When Will the Bodybuilding-Youtube Connection End?

So as I’m reading through various bodybuilding forums, and seeing countless people discussing (trashing) people with youtube channels focused on bodybuilding and fitness who obviously prop themselves up as authorities on every single aspect of such, I find myself wondering when “all of this” will be just something we laugh about.

How long until we look back and rattle off names of guys who may have loved the sport, may have been able to regurgitate quotes spoken by others very well (be them scientists or even top competitors), may even have been pretty successful in exaggerating (lying?) about their own accomplishments with the iron, and laugh about what a strange period of years it was?

S

2 Likes

With free info people have no reason to complain. Can take the advice or leave it.

It will never really end, but it could move to a new platform. Before youtube all the BS was printed in magazines. And some of what was printed in magazines was probably good, but most of it wasn’t. Well, nobody reads anymore so everything is on youtube.

And let’s be clear about what people are doing on youtube. They’re mostly just trying to monetize their content and accumulate as many views as possible. In addition, they may be sponsored by certain products and they receive perks directly from manufacturers for promoting them (this mostly seems to happen on instagram).

If there were changes to the way content is monetized on youtube some of these fitness gurus might move more of their content to other social media. But the simple fact is, as long as people keep clicking on these videos (all the people trash talking it are contributing clicks too), they’re not going anywhere.

3 Likes

That’s absolutely normal compared to the numbnut bodybuilders who sell life coaching services.

Someone please tell me what “life coaching” even is. Most of the so called life coaches I know of are barely making ends meet and living the level of “life” I did when I was in college.

S

4 Likes

Maybe they teach people how to shop, eat and go to the toilet. Vital skills that kids learn.

Lol my wife could use some advice on how to shop (I keed! I keed!)

S

2 Likes