T Nation

When Will You Be Satisfied with Your Physique?

Easy question, maybe not so easy to answer. For me it would be reaching a level of size and leanness that made people seriously question if I was still natural. I’m not talking Joe and Steve who work out twice a week and have no goals. I’m talking other guys and gals who know how hard it is to achieve a fitness model type physique.

So, will you ever be satisfied? Are you happy with where you are?

IMO…the point is understanding how to perpetually ‘dangle the carrot’ just out of reach. It’s fine to take a moment to enjoy a current accomplishment; but then it’s on to the next goal.

Applause is the spur of noble minds, the end and aim of weak ones.

I have a client who isn’t going to be competing until this coming Fall. The woman is naturally lean (and tall at about 5’7). Her current diet has her maintaining her overall size, and she actually seems to be tightening a bit as well just from more well planned workouts. Despite people in the gym constantly telling her how great she looks, she’s expressed to me that she feels fat all the time. Obviously arguing back and forth is pointless, as I too would continually whine about my own physique when others asked (I need more size, I need to be leaner, I look like crap…)

After some thought, what I told her, and this is something that I actually paraphrased either from DaVinci, or Chuck Jones (can’t remember who -lol)was :

“If we ever felt satisfied with our work, we’d never have reach the levels we have, or are going to. Satisfaction leads to mediocrity.”

To me, as a bodybuilder, you can always be working towards getting better. Be it more overall size, bringing up a weak point, focusing on your conditioning etc. No one should ever look in the mirror and say “yep, that looks good. Guess I’m done!”

S

I think there is room for satiety and progress. I?m satisfied with what I?ve done so far, but I won?t be satisfied in the future if I stay where I am.

I might be satisfied with a big rich meal, doesn?t mean I won?t be hungry again.

I don’t think complacency is a necessary component of being satisfied.

“I’m a strong believer in the philosophy of staying hungry.”

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
IMO…the point is understanding how to perpetually ‘dangle the carrot’ just out of reach. It’s fine to take a moment to enjoy a current accomplishment; but then it’s on to the next goal.

Applause is the spur of noble minds, the end and aim of weak ones. [/quote]

Yep.

“+1 lb on the bar”

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
No one should ever look in the mirror and say “yep, that looks good. Guess I’m done!”

[/quote]

Plus, that’s not really an option going forward. The body isn’t static so if “they’re done” then they’re still going to have to work forever at staying in that ‘done’ state of being.

After I compete in a bodybuilding show, I will be momentarily satisfied. However, I will never stop building a better body because. I don’t settle for mediocrity. That’s just my nature.

I would say a stronger version of Greg Plitt with legs.

Recently a random guy at the gym said to me “Why do you still come to the gym man? You’re there.”

It was absurd to me. First of all, because there’s LOTS of people way more impressive than me in many ways; I realize this was kind of a big fish, little pond thing. Second, if I was happy with where I’m at, to me that would seem like I’d wasted all that effort…if I had nothing left to strive for in this pursuit. I mean sure, if I become a quadruple amputee, I’ll find something else productive to invest my time and effort into. But that not being the case, why stop once you’ve come this far?

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
Recently a random guy at the gym said to me “Why do you still come to the gym man? You’re there.”

It was absurd to me. First of all, because there’s LOTS of people way more impressive than me in many ways; I realize this was kind of a big fish, little pond thing. Second, if I was happy with where I’m at, to me that would seem like I’d wasted all that effort…if I had nothing left to strive for in this pursuit. I mean sure, if I become a quadruple amputee, I’ll find something else productive to invest my time and effort into. But that not being the case, why stop once you’ve come this far?[/quote]

Agree 100%.The never ending journey of always trying to better yourself is what i love about this sport.There really is no finish line.