler arms. lol But really I think this thread was someone with a lot of time on their hands just to give us a riddle.

I live in my house by myself and have lifted weights by myself, off and on, for over 20 years. I have never had a problem getting my barbell onto the floor if I can’t get it back up to the support stand.

This has happened a few times and within a few seconds the barbell is on the floor and no longer a problem. I always try to gauge my remaining strength so I do not do the bench press so many times that I won’t be able to get out from under it if I can’t lift it. I just let one side slide to the floor and lift the up side with both hands and it has never been close to a problem.

I’ve had a bar land on me I just push with all my might to get it standing up straight then I let if fall to the left or right of me.

Now I just ask someone at the gym to spot me.

i find it amazing that people are still responding to this thread, however real or fake it may have been, as if the first post was speaking of a regular bench press.

can people not read? FUCKING FLOOOOOOR PRESS!

for those talking about how they do it at home, and let the bar slide to a side or whatever, if youre actually talking about a floor press, im amazed by your stupidity. a floor press should be done while laying down inside a power rack, with pins set at the proper height.

doing floor presses without a proper rack with pins, especially by yourself, is just plain stupid.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
i find it amazing that people are still responding to this thread, however real or fake it may have been, as if the first post was speaking of a regular bench press.

can people not read? FUCKING FLOOOOOOR PRESS!

for those talking about how they do it at home, and let the bar slide to a side or whatever, if youre actually talking about a floor press, im amazed by your stupidity. a floor press should be done while laying down inside a power rack, with pins set at the proper height.

doing floor presses without a proper rack with pins, especially by yourself, is just plain stupid. [/quote]

Calm down bro, and BTW I’ve seen Ryan Kennelly in his movie Road to the Arnold doing floor presses w/ I guess 315 and chains off the floor,can’t remember exactly it was alot though, he did have a spotter.

im perfectly calm, bro.

i dont know who Ryan Kennelly is, but as you said, he had a spotter.

im just simply amazed at some dumb things that i have seen in this little thread. its a perfect example of how people read something quickly, think they got it, and then go type up their response. im sure its how most of the pissing contests on this site get started.

im sure that if most people that responded with things like “oh tilt one side up, let the plates fall off blah blah” had actually read it correctly, there would have been more people that saw that it made no sense.

its simple- if youre doing floor presses from the floor (meaning not set on pins in a rack), and youre doing them by yourself, then the way you get out when you cant do any more reps is the same damn way you got in there in the first place.

what also amazes me is why someone would make up this stupid little story in the first place. i mean…why choose floor presses? this little BS story would have sailed right through the BS detectors if the OP had simply said they got pinned doing bench presses. i mean, weve all been there, right?

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
im perfectly calm, bro.

i dont know who Ryan Kennelly is, but as you said, he had a spotter.

im just simply amazed at some dumb things that i have seen in this little thread. its a perfect example of how people read something quickly, think they got it, and then go type up their response. im sure its how most of the pissing contests on this site get started.

im sure that if most people that responded with things like “oh tilt one side up, let the plates fall off blah blah” had actually read it correctly, there would have been more people that saw that it made no sense.

its simple- if youre doing floor presses from the floor (meaning not set on pins in a rack), and youre doing them by yourself, then the way you get out when you cant do any more reps is the same damn way you got in there in the first place.

what also amazes me is why someone would make up this stupid little story in the first place. i mean…why choose floor presses? this little BS story would have sailed right through the BS detectors if the OP had simply said they got pinned doing bench presses. i mean, weve all been there, right?[/quote]

Ya I hear you, and Ryan Kennelly holds the world record bench press at 1050 pounds.

Regardless of whether the guy was telling the truth - and if he was, I’m not sure what the point of the post was; don’t lift alone with a barbell that could pin you - everyone who said “Don’t use barbell sleeves” etc is way off base.

About 75% of people who lift at my (college) gym seem to not use them…and whether you have a spotter or not, I maintain that it is STUPID. Have you ever actually had to tilt a barbell to drop the weights off? If you have, I doubt you’d recommend the experience. Seriously, it’s a surefire way to break/tear/rupture some major tissue. There is no way you can safely do it.

Imagine doing a heavy bench, snapping a tendon in the course of the lift, THEN catapulting your half-loaded barbell as your body tries to stabilize the suddenly ballistic iron.

It’s like the maniacal, evil cousin of unstable training.

today i got pinned while deadlifting. anyone have any advice on what i should have done?

Well, let me start off by saying I was very very glad to read about the first few encouraging and comforting posts on how to avoid making the mistake I made. However, the consecutive posts just seem C.R.U.E.L. Accusing me a L.I.A.R. when all that has happened is true and no B.S. What happened to compassion??

In any case, I weight 72kg, workout at home, have a barbell, using 10kg plates (because no fitness shops in where I live is selling anything heavier). I packed on 3 x 10kg plates onto each side of the barbell. I don’t have a bench, not because I cannot afford it, but because my room is small and I cannot afford any space to put in a bench, much less a power cage. I have thoughts of moving, but my stupid house is still in progress (dun get me started on how frustrated I am with my developer) so till I get my house, I am stuck with my room, my limited space and limited equipment.

For those who have questions on how I complete my floor press:

I set up the barbells and use wooden stools as stands. Wooden stools. You’ve R.E.A.D. them correctly. Go ahead. Laugh, balk. You think if I had the proper access to the proper equipment and gym, I would be using them? I improvised the best I could. So, when I lift the barbell onto the stools, I get under the barbell, hands on the barbell. I lift off the stools, press down and then up. Complete the sets, and set them onto the stools again. Maybe it is the wrong approach, but like I said, I improvised the best way I could.

When the U.N.F.O.R.T.U.N.A.T.E happened, I had my elbows touch the floor, but I just could not push up to the stands. Hence, I chose to slowly let them down and put the bar on my chest/rib cage. I panicked and I tried to reduce the weight on the barbell before pushing it off.

Is that C.L.E.A.R. enough for you guys?

I guess, like some of you said, I should N.E.V.E.R have posted this in the first place. I thought I could get advice, comments, pointers to steer me the right way. Instead, I got mocked. I don’t need your humiliation to make my day.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
today i got pinned while deadlifting. anyone have any advice on what i should have done?[/quote]

Were you using the collars?

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
today i got pinned while deadlifting. anyone have any advice on what i should have done?[/quote]

You might not be ready yet, but try putting a plate on each side of the bar.

This way you can’t get your toes stuck under the bar when you put the weight down.

:slight_smile: I RULE!

[quote]romualdo wrote: some more
[/quote]

W.H.A.T.E.V.E.R. M.A.N.