T Nation

When to Use the OLY Shoes

Other than squatting, what do you use the OLY shoes for? I just got mine and don’t want to ruin them. I haven’t gone to the gym with them yet. I plan to squat with them for sure, and test out the bench and DL in them, as well as OHP. But are there any movements not to do them in?

I pretty much do any static movement in them. Most event and moving training they come off.

I wear sneakers for my warmups and mobility work, and then the lifting shoes go on for all bar work. If I’m doing any plyo jumps or sprints at the end of my workout the sneakers go back on. I have a heavy pair of steel-toed workboots for outside event/throw training. Jumps, running/cardio, and basically anything that is not weightlifting related should not be done in weightlifting shoes if you want them to last.

I use oly shoes on squat, any overhead/push pressing, any olympic lifts, and bench press. For some reason I really like them for benching. All other stuff, as in sprints, plyos, DB work, mobility, I’ll use a trainer-type shoe.

Thanks guys!

Olympic lifts, squat, deadlift( only seen Russian lifters do it), bench - personal preference, OH(push press) -should do it with them on

I use them for all lifting because I compete in Oly lifting, the title of this forum. Maybe ask in the powerlifting section.

I think benching in weightlifting shoes is just unnecessary. Probably more of a placebo than any biomechanical advantage. I use them for squats, deadlifts, and the olympic lifts. I put them on as soon as I get on the platform.

[quote]hm954 wrote:
I think benching in weightlifting shoes is just unnecessary. Probably more of a placebo than any biomechanical advantage. I use them for squats, deadlifts, and the olympic lifts. I put them on as soon as I get on the platform.[/quote]

Seems like a pain in the ass to change your shoes to bench.

I figure they will BP in their shoes as they are doing the BP/ whatever exercise after using the Oly shoes for OLifts/ squats.

Koing

use 'em for everything including bench, helps positioning if you arch, not for deadlift, flat footed is mechanically better