T Nation

When to Take Protein?

I have heard it is best to take it right after you workout, but I have also heard take 15-30 minutes after, does it make any difference to how long after you take it or is there a time that is considered best after a workout to take it?

Thanks
Nik

i usually take mine when i get home from the gym, which is like a 7 minute drive has worked fine for me

i see your a goalie, i was as well and played in the chl (qmjhl) are you playing in canada or elsewhere ?

With every meal, which you're eating 5-6 times a day.

What you want after a workout is protein + a decent (20g or more) dose of simple carbs.

Thats sick man, this year I ended up getting snipd from york simcoe express who went on to win silver in the OMHA and ended up skating with a JR C team throughout the year. Hopefully going to be playing in the OP next year. Do you still play?

no im not playin seriously anymore pick up once in a while haha

This is what I use, my first BJJ coach put me on this a while back it and seems to work for all sports so long as your diet is in check.

30 mins after waking up ~ Casein Protein

2 hours prior workout ~ Whey Protein and 15-20 grams of high index carb's

30 minutes after workout ~ Whey Protein and another 15-20 grams of carb's yet again, try putting a apple or fruit in your shake

30 minutes prior to bed ~ Healthy does of Omegas mixed with another Casein shake

Remember also that if your consuming over 75g of protein you have to account for some loss, i.e your body won't metabolize some of it and you'll pee or deuce it out, the prior being hard on your kidneys.

I don't belive this for a second...
A 285lb bb'er is going to metabolise much more than 75g of protein a day, hell a 155lb kid trying to gain mass would.

There's a reason a 1g/1.5grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is the suggested intake for people trying to gain mass.

For clarifcation I meant per meal, 75g cap on each meal.

He's a beginner so the chances of him carrying around a solid 285 is slim to none. Protein consumption should be based off lean weight, the same as carb consumption. I.e your total bodywieght minus your body fat, because fat does not burn in a relaxed state like muscle does, so for sakes of losing bodyfat base all consumption of protein or otherwise intake of nutrients off lean wieght.

As for a beginner, if start at 1.5 grams. Keep it realistic, your not a pro level bodybuilder and your not on juice so just keep it real.

Thanks for the advice guys I have been doing a lot of reading and have been mostly getting 1.5-2 g of protein per lb. I have also been taking some purple K before and after workouts. I am currently at 145-50 pounds and am looking to gain 10-15 pounds of lean muscle (as I am a goaltender and there is no need to get too bulky). I usually have half to a cup of skim milk before I go to bed, so if I gather what you guys have said: anytime within 30 minutes after a workout is ok.