T Nation

When to Train Abs?

need every pro’s answer! about abs!
right now, i’m at 20%body fat, I never seen my abs before
but after a million researches, I got one question without answered

when should I train abs?
I stop training abs because i realized that I won’t see them until at least 10% or lower bf, I know all my macros n i know what to do know to get to 10%, n i been building my muscle size for 6 years, but i stopped make muscles bigger because i decided i want abs

but the QUSETION is, that if training muscle cause the muscle to be bigger, then wouldn’t it be easier if i lower my body fat until i see my flat abs then I start training them, n they would just pop out beautifully, n because I stop training abs for a year, they should be quiet flat n easy to grow,just like how when u train every part of ur mscle in ur body, it grows fast in the first 6 month

or i should work on my abs alone with other party of my body?

I do big 5 complex excercise, if u don’t know what that is u r not pro enough to answer my question, not trying to be offensive, just needed a serious question. thanks everyone

[quote]tuinx wrote:
I do big 5 complex excercise, if u don’t know what that is u r not pro enough[/quote]

Im not pro enough

Damn

I wish I was “the pro enough”

First, what are your goals?
Why are you using a program you do not trust?

why wouldn’t you always train all your body parts, unless one is so freakishly over developed that it just looks awful? though there are very, very few people like that.

Your showing up for ski jumping lessons without knowing how to ski…

Name a single bodybuilder who worships the big 5… whatever that the hell is. Your problem is you think you know far too much about training. Your 20% bodyfat and call yourself a bodybuilder? Set some goals. Lose the fat and determine how much you need to build up each of your muscles, including your abs in order to look the part.

There’s no point in training abs unless you can see how different exercises effect the size and shape of your structure. Your not going to be able to tell this with all the flubber. Only then you can pick what works for you

I don’t think ab training and growth contributes to the visibility or the way they look that much, unless you are going to go balls to the wall with it. I personally mainly train them for stability and injury purposes. You can generally have decent looking abs just losing the fat.

dafuq did I just read

  1. Don’t be that guy who thinks your better then everyone. You might not mean it but you come off that way really strongly. And lolololololololol on the pro enough thing
  2. Train them now
    There’s no reason not to train them as long as they don’t make your waist big
    No obliques obviously if bodybuilding is your goal
    Just weighted chin ups and leg raises do it for me
  1. Keep training them while you diet down, nothing more dissapointing than getting your bodyfat low and realising your abs suck. Abs starting to show is a nice reward as you get deep into a diet.

  2. in regards to actually training them, i give abs their own 1 hour session like i would chest or back, i pick 4 or 5 exersizes, and use relatively high volume in the 12-15 rep range as a generality.

Just losing bodyfat won’t leave you ‘flat abs’ unless there’s some muscle there. Ever seen someone who’s “skinny-fat” before?

I see no rational reason not to do at least some ab training if you eventually want some degree of musculature in the area once you lean down. That doesn’t mean you need to go on some insane ab-centric program where you’re destroying your midsection 5x a week, but a basic 2x/week approach at the end of a larger bodypart session, isn’t a bad idea.

S

(for the record, I AM “pro-enough” -lol)

^ lol
He actual pro

Do a bit of ab work. Throw it in at the end of your session a couple times a week. You’re not really going to make them huge but you can at least make them a bit better looking. Plus strengthening your stabilizer muscles is never a bad idea.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Just losing bodyfat won’t leave you ‘flat abs’ unless there’s some muscle there. Ever seen someone who’s “skinny-fat” before?

I see no rational reason not to do at least some ab training if you eventually want some degree of musculature in the area once you lean down. That doesn’t mean you need to go on some insane ab-centric program where you’re destroying your midsection 5x a week, but a basic 2x/week approach at the end of a larger bodypart session, isn’t a bad idea.

S

(for the record, I AM “pro-enough” -lol)
[/quote]

Im a pro wrestler…am I pro enough?

every day relentlessly. anyone who says these muscles need to rest are looking for an awesome set of abs, obliques, and serrattus. you want them strong? go hard every day. forearms, core and calf muscle can be done everyday.

What is the maximum waist line of a pro?
29?
26?
23?

[quote]BHappy wrote:
What is the maximum waist line of a pro?
29?
26?
23?[/quote]

Really?

Considering that the smallest waistline of the pros when everything was natural was 30 (at the minimum) and 33 (as a norm)… I’d imagine they’re quite a bit bigger now.

Well mine is under 29, i new i am not a BB. I was implying that he might not be able to have free advice from a pro. He might borrow a book at the library but he should be happy that a non pro is willing to answer for free. I was outlining that his demand is not reasonable like you realized.

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:
Your showing up for ski jumping lessons without knowing how to ski…

Name a single bodybuilder who worships the big 5… whatever that the hell is. Your problem is you think you know far too much about training. Your 20% bodyfat and call yourself a bodybuilder? Set some goals. Lose the fat and determine how much you need to build up each of your muscles, including your abs in order to look the part.

There’s no point in training abs unless you can see how different exercises effect the size and shape of your structure. Your not going to be able to tell this with all the flubber. Only then you can pick what works for you[/quote]

*You’re