When to Take Zink & Magnesium

Like the subject says, I am trying to figure out what is the best time to take Zink & Magnesium supplements. 4 weeks ago I bought T-nations ZMA, and I am still confused as to when I should take it, I often go 2 days without taking it. Plus the directions on the back are not helping me much.

When do u guys usually take urs?

thx in advance

I take it before bed, I tend to take it more often on days that I lift than on days that I don’t. Either way it gives me some killer dreams.

What you can do is have 3 ZMA by night.
If you feel you are Zinc Deficient, then get a Zinc Supplement that ends in -ate (cromATE) etc etc
Have 60g in the morning, 60g in between your 1st 2nd meal.
Then taper down to 0g and just keep up with the ZMA by night.

[quote]mog16 wrote:
I take it before bed, I tend to take it more often on days that I lift than on days that I don’t. Either way it gives me some killer dreams.[/quote]

The main reason I take it is for the dreams. It’s like an acid trip every night.

really my ZMA dont do that

[quote]someguy1234 wrote:
really my ZMA dont do that[/quote]

yeh i was the same til the last 24 hours…my god must be something in the water supply :smiley:

Before you sleep, on an empty stomach

[quote]jtg987 wrote:
someguy1234 wrote:
really my ZMA dont do that

yeh i was the same til the last 24 hours…my god must be something in the water supply :D[/quote]

God bless your avatar.

I ran out the previous night and yesterday i had the weirdest fucking dream of my life last night, i have no fucking clue as too what was going on in my head

You want to avoid taking zinc with a meal that’s high in Calcium. My last meal before bed is either a shake or cottage cheese, so I take my Zinc with an afternoon meal. I don’t really give a crap about the dreams or the supposed sleep benefits.

Just take it 30-45 minutes before bed with lots of water, and then you can still have your bedtime shake or cottage cheese as the ZMA will have been absorbed or well on the way to dreamland :slight_smile:

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:
Like the subject says, I am trying to figure out what is the best time to take Zink & Magnesium supplements. 4 weeks ago I bought T-nations ZMA, and I am still confused as to when I should take it, I often go 2 days without taking it. Plus the directions on the back are not helping me much.

When do u guys usually take urs?

thx in advance[/quote]

“Take 3 capsules a day for Men or 2 capsules a day for women, 30-60 minutes prior to bedtime. For best results, take on an empty stomach, or avoid taking with foods and supplements containing Calcium.”

How in the world is this hard to understand?

[quote]Mr.Bill wrote:
Just take it 30-45 minutes before bed with lots of water, and then you can still have your bedtime shake or cottage cheese as the ZMA will have been absorbed or well on the way to dreamland :)[/quote]

Now thats what I am gonna do!!!

the thing with the directions is that a lot of the time I eat something high in calcium before bedtime. Be it something with milk or cottege cheese. So I was getting frustrated because I eat before sleep because I am trying to gain weight (although my job has made that hard), but at the same time I want to take my ZMA.

I take zinc 3-4 times a day and magnesium in the morning. I am going to pick up ZMA its self next time I order from this store.

[quote]Mr.Bill wrote:
Just take it 30-45 minutes before bed with lots of water, and then you can still have your bedtime shake or cottage cheese as the ZMA will have been absorbed or well on the way to dreamland :)[/quote]

Or you could take the ZMA in suppository form while you eat your bedtime meal. I bet it would absorb quite effectively that way.

[quote]NeoSpartan wrote:

the thing with the directions is that a lot of the time I eat something high in calcium before bedtime. Be it something with milk or cottege cheese. So I was getting frustrated because I eat before sleep because I am trying to gain weight (although my job has made that hard), but at the same time I want to take my ZMA.

[/quote]

I see. So you didn’t bother to read the ZMA discussion thread? Your answer was on the second page. Did you search on “ZMA and Calcium” on this site? Your answer was there in the first two links that came up for me.

[quote]Madman2 wrote:
NeoSpartan wrote:

I see. So you didn’t bother to read the ZMA discussion thread? Your answer was on the second page. Did you search on “ZMA and Calcium” on this site? Your answer was there in the first two links that came up for me.[/quote]

lol… this is too much.

I haven’t ever had these vivid dreams, does that mean it’s not working?

Would there be any negative effects if I took it during the day? Cuz sometimes at night, I’m in a crunch between dinner and my bedtime snack, so my stomach is rarely empty.

As for those who have a hard time figuring it out when to take it cuz you have a meal with calcium before bed(ie CC), just take it like 30 min before you have a snack. Should work fine.

Not everyone experiences that side affect. And if you’re not deficient in zinc or magnesium you’re not going to tell a difference. I’m not sure what you mean by ‘working’, its a vitamin.

[quote]Dubbz wrote:
Not everyone experiences that side affect. And if you’re not deficient in zinc or magnesium you’re not going to tell a difference. I’m not sure what you mean by ‘working’, its a vitamin.[/quote]

I meant if I’m not deficient in zinc or magnesium, is there still a benefit to taking ZMA?