T Nation

When You Get Pinned By A Barbell

I was doing floor presses at my heaviest set when I failed on my 2nd rep. I was not able to push the barbell up and had the barbell pinning on my chest. I was exercising alone in my room with the door locked. With no one to help, and no strength to put the weight on the stand, I panicked!!!

I slowly let the barbell press on my ribs and tilt it on my right. With the right hand side of the barbell resting on the floor, I had to contemplate on how to get the left side of the barbell off my body. I tried to slowly sit up while rolling the barbell down from my chest to my stomach, then to my belly and then to my thigh. I unscrewed the knob on the left hand side of my barbell and took off one weight plate. With the left side now lighter, I used both hands to push the barbell aside and FINALLY got up standing.

I am now afraid if I have fractured anything in my body. I don’t really feel any pain anywhere…but I am scared they might surface tomorrow morning…I tried pressing my body over all the places. I don’t feel any pain or bruise or such sorts, though it might be too early to tell. I admit it’s my fault I got myself in this. I should have lifted a lighter weight…

If this were to happen to you, what would you do? Or if this HAD happened to you before, what did you do?

1st off, never train in a room all alone, that’s just stupid. If you do have to train alone, use dumbells so you can drop them.

If it had happened to me? It wouldn’t have, I try to think ahead. You can’t train if you’re dead, and I like training.

S

Stu`s advice is all you need. If you are training alone use dumbbells. Now that you have had the shit scared out of you I am sure you will never do that again! Be safe and happy lifting.
P.S your ribcage can withstand an amazing amount of abuse, it protects some pretty import shit and is there for a reason.

I did this exact thing! I was lifting in my room and got pinned and just couldn’t get that last rep for shit. So I myself rolled the weight down and tilted it to the side and hurt something in my ribs. But it was minor and healed in about 2 days at most. It wasn’t heavy weight anyway, but not light on my ribs either. But in that room I could barely roll it off because it was a tight space. But yea it healed fairly quick. But atleast I got the weight off. But before I did that I tried waiting a few seconds to rest but it didn’t work because the weight was too much to just lay on my chest.

If you’re going to be using a barbell for solo workouts try to improvise a system where the barbell is hanging in the air (suspended off the ceiling) just high enough so that your neck and chest can fit. I saw a system like this somewhere online and it seemed to work well.

You ask this on menshealth and here, well I guess ya want as many answers as possible.

Get a rack and suspend chains or use the pins.

Don’t worry about fractures NOW, if you had some broken bones you would have noticed immediately because it’s very painful.

Get a power rack.

don’t use clamps so you can tilt the bar and let plates slide off…and why the hell did you have the door locked, thats just stupid

Never, never lock your weights on the bar when doing horizontal pressing. That is a formula for disaster. You have to be able let the weights slide off.

It’s not funny, cuz you could have been really hurt, but I can’t help but laugh. It’s as if you tried to make the situation as dangerous as possible.

…I suffered 1st degree burns over my entire body, I don’t know what went wrong, I was in my room with the door locked, and I had just layed down dried hay on my floor. I went over to my barrel of fireworks and lit the wik, it all went downhill from their.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Stu`s advice is all you need. If you are training alone use dumbbells. Now that you have had the shit scared out of you I am sure you will never do that again! Be safe and happy lifting.
P.S your ribcage can withstand an amazing amount of abuse, it protects some pretty import shit and is there for a reason.[/quote]

I agree. If available, equipment can be smartly used to insure that you survive to train another day as well. Like press in a power rack, but if you don’t have one in your room that obviously won’t be an option.

oh good lord…

i have some questions for you:

how old are you? how much do you weigh? how tall are you?

those questions are for me to try and get some idea of your body size.

the reason im trying to get some idea of your body size is that i dont really see how the barbell would have been resting on your chest during a floor press anyway.

if anyone doesnt understand what im getting at there, try it for yourself. lay down on a floor, and pretend you are bench pressing. unless a person is just ridiculously huge AND has short t-rex arms, i dont see how the barbell could be resting on the chest in the bottom of the movement.

i have definitely done floor presses before, and after reading this guys story i lied down on the floor just to check- the bar would be about 5 inches off my chest at the bottom of the movement.

in conclusion, the OP is either a mamoth beast with t-rex arms, a complete moron, a liar that thought he had an impressive story, or maybe i have no idea what a floor press is. perhaps when i lay on the gym floor, in a power rack, with the pins set just at the point the my elbows/upper arms touch the floor, maybe im not really doing a floor press.

of course, if the OP is a youngster, none of the above conclusion may apply, because his body could be oddly proportioned from just not being done growing.

Drop the bar over your neck, just under your chin. Assuming you have T-rex arms AND are rediculously fat, your chest could get stuck under the bar. However, unless you’re the elephant man, you can probably turn your head sideways and slide out from under it if it landed by your neck.

Unless you were using 25lb plates. At which point… you probably shoulda just made the lift.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Drop the bar over your neck, just under your chin. Assuming you have T-rex arms AND are rediculously fat, your chest could get stuck under the bar. However, unless you’re the elephant man, you can probably turn your head sideways and slide out from under it if it landed by your neck.

Unless you were using 25lb plates. At which point… you probably shoulda just made the lift.[/quote]

true.

i just thought about this again and cant make sense of it other than maybe the OP doesnt know what a floor press is.

im not quite sure how the OP got under the bar in the first place, T-rex arms and all of that aside. and when the [OTHER] sets were over, what did the OP do with the barbell? in a floor press, if a rep is missed, you still end up in the same position that you were in at the start of the set, so missed rep or not, the position would be the same as the endings of the other sets which i suppose he didnt miss reps, so wtf did he do with the barbell for those sets?

im calling major bullshit on this until the OP clearly explains how any of this makes any sense.

I didn’t even notice that until now. I only got pinned on the bench press. I was assuming that was what he was talking about. lol

[quote]Otep wrote:

Unless you were using 25lb plates. At which point… you probably shoulda just made the lift.[/quote]

I’m reading this thread and thank god someone finally said this! Floor presses…duh. Bar to neck, tilt head, slide out. All the rest of you, including the original poster, deserve the Darwin Award. Please do not procreate. I know its your human right to spawn children but you must remember, before modern conveniences, the polite society we enjoy, and the extinction of dinasaurs and having no real natural predators, you idiots would have perished long ago - never having the chance to infect the gene pool with your substandard genetics. So please, observe and respect the spirit of natural selection - and do not have children.

Have you guys stopped to think that he may have been lifting with 25 lbs. on each side and considered that he may have a body the size of a 10 year old’s? :smiley:

Floor press is a full range bench for me. One of my training partners cannot touch his elbows to the ground when he floor presses.